• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Trainer/Player Character Customization Discussion

That's still little excuse, baby steps or otherwise. And that's also stereotyping men in the process. Not all men wear jeans (I, for one, hate them). And it's not like women are the only beings that are "fashion forward" in the world, so it's not fair to shortchange males because of such a thing. It's not like there aren't any exotic male clothes in the world, so they could branch out into some of those options. Other anime, like Yu-Gi-Oh for one, has extremely exotic male outfits, so why not copy a few ideas from sources like that, since we'll be getting anime-style colors for hair, so that could open up more possibilities. And I'm not looking for gender neutral stuff, either, I'm looking for equal amounts of options. The hair options alone could have things like males with ponytails, dreadlocks and so on, which would help balance things out. Unless the guys can get options to wear clothes like, say, Red and Blue (as much as I detest them), since the girls get a Nessa outfit option, it's pretty clear that GF is bias towards girls when it comes to customization choices. Again, we'll have to see what the total options of clothes are in Sword/Shield, but I doubt guys will get more than the same stuff in different shades at this rate.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this. They could also use characters from their own franchise for options. Look a Wallace, both his Gen 3 and 6 incarnations. He's clearly a fashion forward male, so the could use him for some ideas. Not to mention Juan, too. So, even in their own franchise they have shown that males can have unique fashion choices, so solely calling women fashion forward isn't a good enough excuse.

Last edited:
Male characters are more than likely going to get their own gym leader outfits. Just because the female character got Nessa's uniform, male characters could still get Milo's uniform, Alistair's clothes, or Rosen's suit. I don't see them ignoring Victor in that category as much as the basic outfits. Maybe he will even get a full on suit with a kilt, who knows.

But the stereotyping still stands. Just because there's other clothes out there for men other than T-shirts, polo shirts, and button ups...doesn't mean there going to put as much time into modeling them when women are stereotyped as fasionistas and therefore need more clothes.

Last edited:
Yeah anime male outfits are a good place to look for inspiration on customization options and so are male multicultural options and maybe even historical. There are tons of stuff for males if there isnt restrictions on modern, historical, cultural clothes and hair not to mention those nonexist gender walls for clothes and hair. Anime and modern leaves options for colored hair

I would be completely fine wearing a knight's outfit. I just want some dang medieval/fantasy inspired outfit. There's so much to draw inspiration from it's not even funny.

@Scruffyjay me too. But at the same time I'm just glad they have actual non-cropped t-shirts and hoodies now.

I don't really care if they're skin tight in-game. I just want to dress as close as I do in real life, and that crayon scribble Gengar hoodie and all of the graphics tees they showed will make due.

The next step is making everything baggy then gender neutral, but that probably will never happen unless the Animal Crossing rule or even the Cyberpunk 2077 100% inclustivity thing becomes an industry standard. So in the mean time I'm just glad they realized there are women out there that don't wear cropped tops and tanks all the time. Shopping in the past two gens was like clothes shopping in real life.

Men expected to only wear jeans and shirts.

I mean, jeans are nice and all, but we nowadays have quite a large amount of kinds of pants/trousers/jeans whatever you want to call them. Then there are also stuff like blazers, different kind of jackets, cardigans and all that.

I feel those are just very basic options they should have included at least. Like someone already mentioned, Yu-Gi-Oh has some great and unique casual clothing. Yes, it sometimes is the far extreme of the spectrum, but stuff like Inazuma Eleven merchandise that has casual clothing in also has great clothing that is pretty representative of what men, fashionable lr non-fashionable, tend to wear.

If GameFreak really expects men to wear 'only' jeans and a shirt and you are a person trying to defend that, I think you both are stuck in some very early years.

I get triggered over this way more than I should. Guess I just want to be able to dress my character close to my own fashion sense.

That's still little excuse, baby steps or otherwise. And that's also stereotyping men in the process. Not all men wear jeans (I, for one, hate them). And it's not like women are the only beings that are "fashion forward" in the world, so it's not fair to shortchange males because of such a thing. It's not like there aren't any exotic male clothes in the world, so they could branch out into some of those options. Other anime, like Yu-Gi-Oh for one, has extremely exotic male outfits, so why not copy a few ideas from sources like that, since we'll be getting anime-style colors for hair, so that could open up more possibilities. And I'm not looking for gender neutral stuff, either, I'm looking for equal amounts of options. The hair options alone could have things like males with ponytails, dreadlocks and so on, which would help balance things out. Unless the guys can get options to wear clothes like, say, Red and Blue (as much as I detest them), since the girls get a Nessa outfit option, it's pretty clear that GF is bias towards girls when it comes to customization choices. Again, we'll have to see what the total options of clothes are in Sword/Shield, but I doubt guys will get more than the same stuff in different shades at this rate.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this. They could also use characters from their own franchise for options. Look a Wallace, both his Gen 3 and 6 incarnations. He's clearly a fashion forward male, so the could use him for some ideas. Not to mention Juan, too. So, even in their own franchise they have shown that males can have unique fashion choices, so solely calling women fashion forward isn't a good enough excuse.
this isn't that great of a take tbh. disregarding commentary around gender, beauty, and clothes, girls will inherently have more options: they wear skirts and dresses and there is no real male equivalent to those. there is no real "fair" or "equal" numbers solution here because you always end up with a situation that isn't equal. as an example, Game Freak could make it so that there are a total of 80 clothing options for boys and 100 for girls. unfair right? but what if we remember that the reason girls have more is because they outright have clothing options that aren't available for guys (re: skirts, dresses). would it be fair for them to have 80 total options as well, forcing them to split bottoms among four types rather than two for guys? or would it be fair if guys got 100 and had more overall options (albeit likely a degree redundant) for bottoms?

the solution is to ensure that there's a reasonable number of options for both boys and girls so that most players will be able to create an avatar that makes them happy. and i would say that based off of what we've seen so far, especially on the boys' side, there's definitely good options.

Awesome we got gloves. I'm hoping to see some fingerless or even one hand-only styles. Did I say how psyched I am to see jackets and shirts separate from each other? Cuz I am!

I'm sure there may be clipping issues but still hope we see some hoodies in the jacket area. Maybe some hoodie's in the shirt area too so we can have vests in the jackets for some real shouen protag outfit combos.

this isn't that great of a take tbh. disregarding commentary around gender, beauty, and clothes, girls will inherently have more options: they wear skirts and dresses and there is no real male equivalent to those. there is no real "fair" or "equal" numbers solution here because you always end up with a situation that isn't equal. as an example, Game Freak could make it so that there are a total of 80 clothing options for boys and 100 for girls. unfair right? but what if we remember that the reason girls have more is because they outright have clothing options that aren't available for guys (re: skirts, dresses). would it be fair for them to have 80 total options as well, forcing them to split bottoms among four types rather than two for guys? or would it be fair if guys got 100 and had more overall options (albeit likely a degree redundant) for bottoms?

the solution is to ensure that there's a reasonable number of options for both boys and girls so that most players will be able to create an avatar that makes them happy. and i would say that based off of what we've seen so far, especially on the boys' side, there's definitely good options.
I have to disagree. And I know it is just clothes, so it's "not important" but honestly living in USA I am tired of all the "crap" about clothes all the time. There are alot of equivalents if Historical clothing and Cultural clothing is not ignored/limited. Men do and can wear skirt like things (or dresses if you want to go with that but I'd call them robe like things) and still be different from females who also still and do wear skirts and dresses and robes. The gender clothes issue just needs to go away or get greatly expanded on if you are still going to gender lock for whatever silly reason.

Outside Western cultures, men's clothing commonly includes skirts and skirt-like garments; however, in North America and much of Europe, the wearing of a skirt is today usually seen as typical for women and girls and not men and boys, the most notable exceptions being the cassock and the kilt. People have variously attempted to promote the wearing of skirts by men in Western culture and to do away with this gender distinction, albeit with limited general success[1] and considerable cultural resistance.[2] Men's skirts - Wikipedia

Just let boys wear skirts :bulbaLove:
well a kilt is basically a plaid skirt for men and is accepted in western culture while other things arent for some reason.
Has anyone noticed/seen a Kilt in SwSh yet anyway? (on the male, I think i have seen the female)
I think I remember in the older pokemon games some of the male NPCs had hakama.

The bottom line is that locking clothing behind a gender wall is unnecessarily restrictive.

It doesn't matter at all that there are inherently more feminine clothing options than masculine. At ALL. What matters is that they design and code in all these designs, and then go the extra step in coding that makes it so you don't have all the options available to you. You have about half. For no real reason.

I have to disagree. And I know it is just clothes, so it's "not important" but honestly living in USA I am tired of all the "crap" about clothes all the time. There are alot of equivalents if Historical clothing and Cultural clothing is not ignored/limited. Men do and can wear skirt like things (or dresses if you want to go with that but I'd call them robe like things) and still be different from females who also still and do wear skirts and dresses and robes. The gender clothes issue just needs to go away or get greatly expanded on if you are still going to gender lock for whatever silly reason.

Outside Western cultures, men's clothing commonly includes skirts and skirt-like garments; however, in North America and much of Europe, the wearing of a skirt is today usually seen as typical for women and girls and not men and boys, the most notable exceptions being the cassock and the kilt. People have variously attempted to promote the wearing of skirts by men in Western culture and to do away with this gender distinction, albeit with limited general success[1] and considerable cultural resistance.[2] Men's skirts - Wikipedia
i mean, i quite literally in my second sentence said i didn't want to get into the cultural discussion surrounding gender and clothing. i don't disagree, but it's not really fundamentally relevant to what i was responding to in the person's post.

i mean, i quite literally in my second sentence said i didn't want to get into the cultural discussion surrounding gender and clothing. i don't disagree, but it's not really fundamentally relevant to what i was responding to in the person's post.
Except you said there is no equivlant because girls have skirts and dresses however this game would be the perfect opportunity to use kilts for guys which is a good example of an option that is equal to skirts and is male clothing. Im not challenging im just pointing out that there are things that are male that are equal to girls dresses and skirts.

I wish GameFreak and TPCi shared the progressive West’s understanding of the arbitrariness of gender norms but they still have a ways to go.
Funny, because the anime has featured cross-dressing since way back in season 1 all the way up to now.
Plus the costuming of numerous boss trainers... That's the part that gets me the most. The player can't wear the kinds of things you see some of their boss trainers wear.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom