• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Customization

For most of the time I disliked the protagonists designs, so I am really, really happy I am able to change their appearance now. I don't care about their "default" appearances, when I play a game, I want it to be my experience and adventure, so customization was something I always hoped for. It will make the game feel way more... hm, "real" to me. I always enjoy this feature in any game I play, like Animal Crossing and Dragon Quest IX.

Hey guys, I want to bring this up here...wouldn't it be cool if we had the option to change into something that was like a tribute to other Nintendo characters, like a Mario or Link clothes for the male and then we'd have Samus-esque clothing for the female protagonist? That'd be awesome. @__@

Sorry if this was brought up already, didn't check previous pages. D:

Don't think this would work. Pokemon isn't part of the overall Nintendo universe where as it's hinted that things like Animal Crossing are. Pokemon's kind of like in it's own little bubble and only comes out during SSB.

Now Mario/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi hats I can see since that little "Game where Mario wears a bucket on his head" reference. But I can't really see them having the full on costumes or other non-Mario costumes.

I wonder if you'll be able to change skin tone and eye color after the initial selection.

For no reason whatsoever other than my own amusement, I hope there are cross-dressing capabilities.

TTHHIIISSSS. If I can give Y-kun (I am NOT calling the boy X) a mini skirt short enough to rival Hikari's skirt, with the proper grade of zettai ryouiki...I'd be so happy and content.

I could see them adding in a luigi's cap since its his year. I'm not exactly sure the partnership between Nintendo and game freak I always thought it was first party. But I can guarantee Nintendo owns the rights to Pokemon. Also Nintendo allowed link costumes for Monster Hunter 4, I think Pokemon seems pretty likely to get some Nintendo cosplay options

So from a Japanese commercial we've finally gotten a good look at how character customization effects the overworld model. As well as what the interface to change your style will look like.

customize1.jpg

Customize2.jpg

Customize3.jpg

Don't know about you guys but my excitement has just been tripled.

The male clothing customization menu must be slightly different. Game Freak wouldn't give the dress option to the male player.

The male clothing customization menu must be slightly different. Game Freak wouldn't give the dress option to the male player.
Wynaut?

If I have the option to put Calem in the pinkest, frilliest dress ever, you have exceeded my expectations, GF.

Eh, you don't know that. Nintendo EAD allowed male characters to wear dresses, so it is possible (but unlikely) that Game Freak would do the same.

Sometimes, in video game terms, dresses can also mean long coats or one piece outfits.

So on the off chance of crossdressing not being allowed, the icon would probably stay the same.

I'm really liking the look of customization so far. They're really going quite in-depth with it.

Hey guys, I want to bring this up here...wouldn't it be cool if we had the option to change into something that was like a tribute to other Nintendo characters, like a Mario or Link clothes for the male and then we'd have Samus-esque clothing for the female protagonist? That'd be awesome. @__@

Don't think this would work. Pokemon isn't part of the overall Nintendo universe where as it's hinted that things like Animal Crossing are. Pokemon's kind of like in it's own little bubble and only comes out during SSB.

Now Mario/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi hats I can see since that little "Game where Mario wears a bucket on his head" reference. But I can't really see them having the full on costumes or other non-Mario costumes.

Lyra had been wearing clothes that were similar to Super Mario's

I love that pink and white outfit. O_O

Also, I actually think it's looking pretty likely that the males do get the dresses and such as well, seeing that screen.

Animal Crossing allows for cross-dressing. I realize that AC is a first-party game and Pokémon is not. But it's more "connected" to Nintendo than other games. I wouldn't be surprised if it were an option.

Granted, I probably wouldn't use them. Unless I have the option to give my boy PC a fierce wig and makeup, it's pointless for me. But I think the option should (and probably will) be there.

While I'd love to see dresses for male characters, I don't think it's likely. The male and female characters have different models, so I'd expect the clothes available to be very different. The dress icon will probably be replaced with a jacket or something if you're playing a male character.

Well I've been playing Animal Crossing. Seeing a guy in a dress doesn't even phase me anymore.

Lyra had been wearing clothes that were similar to Super Mario's

I'm really starting to think that might be coincidental, because honestly I think I saw a similar outfit in a 1970s Penny's catalog.

ETA: Nope, wait, it was a 1969 High School Fashion LIFE gallery.
13_1201948.jpg
Really, just change the hat and the shirt.

Last edited:
My only real hope is that males can have their hair customized to be longer. That was kind of my disappointment with the hair styles in Animal Crossing, though to be fair, its game models were intended to be very simple.

Back
Top Bottom