• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Customization

I do wonder if we'll be able to design some clothes, sort of like they do in Animal Crossing.
I don't think Game Freak should take that route, with the designs appearing to other players, a lot of players being young and innocent, and the fact that there are a few people who would put things like swears and genitals onto their shirts. Maybe the shirts could be restricted from being worn over the GTS.
They do that with Miis already, and I really doubt Animal Crossing's target age range is outside of Pokemon's.

Anyone else is worried that the customization of your character may be related to paid downloadable content? I hope not... it just occurred to me.

I don't think they'd pull that. The past pokemon related DLCs have been free. The tournaments were free, the pokemon were free, the walker zones were free, the key items were free. The only thing that wasn't free was the Dream Radar, but that was more of a supplemental mini-game than actual in-game content. So, I really don't think they'd make people pay for clothes or customization options of all the other things they could charge for. Besides a lot of the time games resort to paid customization have server costs to uphold, I'm pretty sure they got the server costs covered with the Pokemon Bank thing.

Also, I might just be out of the loop, but is there honestly a Nintendo-only game that you have to pay for DLC stuff?

Anyone else is worried that the customization of your character may be related to paid downloadable content? I hope not... it just occurred to me.

I don't think they'd pull that. The past pokemon related DLCs have been free. The tournaments were free, the pokemon were free, the walker zones were free, the key items were free. The only thing that wasn't free was the Dream Radar, but that was more of a supplemental mini-game than actual in-game content. So, I really don't think they'd make people pay for clothes or customization options of all the other things they could charge for. Besides a lot of the time games resort to paid customization have server costs to uphold, I'm pretty sure they got the server costs covered with the Pokemon Bank thing.

Also, I might just be out of the loop, but is there honestly a Nintendo-only game that you have to pay for DLC stuff?
Pokemon Bank and the newest Mystery Dungeon are paid for. Granted, Pokemon Bank is really cheap, but it still counts as DLC.

A $5 annual fee adds up when you think how many people will be using the service. Also Mystery dungeon is a side game, they've been known to do different things from the main series in the past.

If anything I see them handling clothes and customizing options the same way they've been handling everything else related to the main series and just putting them over wi-fi for free. Maybe even put super special clothing up over Nintendo Zone like they've been doing with the AC items.

Pokemon Bank and the newest Mystery Dungeon are paid for. Granted, Pokemon Bank is really cheap, but it still counts as DLC.

Do you consider Pokemon Box RS or My Pokemon Ranch DLC? Because that's what Pokemon Bank is. The Transporter, on the other hand, is additional content that is tied to the bank, but that's free. In a roundabout way, transferring Pokemon is at a cost, but that couldn't be helped because they couldn't get the DS and 3DS to communicate with each other properly. The bank itself is its own separate entity the same way Pokemon Box RS and My Pokemon Ranch is.

I honestly find it more ridiculous that Dream Radar didn't create this sort of controversy when it's basically functioning the same way the DW does (providing Pokemon with Hidden Abilities), but seems to have had three new forms created specifically for it.

Do you consider Pokemon Box RS or My Pokemon Ranch DLC? Because that's what Pokemon Bank is. The Transporter, on the other hand, is additional content that is tied to the bank, but that's free. In a roundabout way, transferring Pokemon is at a cost, but that couldn't be helped because they couldn't get the DS and 3DS to communicate with each other properly. The bank itself is its own separate entity the same way Pokemon Box RS and My Pokemon Ranch is.

I honestly find it more ridiculous that Dream Radar didn't create this sort of controversy when it's basically functioning the same way the DW does (providing Pokemon with Hidden Abilities), but seems to have had three new forms created specifically for it.

I really don't get why people act like DLC is a crime against humanity. I've played several games where DLC was an option; and it was just that, an option. The games function completely fine without it; it just gives you more options than were originally programmed. And DLC with a fee is rarely more than a cup of coffee or a bag of chips. It's not like you get charged $20 for a new outfit (that is merely aesthetic and doesn't magically transform the game).

I really don't get why people act like DLC is a crime against humanity. I've played several games where DLC was an option; and it was just that, an option. The games function completely fine without it; it just gives you more options than were originally programmed. And DLC with a fee is rarely more than a cup of coffee or a bag of chips. It's not like you get charged $20 for a new outfit (that is merely aesthetic and doesn't magically transform the game).

But paid DLC is a crime, not against the humanity, but against the people who paid for the game. If I buy a game, I want all the content available without needing to pay again for it. Why one must pay again for stuff that was likely cut out of the game to be sold after the release? I really don't get why there are people who defend paid DLC. Unless you work for one of those companies who sell DLC (like EA and Capcom), defending their attitude is baffling.

If they want to make DLC and additional content for XY, that is great. But make it for free. Unless the said additional content is something massive, not just outfits. By massive I mean expansions, like say, the GTA episodes (Ballad of Gay Tony, for example). Also yes, outfits are just aesthetic, but as I said, if I paid for the game, I want the outfits without needing to pay again. It is simple.

But paid DLC is a crime, not against the humanity, but against the people who paid for the game. If I buy a game, I want all the content available without needing to pay again for it. Why one must pay again for stuff that was likely cut out of the game to be sold after the release? I really don't get why there are people who defend paid DLC. Unless you work for one of those companies who sell DLC (like EA and Capcom), defending their attitude is baffling.

If they want to make DLC and additional content for XY, that is great. But make it for free. Unless the said additional content is something massive, not just outfits. By massive I mean expansions, like say, the GTA episodes (Ballad of Gay Tony, for example). Also yes, outfits are just aesthetic, but as I said, if I paid for the game, I want the outfits without needing to pay again. It is simple.

If the game gives you a red shirt which allows you to complete the game, is the green shirt (which is merely aesthetic) owed you? Unless the DLC is required to beat the game in a straight-forward manner, your'e really not getting cheated out of anything. Good DLC adds extra value; it enhances the game for the more dedicated player. I consider good DLC to be the "dessert" of the game. It wasn't required for me to enjoy the main course, but it added something extra. However, if said meal and dessert was served at at a restaurant (in other words, a business, not a meal served by a friend), I'd fully expect to pay for the extra.

Also, I do not work for any gaming company. I do, however, work for a living. I expect to be compensated for the work I do, even if the person enjoying my services thinks it should be free just because they paid for one service at one point in time.

Last edited:
I am mildly bothered by such levels of hostility towards DLC.

While I personally wouldnt want clothing DLC (I'd prefer play coins), I'm not 100% against it, especially of its cheap. I can understand a problem with on-disc DLC, but DLC that comes out a year or so after the game honestly gives me a good reason to play the game again after I haven't touched it in a while.

Well, there already are lots of different outifts for free within the game, so extra outfits being paid DLC is not a bad thing: they would be required to cimplete the game nor they would even be required to fully enjoy the customization feature. Therefore, DLC clothing would be mainly for customization addicts, but for everybody else, its a skippable thing. Myself, I would not buy DCL clothes but since I already like the outfits included for free I would not buy it and that wouldn't affetc my experience, so I'd have no complain with it.

I'll really enjoy new DLC content, that gives new breath for my gaming experiences, even if it being paid. But, by now, the DLC contents are free or cheap, and not a problem. I just thought that, someday, their existence could be the rule and not the exception. The purchase of Pokémon Bank, for example, is almost an obligation for the oldest players, with a lot of pokemons to transfer, over time.

And i don't like the ideas of paid clothes for my character. I'm worried mainly because I am pretty sure that I will buy them xD. But think about the new mechanics of TMs... when the TMs usage are restricted, i almost never used them. Today, I use them frequently, I do tests and it greatly improved my gaming experience. But if I had to pay for them, I turn it back and probably would use less. xD

I want to make clear that this is not a discussion about paying for outfits. Only raised the question of DLCs, unintentionally causing uproar.

Thanks by the viewpoints! They really made ​​me think better about it! Let us return to talking about customize our characters: will be a relief not appear as a generic character at our friends' screen.

I'll really enjoy new DLC content, that gives new breath for my gaming experiences, even if it being paid. But, by now, the DLC contents are free or cheap, and not a problem. I just thought that, someday, their existence could be the rule and not the exception. The purchase of Pokémon Bank, for example, is almost an obligation for the oldest players, with a lot of pokemons to transfer, over time.

And i don't like the ideas of paid clothes for my character. I'm worried mainly because I am pretty sure that I will buy them xD. But think about the new mechanics of TMs... when the TMs usage are restricted, i almost never used them. Today, I use them frequently, I do tests and it greatly improved my gaming experience. But if I had to pay for them, I turn it back and probably would use less. xD

I want to make clear that this is not a discussion about paying for outfits. Only raised the question of DLCs, unintentionally causing uproar.

Thanks by the viewpoints! They really made ​​me think better about it! Let us return to talking about customize our characters: will be a relief not appear as a generic character at our friends' screen.

I'd actually be willing to pay; just as long as they're worth it, like team flare outfit, not pokemaniac or something.

Just saw an Italian trailer with an image of one of the alternate Serena choices.
customized yvonne.png

I can't wait to play as dark-skinned Serena, it's like my exact complexion. ;0;

If they do any paid DLCs, I see them doing them for like secret places that can't be accessed by Wi-Fi items or manually through normal game play. Adding like...lets say the previous regions or some super secret Poke-Alps cave that's completely optional to normal game play seems like a much better thing to pay for than a bunch of useless clothes that in my opinion fall under the realm of what they've been giving away for free for years.

The way I see it is the clothes will be similar to the accessories and props used in the contests in musicals. The only difference is they're for you, they stay on outside of whatever, and they fit better. If they want to give out super special clothes they can just follow AC's example and either use play coins, Spot Pass or Nintendo Zone. There are too many people out there who are sick and tired of paying for pixel clothes. I'm not saying there aren't people who would pay for virtual clothes, because yeah, there are. But there's still a large chunk of people who don't have the money to pay for pixels or finds spending real money on pixels is a stupid idea.

I honestly don't think it's likely that they'll make you pay for that sort of thing (clothes and styles). Additional maps and items and such, maybe, but clothes, I don't think so. The pokemon games are aimed at kids, they know kids don't exactly have a lot of cash laying around for that sort of thing, and parents don't like to buy 'virtual stuff' for kids.

When it comes to dlc clothes I would prefer individual items to be free, most likely distributed in similar ways to gear/pokedex skins or for more special items through events like those used for pokemon distribution, but I would be okay with paid dlc that contained full sets. Examples that I think could be paid would be themed sets like a legacy set that contained all the items needed for previous player outfits or a mario set with mario, luigi and peach outfits, or compilation sets where they may have a series of free promotional items released one at a time then after have a set containing all of them at a price for those who missed it.

I hope more clothes will be DLC, paid or not. I'm not offended by choice and being as fussy as I am, I'll want my character looking exactly how I want them to.

I wouldn't mind if we could 'buy' DLC clothing with play coins. It gives us something to work for without having to cough up the IRL monies.
It would also be a nice way to burn play coins.

But more importantly, what I really want is the option of getting color contacts. What if I want brown eyes on my default Serena? Gray eyes on pale Serena?
What if I want crazy anime color eyes?

I know I may be asking for too much, but with the extent of customization already available to us, not being able to change our eye color alone seems like it'd be a bit irritating.

I wouldn't mind if we could 'buy' DLC clothing with play coins. It gives us something to work for without having to cough up the IRL monies.
It would also be a nice way to burn play coins.

But more importantly, what I really want is the option of getting color contacts. What if I want brown eyes on my default Serena? Gray eyes on pale Serena?
What if I want crazy anime color eyes?

I know I may be asking for too much, but with the extent of customization already available to us, not being able to change our eye color alone seems like it'd be a bit irritating.

I have 160 play coins and I will have more before release; this solves my problem.

Back
Top Bottom