• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Trainer/Player Character Customization Discussion

We don't even know if we are forced to wear sporting attire in those stadiums yet. It's entirely possible that the sporting attire is just one of many customisation options we have, and they opted to showcase said sporting attire to match the stadium they were in.

I am at least hoping we aren't forced to wear any specific attire in game, as that irritates me. I hated that Pokémon Ride made me wear ugly outfits, and I definitely do not want to be forced to wear sporting attire, even if it is just for a small portion of the game.

It looks more likely to have specific costumes for specific events. We were also given special costumes to participate in Contests and Pokethalon

It looks like the jersey is just for the specific event, after all they have forced costume changes for various events. It will probably be something along the lines of an NPC at the beginning of the stadium being like "Would you like to challenge this gym/stadium? Ok cool, just go get changed into your jersey" and the screen goes black or something, and then you are changed into it. And once you leave they will likely force you out of it.

I don't think they would stop putting trainer customization in just because there is one forced costume change. I mean heck, look at SM and USUM, where anytime you used Pokeride it changed your clothes into a special outfit. Trainer customization has become a big part of the games, and I think the developers know that not including it is a downgrade. It's become almost a staple to the series. I mean heck even Let's Go has a much smaller form of trainer customization, and it's a remake (I don't expect this for all future remakes though, because it's more along the lines of "I can customize my PIkachu/Eevee so I want to be able to match them").

i'm guessing the player characters would be named Ares and Athena, god and goddess of war.

We got god of sun and goddess of moon in SM, and in XY there's calm and serene, and SwSh seems to have the XY's peace opposite theme, which is war.

And! Let us have backpacks or bags that are not all just "Original Purse/Backpack slightly edited". Maybe my character doesn't want to be carrying around a purse. Maybe that guy over there wants a beautiful frill/bejeweled bag
given the bag the male PC has this time.........i can only hope they'll give us an alternative. please GF, i'm begging you.

I don't remember, have we ever been allowed to make modifications to the protagonists' backpacks before? It's been a while since I've messed with character customization in both XY/SM, but I don't remember that being a thing in particular. =x
Well, you can buy different bags, but they are more or less three or four styles in different colors.

EDIT: Also, you can dye some in SM.

Well, you can buy different bags, but they are more or less three or four styles in different colors.

EDIT: Also, you can dye some in SM.

Ah, ok. Shouldn't be a huge deal then for some who pick the male protag to switch out his travel luggage of a backpack if they aren't really fans of it.

.... This is, of course, assuming Game Freak allows different styles, anyway, which I hope they do.

It seems unlikely Gamefreak would let the male protagonist wear female gear like her purse. Or anything, really.

Not that I'd mind it.

Why would Game Freak allow the male protagonist to wear female clothes/gear? It is a counterintuitive thing to ask for.

I would like more unisex/gender neutral clothing in Pokémon games, however.

Last edited:
Why would Game Freak allow the male protagonist to wear female gear? It is a counterintuitive thing to ask for.

You're asking this in 2019?
Besides, the bag the female character is wearing isn’t gendered by looks. It’s fairly neutral:

Fun fact: traditional clothing from Scotland:

So skirts for males in Galar, particularly the PC's town isn’t an issue :p
I don’t particularly see any issue with enabling every clothing item to be gender neutral, but I don’t think GameFreak would do it now, to prevent controversies.

Last edited:
You're asking this in 2019?
I don’t particularly see any issue with enabling every clothing item to be gender neutral, but I don’t think GameFreak would do it now, to prevent controversies
You answered your own question. ;)

Besides, the bag the female character is wearing isn’t gendered by looks. It’s fairly neutral
I agree it looks gender neutral. I would sure rather have my male protagonist wear it over that...huge... wardrobe.

Fun fact: traditional clothing from Scotland
There is a difference between traditional Scotish skirts and regular female skirts. And a Scotsman would probably kick the shit out of someone who said his skirt is "female clothing". I wouldn't have the guts to say it to his face. And I advise you to not do it either.

Last edited:
You answered your own question.

Yeah, but males wearing female clothing inherently isn’t counterintuitive.

Unfortunately there are still people who want to impose restrictions on others which wouldn’t affect them. I wouldn’t go further than that, since it becomes off topic for this forum.

Allowing all accessories (and hairstyles) to be unisex shouldn’t be too difficult though.
And the bag we were discussing already looks gender neutral.

I hope GameFreak includes a kilt clothing option though. It’s just the kind of attention GameFreak thrives on- memes.

I agree with the majority of what's been said in the thread, clothing for both genders, ability to not wear a fridge on your back as a male, I'm like 99% certain clothing customisation will make a return (ORAS didn't have it because it was a remake of a game that didn't) and definitely need long pants. One of the many reasons I hated Gen 7 was the limitation on clothing, I hate tropical clothes.

As for clothing customisation, I bring you this from the Direct, looks like a T-shirt on the sign, most likely a clothing store, what else could it be?
unknown.png

I don't care what people want to wear. I just want to age my trainer into an adult. If not in the main story then at least let me customize for online. I remember a game on the GameCube or Wii, I don't remember exactly, but you could use several avatars, one was a big dude that looked like a cross between Lt Surge and the sailor NPCs. I really liked it.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom