• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Trainer/Player Character Customization Discussion

They've made big, BIG improvements to customization and I'm loving it.

BUT, they really need to get rid of gender-locked anything and everything. There's absolutely no need. Why can't I wear makeup if I'm playing as the masculine-looking character? I guess I can also assume the clothing is gender-locked, too. They really need to learn from Animal Crossing. SMH
yes i dont understand the gender lock. esp for the clothes. maybe it has something to do with Japan's society? idk. I dont play animal crossing but i have been considering trying it out. good to know they don't do that :)

I'm satisfied with the customization options at the moment, but I wish they would just let us pick eye color from the start.

Outlandish eye colours would be dope. Even if it were just by lenses. Stuff like red eyes isn't uncommon in stuff like this.

I hope there’ll be a way to view all or almost all possible clothing items, such as a fashion magazine, and more importantly allow players to plan a look before they actually go out and purchase any clothing. I think it’d be easier for me to find an outfit I liked if I could see all possible options and then put them on my character to see if they go well together.

Anyone got some of their looks down yet? I'm planning on a ceasar haircut, thick eyebrows, red varsity jacket, default pants, and these new shoes I saw in the japanese trailer

View attachment 124653

For hairstyles, since it looks like we won't have any spiky hair options (I'm hoping one day they'll add Dragonball Z type spikes, or even hair similar to Lance) I'll likely go for the longer hairstyle. For hair colour, it will definitely either be white or pink (I'll go pink if I like the shade they use, and white if not). I'll either go with purple eyes if I choose White Hair, or grey/silver eyes with Pink hair. I haven't seen any confirmed clothing options that I'll definitely choose, however, I'm hoping we'll have some cool trench coat options, and some cool looking boots for men. I'll definitely incorporate gloves to my trainer's look as well.

For hairstyles, since it looks like we won't have any spiky hair options (I'm hoping one day they'll add Dragonball Z type spikes, or even hair similar to Lance) I'll likely go for the longer hairstyle. For hair colour, it will definitely either be white or pink (I'll go pink if I like the shade they use, and white if not). I'll either go with purple eyes if I choose White Hair, or grey/silver eyes with Pink hair. I haven't seen any confirmed clothing options that I'll definitely choose, however, I'm hoping we'll have some cool trench coat options, and some cool looking boots for men. I'll definitely incorporate gloves to my trainer's look as well.
It would be awesome to have anime hair as part of hairstyle options.

Adding to what I said before, I think I'll also have my character wear gloves. One, because they're new and I've gotta try them out :p, and two because my favorite PC May had them in her original art and no other girl (or boy for that matter) has worn gloves since.

i plan on using gloves too. they are so much fun and kinda popular in the pokemon world anyway from the start.

I'm really glad this feature is coming back and they haven't scrapped it. It's probably one of my favorite features in Pokemon games, and I feel like it helps me relate more to the main character, for lack of better phrasing.

I'm not sure what I'll have my character be wearing. Gloves for sure though; I like having my avatar in Pokemon Go wearing them, and I'd like to translate that to my character in Sword and Shield too. Some of the characters in the preview trailers have looked really cute too, and I kinda want to use some of those outfits!

I think this may be the dress I end up wearing. I know I should wait until I see more of them, but it's so so pretty and cute. :bulbaLove:I especially love the purple one, but I hope there ends up being a pink one because that would definitely be mine no question.
0edb7a57e4f9c985a13e8206f8e933680a3bc054.jpg

If anyone can let me know if any of those colors say pink, it would help a ton :bulbaWave:
5e908159bacac83711b088191b4f3ffabeb6686a.png

I sadly haven't seen any shoes I like except the ones girly on the left wears because they remind me of the sporty sneakers from Gen 7. The other shoes they've shown have looked way too thick and bulky for my tastes.
2b240e0b6667894acb94ac93d43e4d390be6ee9e.jpg

I think this may be the dress I end up wearing. I know I should wait until I see more of them, but it's so so pretty and cute. :bulbaLove:I especially love the purple one, but I hope there ends up being a pink one because that would definitely be mine no question.
0edb7a57e4f9c985a13e8206f8e933680a3bc054.jpg

If anyone can let me know if any of those colors say pink, it would help a ton :bulbaWave:
5e908159bacac83711b088191b4f3ffabeb6686a.png

I sadly haven't seen any shoes I like except the ones girly on the left wears because they remind me of the sporty sneakers from Gen 7. The other shoes they've shown have looked way too thick and bulky for my tastes.
2b240e0b6667894acb94ac93d43e4d390be6ee9e.jpg
Hopefully they have sandles, Mary Jane's, or heels. I did see some small fur lines boots that you might like tho

Hopefully they have sandles, Mary Jane's, or heels. I did see some small fur lines boots that you might like tho

I think I know the ones you mean, and they were alright. I actually do kind of like the default boots so if I don't see any others I like, I might just stick with those :bulbaLove:

Yes, the colors are Green, Blue, Babble/Papple (?), Pink and Beige.

Great, thanks so much :bulbaLove:

This has probably already been pointed out, so sorry if I'm a bit late to this. I've been spending some time going over the various trailers, and have come to a conclusion regarding customization.
Girls get more options. AGAIN!

The hair options alone are at least 1.5x more than the guys, WITH the addition of having bangs styles separate from the the rest of the hair, plus they have lipstick, eyebrow colors, eye liner, and so on. While we don't know for sure about the total amount of clothing options, as we've only seen some sets, including a Nessa-style outfit, it's obvious that girls are going to get more choices than the guys at this rate.

sigh... Why is it that the guys always get shortchanged in customization? What does GF have against giving both genders equal options? Or did they just run out of "ideas" for male outfits? At least guys can finally have long(ish) hair, though I didn't see any ponytails for guys. Guess that means most players will play as Gloria instead of Victor, since she gets more customization options, just like Serena before her. Damn... that's unfair. While I have nothing against Gloria (I love all the Scottish portrayals and such of her), it's unfair that the guys get the short end of the stick again when it comes to customization. Oh, well, I guess that's just how it goes.

To be fair, stereotypically, there's a lot more to do with women's fashion then men's. Men are expected to just wear t-shirts and jeans. Women are expected to be fashion forward and wear everything under the sun. This unfortunately still isn't animal crossing where everything is gender neutral. They have biases going on.

I'm just glad we have actual functional hoodies for girls now. None of that cropped stuff. Which given that upgrade, I feel like by Gen X they'll figure out how to give the male character more clothes. Baby steps and all that.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom