• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Customization

i dont believe i said ruined at any point. im saying that i dont want the sims or animal crossing or whatever. its called pokemon for a reason. all i want to do is make magical creatures fight each other for money. i dont want to play dress up.
Then don`t. Just ignore it and don`t use it. And how does "Pokemon" relate to not changing appearances? And how does "Animal Crossing" mean it too?
You can't even change your clothes in Animal Crossing, you have a set avatar. In Sims you don't even have an avatar, you just screw with creations.
Shut up and get your facts straight. If you want to make a decent argument, get reliable sources first.

Have you ever played Animal Crossing? evidently not. dressing up your character makes up about 1/6 of the entire game. and yes, on Sims, I was mistaken, and i will admit that. I was talking about My Sims, a stupid rip-off of Animal Crossing. The reason I said its called pokemon for a reason is that it is a contraction of 'Pocket' and 'Monsters', not cutesy dress-up. Its all about raising your pokemon to be the strongest, and in turn become the strongest trainer in your respective region.

Maybe you should take your own advise and get YOUR facts straight, because all you've done is make yourself look like a moronic hypocrite.
1. The only Animal Crossing game I played was the first one, so I'm sorry for not researching AC beforehand> Seriously, not being sarcastic.
2. It doesn't mean there couldn't be something else in the series to keep the series fresh. Contests, Pokeleathons (no idea how to spell it), Musicals, and Game Corners are all about distracting you from the main game to do some sort of side activity. Animal Crossing's name isn't "Gamewhereyoumovefurniturearoundandbuyclothes Game", it's called Animal Crossing. You can customize your character in a lot of video games. Pokemon isn't called "gamewhereyoucantrainpokemontodefeatmultiplegymleaderstogetbadgestogainacsesstothepokemonleague" it's called Pokemon. Where in teh title of Pokemon does it say "raise your Pokemon to be the strongest"?
We want to make our character actually look like ourselves, not some Japanese guy with a horrible sense in clothes (Lucas, I'm looking at you). We want to experience the adventure. Just some sort of customization at the beginning is all. We don't need to buy clothes all the way, just some short customization at the beginning. That's it.

The only Animal Crossing game I played was the first one, so I'm sorry for not researching AC beforehand> Seriously, not being sarcastic.

somehow I doubt that.

"gamewhereyoucantrainpokemontodefeatmultiplegymleaderstogetbadgestogainacsesstothepokemonleague"

What the?? they would have to have one hell of a box to put that monstrosity of a title on it. and no one would buy the game anyways. because that name sucks.
I seriously wasn't being sarcastic. Swear.
Pokemon isn't all about battling. Did you even read the other replies to you?
EDIT:
What the?? they would have to have one hell of a box to put that monstrosity of a title on it. and no one would buy the game anyways. because that name sucks.
More than "cutesy dress up"?
The game isn't all about that. It has sidequests, other objectives (beating Team Whatsitsface), and those distractions in the game, such as Pokestar Studios, Musicals, and Contests. One more couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Personally I think trainer customization would be cool. I don't see how it would take away from anything else in the game. I know that I often run around after completing the dex collecting all the accessories and/or medals. How do those take away from the main game? There's about a billion accessories in D/P/Pt. There's like 200 medals in B2/W2. How is trainer customization any different than an added feature like those?

On a different note, getting the clothes of past trainers would be cool. i'd like Hilda's vest. And ponytail. Nice, awesome, huge, flouncy, ponytail. Not to mention it's brown. Playing as a blonde would REALLY tempt me to name her Izzy, and THAT would get confusing. (to me)

I would not mind being able to do a little of my own customization. I would like the option to be there.

Doesn't look like we're getting the option as the PCs seem very set in appearances. Which means that once again I'm stuck with wearing a dress. I'm playing as the guy this time, sick and tired of that crap.

Doesn't look like we're getting the option as the PCs seem very set in appearances. Which means that once again I'm stuck with wearing a dress. I'm playing as the guy this time, sick and tired of that crap.
The PCs look extremely dull in appearance and very abusable. I mean, the changing appearance kind. Not the other kind. That would be sick.
What I'm saying is, the "default" character is usually simple. Take the Miis, for example. They're not very complex so you can just add whatever you want and change anything. They're like a living whiteboard. If you don't like what you see (a dull, white (not being racist) board) then you can add things, change it up, and do whatever you want to it. The PCs of the past generations have a lot of accessories and features, like a wall with graffiti drawn all over it with no room for anything else. These PCs look like an sidewalk, because
1. They are very simple and plain.
2. They are about as appealing as a sidewalk. That a dog crapped on. Owned by a hobo. That was raised by skunks. That lived in a dump (literally). On Jupiter, the gassiest planet in the Milky Way (don't you astronomers dare correct me, I don't know much about astronomy). Inside a New York subway.
Yes, the planet of Jupiter is secretly inside an invisible force field that smells and has the same hygiene as a subway.

They should set up the minimum amount of clothing for default, like shorts and a t-shirt. I wouldn't want kids to have an avatar roam around collecting badges in their underwear just because customizing allows the player to take off the clothes as well. There should be limits.

They should set up the minimum amount of clothing for default, like shorts and a t-shirt. I wouldn't want kids to have an avatar roam around collecting badges in their underwear just because customizing allows the player to take off the clothes as well. There should be limits.
That would be really awkward in whatever Wi-Fi thing we have.

I don't doubt that there is some form of character customization available.

Look at the trailer, specifically the part where the male PC crosses the swinging tree and his glasses are left behind. This point has been beaten to death, but it's highly pertinent. If the shades were attached to the male PC then they wouldn't have been left behind. The character and the glasses are not a single entity. For this reason I would like to believe that there is, if even minimal, character customization.

I think the reason they're a separate model is because they probably serve some purpose beyond simply being aesthetic, and the character at some point will move the sunglasses from their hat to their eyes. They seem "purposeful" more so than being simply a hint towards Character Customization, which would probably, imo, be hinted at with something less...useful? More aesthetic as opposed to something which logically could serve an additional function?

I don't doubt that there is some form of character customization available.

Look at the trailer, specifically the part where the male PC crosses the swinging tree and his glasses are left behind. This point has been beaten to death, but it's highly pertinent. If the shades were attached to the male PC then they wouldn't have been left behind. The character and the glasses are not a single entity. For this reason I would like to believe that there is, if even minimal, character customization.

i hadn't even noticed that til you pointed it out. i too think it would suggest minimal customization. i dont see simple glasses being more purposeful than that, but only because i cant fathom a reason beyond wearing them in a sandstorm? but even that's a stretch. they're too bland and simple beyond them being an adornment on the player character...

that can be removed or changed. ^_^

i dont believe i said ruined at any point. im saying that i dont want the sims or animal crossing or whatever. its called pokemon for a reason. all i want to do is make magical creatures fight each other for money. i dont want to play dress up.
Then don`t. Just ignore it and don`t use it. And how does "Pokemon" relate to not changing appearances? And how does "Animal Crossing" mean it too?
You can't even change your clothes in Animal Crossing, you have a set avatar. In Sims you don't even have an avatar, you just screw with creations.
Shut up and get your facts straight. If you want to make a decent argument, get reliable sources first.

Have you ever played Animal Crossing? evidently not. dressing up your character makes up about 1/6 of the entire game. and yes, on Sims, I was mistaken, and i will admit that. I was talking about My Sims, a stupid rip-off of Animal Crossing. The reason I said its called pokemon for a reason is that it is a contraction of 'Pocket' and 'Monsters', not cutesy dress-up. Its all about raising your pokemon to be the strongest, and in turn become the strongest trainer in your respective region.

Maybe you should take your own advise and get YOUR facts straight, because all you've done is make yourself look like a moronic hypocrite.
1. The only Animal Crossing game I played was the first one, so I'm sorry for not researching AC beforehand> Seriously, not being sarcastic.
2. It doesn't mean there couldn't be something else in the series to keep the series fresh. Contests, Pokeleathons (no idea how to spell it), Musicals, and Game Corners are all about distracting you from the main game to do some sort of side activity. Animal Crossing's name isn't "Gamewhereyoumovefurniturearoundandbuyclothes Game", it's called Animal Crossing. You can customize your character in a lot of video games. Pokemon isn't called "gamewhereyoucantrainpokemontodefeatmultiplegymleaderstogetbadgestogainacsesstothepokemonleague" it's called Pokemon. Where in teh title of Pokemon does it say "raise your Pokemon to be the strongest"?
We want to make our character actually look like ourselves, not some Japanese guy with a horrible sense in clothes (Lucas, I'm looking at you). We want to experience the adventure. Just some sort of customization at the beginning is all. We don't need to buy clothes all the way, just some short customization at the beginning. That's it.

The only Animal Crossing game I played was the first one, so I'm sorry for not researching AC beforehand> Seriously, not being sarcastic.

somehow I doubt that.

"gamewhereyoucantrainpokemontodefeatmultiplegymleaderstogetbadgestogainacsesstothepokemonleague"

EDIT:
The game isn't all about that. It has sidequests, other objectives (beating Team Whatsitsface), and those distractions in the game, such as Pokestar Studios, Musicals, and Contests. One more couldn't hurt.

Really? 'Team Whatsitsface'??? I can't tell if your trying to be funny or if your really this dumb. Also, beating *ehm* 'Team Whatsitsface' as you call them, is part of the main story line, not part of a side-quest. Now I'm seriously doubting if you even played a pokemon game...

somehow I doubt that.

EDIT:

Really? 'Team Whatsitsface'??? I can't tell if your trying to be funny or if your really this dumb. Also, beating *ehm* 'Team Whatsitsface' as you call them, is part of the main story line, not part of a side-quest. Now I'm seriously doubting if you even played a pokemon game...
I was using it as an example because there are different teams for each region. Rocket, Magma, Aqua, Galactic, Plasma, and whatever evil team is in X and Y. Now I'm seriously doubting that you have any common sense... :p
You said the games are all about beating the gym leaders and becoming the best in your region. Defeating some evil team isn't part of beating the gym leaders.

Now, back on the actual topic that this thread was made for.

There are a lot of side activities, like collecting medals and ribbons. I don't see how collecting clothes would be bad, as there are already time wasting things that you can spend your time on achieving and not doing the main game, like the Game Corner, Contests, Musicals and Medals and Ribbons (as mentioned before).

If you're allowed to add clothing/accessories to your Pokemon for the musical, why not apply the same concept to the PC, on a grander scale of course? As much as I want customization, I think mere accessories should not be the limit to what GF can do with this new system. So I'm hoping that we get to use some new features that set this generation apart from the previous 5.

Has it been mentioned here that the games are apparently getting Miiverse features? I could have sworn there was a rumour a while back saying we'd have customizable trainers via Miiverse avatars or something.
I'm hoping to get a character and be able to customize it, but a Mii would do just fine. Maybe the character in the trailer is a prototype or something. We won't know until official artwork is announced. If it is, we have it set. If it isn't, then we'll probably either be able to customize the player or get a Mii for the character. I would like a customizable player character better than the Mii, though.

I would like a customizable player character better than the Mii, though.

This.

I hate the look of Mii's honestly. I can't stand it. In their own little universe, go ahead, have them, they're great. However, if you wish to integrate them into a game, make sure that game has an art style that will support a Mii's integration, because 9/10 times, THEY DON'T.

I'm a bit indifferent for character customization. I'm not really all too sentimental about it. If we have it, sweet! If not, sweet! I still get a new Pokemon game. I don't really care too much about how I look as much as I care about the power of my team.

Customization would be awesome but does that include the character's face like you can change its nose or mouth or eyebrows or something because that seems a bit much, (just changing clothes and hair would be enough for me) but if that's what the majority wants then ok, don't let me hold you back; I'd be perfectly fine with it actually, just as long as it doesn't turn into a fashion contest for humans or something.

Customization would be awesome but does that include the character's face like you can change its nose or mouth or eyebrows or something because that seems a bit much, (just changing clothes and hair would be enough for me) but if that's what the majority wants then ok, don't let me hold you back; I'd be perfectly fine with it actually, just as long as it doesn't turn into a fashion contest for humans or something.
It wouldn't make much sense for the character to change their face in the middle of the game. Maybe you could only change your face at the beginning, along with skin colour, height, and other unchangeable features.

It wouldn't make much sense for the character to change their face in the middle of the game. Maybe you could only change your face at the beginning, along with skin colour, height, and other unchangeable features.
Ha, Ha, Ha. A ditto's cells therapy XD

I hope there is character customization like in PBR. Even if there isn't skin tone customization in the japanese version, Nintendo might add it for the other versions (right?).

Back
Top Bottom