• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Trainer/Player Character Customization Discussion

I wish GameFreak and TPCi shared the progressive West’s understanding of the arbitrariness of gender norms but they still have a ways to go.
Funny, because the anime has featured cross-dressing since way back in season 1 all the way up to now.
Well i kinda wonder if it has more to do with trying not to offend than gf and tpci having an issue with it. I mean they have gotten criticism from some countries about the swimmer trainers

Well i kinda wonder if it has more to do with trying not to offend than gf and tpci having an issue with it. I mean they have gotten criticism from some countries about the swimmer trainers

And then there was also the whole Nessa controversy.

I thought of something the other day and I remembered that in SMUSUM, there were certain hairstyles that prevented you from wearing a hat. I get that they probably don't want to have to deal with reshaping every hat with certain hairs and it's just easier to make them unusable, but I was really disappointed by that so I really hope it doesn't happen in these games. :(

Same! I hated when I picked a hairstyle I thought was cute, but then I couldn't wear my fancy hat over it! I wanted to make my trainer look like one of them rich women you saw at horse races in nice clothes and big hats with nice hair. Y'know since she was super rich and all that. :p

I'm weird like that sometimes all the time.

As many others have mentioned, they could add kilts and other regional-traditional clothing, which would be perfectly reasonable.

Last edited:
I didn't like clothes and hairstyles in Pokemon Sun and Moon. XY's were better. But, as far as I can see, clothes look better in Sword and Shield.

That's still little excuse, baby steps or otherwise. And that's also stereotyping men in the process. Not all men wear jeans (I, for one, hate them). And it's not like women are the only beings that are "fashion forward" in the world, so it's not fair to shortchange males because of such a thing. It's not like there aren't any exotic male clothes in the world, so they could branch out into some of those options. Other anime, like Yu-Gi-Oh for one, has extremely exotic male outfits, so why not copy a few ideas from sources like that, since we'll be getting anime-style colors for hair, so that could open up more possibilities. And I'm not looking for gender neutral stuff, either, I'm looking for equal amounts of options. The hair options alone could have things like males with ponytails, dreadlocks and so on, which would help balance things out. Unless the guys can get options to wear clothes like, say, Red and Blue (as much as I detest them), since the girls get a Nessa outfit option, it's pretty clear that GF is bias towards girls when it comes to customization choices. Again, we'll have to see what the total options of clothes are in Sword/Shield, but I doubt guys will get more than the same stuff in different shades at this rate.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this. They could also use characters from their own franchise for options. Look a Wallace, both his Gen 3 and 6 incarnations. He's clearly a fashion forward male, so the could use him for some ideas. Not to mention Juan, too. So, even in their own franchise they have shown that males can have unique fashion choices, so solely calling women fashion forward isn't a good enough excuse.

Speaking of Yu-Gi-Oh, If I ever get a white, sleeveless coat that looks like Kaiba's in a Pokémon game, that'd make me happier than I should admit. Kaiba's outfit is one of my favourite outfits I've ever seen.

Quite frankly, I'm happy if I can get red hair again. And by that, I mean this orange colour that you sorta have when you have natural red hair - gen 7 did not have it. Thanks a lot

Otherwise I'm likely getting long sleeved clothes so I'll be more than fine.

On the topic of "gender-locking" clothes... Well, I personally wouldn't mind (more like, care) if the male character got skirts/dresses/feminine clothing in general (and the other way around) but don't go the full unisex/genderneutral way.

Irl I really hate it when I find a cool (thin fabric) hoodie or other kind of top online and it's unisex, because either it'll be too tight around the bust or hips for me, or look like I'm wearing a sack.
Female and male bodies have different base shapes, and so do the character models. For some clothing, say wide hoodies, they can be unisex and it doesn't matter because either way they'd look about the same on either.
But a dress will just not look the same on a young teen boy's body as on a young teen girl's body.

(So, in conclusion - don't go fully genderneutral with clothing because on models with a more detailed body than Animal Crossing or Miis....just nope. But I don't mind having genderneutral options for appropriate clothing along with the standard choices.)

Hasn't been pointed out yet, I think, but I feel like it's a nice plus that you can adjust your eyebrow width now. It feels like such a random thing to add customisation for, yet kinda nice.

Otherwise, overall I was already satisfied with gen 6's customisation overall and while gen 7 majorly disappointed me (not fond of tropical clothes, didn't really like the hairstyles either, no more red hair...) it looks like gen 8 will be a plus to gen 6 in terms of customisation so really, I'm pretty happy about it.
With all the sliders in question here in the thread, you might as well be asking to play The Sims with a Pokémon expansion pack

The toxic concept of Masculine vs Feminine makes everything less fun~

Give us more dudes like Wallace. That man knows how to fashion. :bulbaLove:
And Juan! That's just one hell of a Sir! And how I still would love to have his jacket but customisable!! :cool:
I thought it was a shame to not have noble apparel in XY due to the region and the Battle Chateau!

I want a dress and hat like Nelly's.

Then I also want hoodies and hats with Pokémon heads? Something similiar to Fiffi's.

As far as the poses and expressions go, it looks like we're getting more than the PR videos and Photo Clubs did.

It will also be a lot easier to chose and play around with than the former as well, so that's a plus.

I hope to see more old-school protagonist outfits. I miss the Pkmn trainer look that we had for our main characters with Pkballs, instead of the real-world looking clothes that we seem to be getting and that starter with XY.

I'm not certain if posts pertaining to League Cards fit here, but I'll post anyway.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I remember correctly, supposedly League Cards have some information regarding the person on them. I think it would be pretty neat if you could select a nature, characteristic, first region/game, favorite region, favorite typing, favorite Pokemon, favorite Galar starter, favorite curry flavor, perfect team, and trainer class to be displayed on the "back" of the card, as well as sign them if you've beaten the league. Basically like one of those trainer cards from Pokécharms, but with far more customization and information on them.

It'd be pretty boring if you got League Cards from other players and they had almost zero information on them.

Last edited:
I feel like they'd have interview questions that you can answer with preset words and phrases like you could answer in Festival Plaza. I would also be cool if you could put how long you've been playing pokemon in general instead of just how long you've been playing Sword and/or Shield.

Maybe they'll also bring back the bios and stickers from Black and White. Using the stickers in place of the preset word bios would bring flair to the back of the card. Maybe they can allow drawings so you could actually autograph the back of the card? The latter would be great if you ran into famous people that also play.

Also instead of your whole team, why not have your most used pokemon listed as your ace? That way the back of the card would have a lot more room for personal stats, autographs, questions and I would think all your online/link stats as well.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom