• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Trainer/Player Character Customization Discussion

Also, can they let us make our protagonists look older in some way? This way, I don't have to feel weird playing as a character who is a decade younger than I am.

Eh, being a girl gamer who grew up before there were a whole lot of games that even thought to allow me the option to play as a girl I've basically gotten used to playing as someone who wasn't me. That said, I do prefer older looking protagonists like Hilbert, Hilda, Calem, and Serena. The older I get the more I'm just like "no how on earth could you let literal children just... wander the wilderness with monsters and criminal organizations running around, tasked with filling an encyclopedia??? All the professors save Sycamore and Juniper are hella irresponsible. I was 10-12 once. Doing math homework was a seen as a major pain in the neck and all written assignments were completed with the most minimal of efforts I could afford while still getting high c's to low a's. Why on earth are you tasking kids this age to DO RESEARCH FOR YOU.

...That said it'd be nice to have at least 2 options for 'age'. Younger... tweens I guess and then Older teens. That'd let kids be kids and us older people can at least not feel like our character needs a babysitter to get through the day. Though I better not see the younger side of the options looking like 6 year olds at best like Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee pulled. Frickin old people looked like the wittleest babby kids.

Also, can they let us make our protagonists look older in some way? This way, I don't have to feel weird playing as a character who is a decade younger than I am.

Eh, they did a good job with Hilbert, Hilda, Calem and Serena.

Too bad they then just undid it with Helio and Selene and the LGPE protags.

Version exclusive clothing was a terrible idea and whoever thought it up is a terrible person. :p

Also for the male/female clothing being worn by female/males option discussion from before....

Animal Crossing has allowed boys to wear dresses and skirts and the world hasn't set itself on fire yet so I don't see why it'd be a problem. Plus Ash has crossdressed at multiple points since THE FIRST SEASON and the world seems pretty not on fire from it to me. Plus cross dressing was, at least in the past, James's big THING.

Plus I liked some of the male clothing a lot and hated that I couldn't wear it as a girl. Like, 90% of my irl shirts are bought in the men's section. I don't always wanna dress my girl up like a pretty pretty princess. Only sometimes.

This too to a degree. I'm replaying Y now and while I'm having an absolute blast dressing up Serena (Her outfits are so gooooood!), when I get to the cold snowy areas, it just... lacks. Like there are 2 coat options, but they don't look very warm, the boots don't really seem to be warm for your feet either in the cold and she doesn't have any knit caps. A knit cap and a puffer jacket like Calem can use would be very nice to have in that case.

Also, can we get gloves please?

Last edited:
You got your wish with Sword/Shield.

The Galar protags still look pretty young though. Not as young as the others I mentioned, but not older than the two pairs I mentioned before that.

Little bit of an in-between age, I guess. A bit younger than Nate and Rosa, I suppose.

The Galar protags still look pretty young though. Not as young as the others I mentioned, but not older than the two pairs I mentioned before that.

Little bit of an in-between age, I guess. A bit younger than Nate and Rosa, I suppose.

They look older than Helos/Selene and definitely older than Chase/Elaine. And I doubt we're ever going to go older than that, since I don’t think adults will be the protagonists.
The SS protags look around the same age as the XY ones to me.

To be fair, something you think is ugly, might be the best one out of all for people.

I think that is the nice thing from customization, there's a clothing piece to everyone's liking amongst the options.

Oh, I never meant to say it was ugly. I found my favorite pieces quite early on in USUM. But I never understood why you would limit certain colors for the sheer sake of version exclusivity.

Oh, I never meant to say it was ugly. I found my favorite pieces quite early on in USUM. But I never understood why you would limit certain colors for the sheer sake of version exclusivity.

Oh, yeah, like that. Seems I misunderstood.

Yeah, that's just stupid and a cheap attempt at trying to get people to get both games. (But then again, you can't trade clothing so that makes it even more stupid.)

II do definitely think the SS protagonists look older in this game, around the same age as Hilbert/Hilda and Calem/Serena, which makes me a happy camper. I never really understood the idea of sending 10 year olds, so the more teenage they make their characters look, the better. Sure, most teenagers aren't much more prepared to go out and enter the world than they were when they were 10, but like hey, it's better than 10.

I don't think we'll get an age customization feature anytime soon, even though that would be really cool to see. I've never really had a desire to play as me in a Pokemon game (though some of my trainers have looked somewhat similar), but I have characters (Pokemon OCs or other characters for short stories that I've wrote) that I would love to play as in a Pokemon game, and it would be really cool to have that aging feature so I can make the trainers more resemble my characters.

I think the biggest things I want customization wise for these games are more clothing options for both the female and male trainer, and to have no version exclusive clothes. That was absolutely annoying in SM and USUM. Hopefully they saw the hate with that and won't be doing that with these games. I also think it would be really cool if the clothing options weren't gender exclusive.

I thought you could. Isn't there an option to order other players outfits in the Plaza?
Yes there is, no 'Two games buying" necessary. You just need... luck in the dumpster fire that is Festival Plaza. Cause you need someone wearing the right item in your FP and they need to offer it for sale... And ]the less said about FP as a concept the better...

That said, I'm not strictly against version-exclusive clothing, but it really shouldn't be more difficult than obtaining version exclusive Pokemon. I mean, that is not particularly difficult, with all the online features available nowadays.

Also, I wouldn't mind if they went back to Boutique-style stores, where you can see the items on display and each isn't a copy-paste of the others. Not sure how much I like the stock depending on the day of the week, but at the same time there's something nice about the displays changing. Maybe instead they can change the displays weekly and offer other clothing if you speak to the clerk or something?

I also agree that they should go back to making the clothing styles diverse. SM/USUM were so disappointing with their clothing choices where the male character only having tank tops and t shirts, while at least in XY the male character could choose from button-up shirts and fedoras and parkas and stuff.

I also agree that they should go back to making the clothing styles diverse. SM/USUM were so disappointing with their clothing choices where the male character only having tank tops and t shirts, while at least in XY the male character could choose from button-up shirts and fedoras and parkas and stuff.
This will most likely happen. Galar is not a tropical island archipelago like Alola is.

This will most likely happen. Galar is not a tropical island archipelago like Alola is.
Alola had snowy and rainy areas too, so a couple of weather appropriate clothes wouldn't have been out of place.

Speaking of rain, I wouldn't mind getting held items such as umbrellas. I mean, if NPCs can hold em, why no us? Bug nets, tools, whatever else some trainer classes might be carrying. The main purpose of the game might not be customisation, but it's not like these items weren't already used...

We definitely have trainer customization as shown by the trailer, hopefully, its really diverse in regards to style and such. I'm honestly tired of looking like i cant dress haha, but im not too worried about that cause if we get some of the outfits from LGPE (cough cough the sylveon outfit) ill be fine

Maybe a little bit more of an outrageous one, but I'd also like stuff like capes, cloaks, scarfs, bandanas and long coats. Enough people in the Pokémon world wear those, so why not yourself?

We definitely have trainer customization as shown by the trailer, hopefully, its really diverse in regards to style and such. I'm honestly tired of looking like i cant dress haha, but im not too worried about that cause if we get some of the outfits from LGPE (cough cough the sylveon outfit) ill be fine
Actually, no. The shot of the trainer in the sports uniform is the only shot we have of the PC wearing an outfit other than the default, and you might be required to wear said uniform in order to challenge the gyms.

Actually, no. The shot of the trainer in the sports uniform is the only shot we have of the PC wearing an outfit other than the default, and you might be required to wear said uniform in order to challenge the gyms.
lol no I’m not talking about that shot if you pause the Pokémon direct at the moment where Ohmori is speaking in the background you can see a barbershop symbol on one of the stores as well as a store that has a black shirt logo…it’s extremely easy to miss as it’s so small but I’m like 89% sure that’s it

Last edited:
Playing through Pokemon X again because why not. Gosh, while I did love having lots of color options for the character customization in Gen 7, I think I much prefer most of the outfit choices for Gen 6. Just a lot more diversity with the kinds of styles. And wow I have missed dresses a lot. I have to say it is annoying sometimes when I am looking for a certain piece of clothing, but it's only out on a certain day. But I would much rather have that then version exclusive colors. So if Gen 8 were to bring back one of these two hindrances, I would prefer the weekday exclusive items. I really just hope we can buy anything any day.

Also (and I possibly mentioned this before, I can't remember), but can we please have changing rooms in the Pokemon Centers again? It was quite annoying in Sun and Moon when I wanted to change my style and I had to backtrack to a shop if I wanted to (worse if I had to talk it) I mean K know we're on smaller islands, but when there is a million miles of grass between me and the town with the clothing shop, that can still take a while.

Last edited:
Now that we are moving to the Switch, I'm hoping they take advantage and take character customisation even further. I'd be all for choosing an age bracket (kid, young teen, late teen, adult) as options so that older players do not need to play as children. At the very least, I'd be happy if the games didn't constantly specify that we are children (NPCs bending down to talk to us, referencing us as children, etc) and just have it so that our ages are never referenced and majority of NPCs not bending down to talk to us, to better imagine that our characters are older.

I am really hoping we have a lot more variety than ever before, and not make unnecessary restrictions on types of clothing that we can wear. Choosing from a wide range of different colours for all clothing options would be a huge bonus.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom