• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVENT: Trainers of Fanfiction Submission thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The Writers Workshop
CyC8vMS.png

A community event focused around your characters!​

Welcome! It's back again!

What it is
Trainers of Fanfiction will take characters from across the Writers Workshop and focus on them in mini interviews. If you're familiar with Humans of New York, that is the general style we'll be working towards: questions presented to the character that is being focused on, as well as their in-character answer to it. Insight into specific aspects of a character's development, personality, history or trivia can certainly be tricky to cover within a chapter, especially if this insight can be seen as relatively minor. Here's an opportunity to approach from a different format and get that insight out there for your readers!

The theme
Some of you may recall we ran this event last year, with the theme of characters who travel extensively. This round's theme will be family members. Doesn't matter what kin of family members, adopted or otherwise: typically the characters will probably be family of a main character, but this isn't a requirement

Questions!
As with Humans of New York, Trainers of Fanfiction will focus on a set of up to four questions that your characters will answer. We've come up with a lot of great questions, these are the ones we'll be using this time around!
  • Tell us about yourself! How are you related to Character X?
  • What is your family like?
  • Would you say Character X takes after you?
  • What are you proudest of/do you admire most about Character X?
  • Do you approve of what Character X does?
  • How well do you and Character X keep in touch?
Of course, you know your own characters better than anyone else. If you can think of any personalized questions that are specific to them that you'd like them to answer, let us know!

How to participate
Interested in participating in this? Let us know by replying to this thread (or by contacting a member of the moderator team if you'd like to do so privately) with the following information and we'll get in touch with you for further details:
  • Story title
  • Character name
  • Character type (protagonist, antagonist, etc)
  • Whether they are in a currently published story or not. Yes, we're including characters that have not been publicly introduced to the Writers Workshop yet! However, we will prioritize publicly released characters over these if there is an overwhelming level of character submissions.
  • Choose up to four of the above questions that they'll be answering.
  • Optional: the character design information highlighted in the "A Lovely Look" section in the following post. We can go over this later when we contact you, so no need to worry about this right away.
Keep in mind that we are currently only accepting just one character per author at the moment. If you'd like to pair up two characters into one interview (as seen in the preview example below), that is possible as well!

Please note, there is a 1000 word limit to answer all four questions. BBcode formatting only, please.

Does your story focus on the pokémon rather than trainers, such as a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon story? Don't worry! Pokémon characters can also take part in this event just fine. Questions will be adjusted as necessary to fit their role within their story. What if you don't write Pokémon fanfiction? No problem, non-Pokémon fandom characters are allowed.

6MHYHIC.png
What will this look like?
Humans of New York features photos of the people interviewed. While we would love to provide the same level of attention to your characters with drawn art, it's highly impractical. However, we do have another thing in store for the graphical section, something reminiscent of the Pokémon games! Here's a quick preview of what one will look like:

5DAknEo.png

Always wanted to see a visual representation of what you imagine your characters to look like? Here's a good chance to see that happen. There are a couple of options for bringing your characters to life:

A customized character
@Misfit Angel has been hard at work on creating customizable characters for a personal project of hers and will be bringing that work to the table. These characters are highly customizable (male preview, female preview), so yours can likely be put together without too much difficulty.

If you are requesting a custom character, tell us about their appearance! It can either be a special formal outfit in the spirit of being interviewed, or what they traditionally wear while they're out on their adventures. Things to note:
  • Skin color, eye color and hair color/style.
  • Whether they typically wear lipstick or eyeshadow and what color it is.
  • Which pose you would like to use.
  • Their clothing. The following slots are available for customization: headwear/glasses, shirts, jackets, pants/skirts, socks/stockings, footwear and gloves. Colors are fully customizable for all of them, so include those as well!
  • What type of Pokéball they'll have attached to their belt (male characters) or in their hand (female characters). These can be customized as well if you describe what colors they should be.
  • There are too many clothing options already drawn to reasonably list, but @Misfit Angel isn't afraid to take on new designs that she currently lacks! If you'd like a specialized design on any piece of clothing, such as a logo, floral patterns or a striped pattern, those can be arranged as well!
  • While not necessary, real world examples of the clothing your character wears can be helpful! If you've got any pictures you've used as inspiration for your character's outfit, send them in alongside the details!
A standard trainer class
If you'd like to stand out further from the crowd with a trainer class representing your character instead, the following can be adjusted:
  • Skin color, eye color, hair color and clothing colors.
  • Light edits (emphasis on light) can likely be made to certain aspects such as hair style and clothing. If it proves too difficult to work with, we will contact you with an explanation of the problem and discuss further options.
  • Only Generation 4 and Generation 5 trainer classes are available, as they match the art style of the custom characters. Any trainer class from D/P/Pt, HG/SS and BW/BW2 are available to choose from, be they regular trainers, Gym Leaders, Elite Four members or other classes.
  • As with the custom characters above, if your trainer class features a visible Pokéball, let us know if you'd like that changed and in what manner!
Not human?
Is your character a pokémon? No sweat, we can cover that. Let us know the following:
  • Species
  • Is it shiny? Does it have a different coloration?
  • Which generation of graphics you'd like to represent it. Despite the different art styles, Gen VI and Gen VII are allowed, as these are the only options for certain species.
The details
To make this event the best we can, we'll need some other details as well:
That's all!
Apologies for this lengthy post, folks! There's a lot of information to digest and a lot of information to pass along to us if you're interested in participating. We're really excited to see how this turns out, so let's put together an impressive list of characters and interviews!

If you have any questions, please let us know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question: does the character have to be a trainer themselves? I have a character in mind, but they don't raise Pokémon/aren't a Pokémon themselves. Would they qualify?

My submission for Trainers of Fanfiction, framed as a police interview if possible. It's an unusual take, so I've fuzzed out potential spoilers for my fic. Actual interview may reveal spoilers, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

• Story title: KAIJUMON
• Character name: Alex Costa
• Character type: Ex-husband and Antagonist
• In a completed published story

• Questions (based off examples + 1 personalized question, in order asked):
1. Mr. Costa, could you describe what you were doing last night, please?
2. How well do you and your ex-wife keep in touch?
3. Do you approve of your ex-wife?
4. Are you proud of your son?​

• Character design:
• Trainer class: Infielder. Pokéball changed to baseball/softball (absolute must for character; willing to change class if Pokéball can't be changed). If possible, black uniform instead of white, no hat logo.
• Where: Police interrogation room. A small room with a table, chairs, and a single door would be plenty. Feel free to use "edge of map" black border tiles.
• Tileset: Any (they seem to be mostly outdoor-themed, so I'll settle for anything with indoor tiles).​

EDIT: I had half an hour with nothing to do. Would this be allowed?
Infielder Edit.png

Infielder Edit Double Scale.png

Colors have been posterized to 16-bit color depth, just like the games. Kept the transparency border of the official sprite, just in case it's needed. First image is 80x80, second image is 160x160 with no interpolation (each "pixel" is double size). Color palette is larger, though I'm not sure how Gen 5 handles sprite coloring.

Last edited:
Here's my Trainers of Fanfiction admission for this year.

Story title: Pokemon: A Marvelous Journey
Character name: Kassia Parisa
Character type: Mother of Julia and Amara Parisa

Questions:
  1. Tell us a little about yourself. How did you get to where you are now?
  2. Would you say Amara or Julia take after you?
  3. Do you approve of what your daughters have been doing?
  4. What are you proudest of/do you admire most about your daughters?

Character design: She's in her early fifties, fair skinned, with curly/frizzy light brown hair that stretches down to her back and light green eyes. She normally wears a purple shirt with sleeves that go a little past her elbows but not too long, light blue jeans, and grey sneakers. Confident pose would be preferable, thanks.
Where: New Bark Town.

Is all of this specific enough?

Sweet, I actually have a fitting character this time.

Story title:
Hunter, Haunted
Character name: Abe Akai
Character type: Side character, half-brother of main character
In a published story: Yes

Questions:
  1. Tell us about yourself. How are you related to Red?
  2. What is your family like?
  3. Would you say you and Red are alike?
  4. Do you approve of what Red does?
Character design: I've drawn him a couple of times, and while the pics are a bit old, his design hasn't changed. Here are some pics:
And here's a verbal rundown for clarification and additional detail:
  • Olive skin (Middle Eastern heritage, or whatever the poké-equivalent of the Middle East is), dark brown eyes and shaggy dark brown hair.
  • No lipstick and no eye shadow, but does have glasses with thickish dark red rims.
  • Body type is short and kinda scrawny. Around 15 years old. I'd like the Suspicious pose.
  • He wears the Gen I version of canon Red's outfit, which nicely enough got an updated illustration with LGPE. However, he doesn't wear the cap, but does wear black fingerless gloves.
  • He shouldn't have a Pokéball.
Setting: Interview would take place on Route 21, but my interpretation is more vast than the actual in-game look of it. Here's a snippet from HH to set the scene:
The scent of the sea fills the air, then the sight of it appears in the horizon.

Numerous beach chairs, parasols and towels lie scattered on the pale sand, in use of people and mon alike. Most of the humans seem to be casually dressed and chatting or playing volleyball. Only a few brave ones are trying their luck with the still quite chilly water, shivering in their swimsuits. A lot of the mon, however, aren't held back by the sea’s low temperature, as proven by their playing and excited noises. The water and ice types seem to be getting the most out of it, splashing each other and chasing wild krabby. The fire types, on the other hand, prefer to keep as far away as the grassy areas beyond the sand, watching the leaves of the surrounding birches flutter, waiting for their owners to run out of fun and return.

I step onto the wooden walkway that extends to a pier farther on, not wanting to drag my pant legs through the
No people or mon required or expected outside Abe himself, just giving context here. I don't really mind what tileset is used as long as it gets that beachy feeling with verdant grass and trees at the edge of the sand.

The most realistic scenario would be some older students conducting this interview as part of some assignment, but it's definitely not a must. I can just have Abe answer questions without questioning why he's being questioned.

• Story title: Pokemon Shine Diamond
  • Character name: Joanna Solberg
  • Character type: Supporting character (Dawn's mom)
  • She is in a published story
  • The Questions:

• Would you say Dawn takes after you?
Yes! She has long desired to be a coordinator like me, and I have done my best to support that dream.
  • What are you proudest of/do you admire most about Dawn?
I am so proud she made it to the Grand Festival finals on her very first try--that's a lot better than I did in my first Grand Festival. Her determination and will to succeed carried her that far, and I truly believe she will be a Divine Coordinator, or even a Contest Mistress, one day.
  • Do you approve of what Dawn does?
I wholeheartedly approve of what Dawn is doing! She has always had a love of the stage and Contests, even showing me her Pokemon dolls' "appeals" for me to judge.
  • How well do you and Dawn keep in touch?
We talk very regularly--at least once or twice a week as my own coordinating schedule permits. On our last talk, she was very excited to be participating in the Wallace Cup. While I have worked with Wallace many a time, I have never had the chance to compete in the Cup. I have high hopes she will do well. She's in good hands with Ash and Brock.

Looks wise, I'd be okay with a recreation of her in game sprite from D/P; but if necessary I can provide a reference of her anime look to turn into a sprite.

Setting: Inside a D/P style Contest Hall, done in RSE style.

If possible, I will request she not be shared on the social channels.

Last edited:
Oh man, you know, this is the perfect opportunity for me to flesh out a character that I really need to give more of a spotlight to. Alright. Here goes.

Story Title: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation
Character Name: Alex
Character Type: Side/support character, stepfather of main character

Questions:
  1. What is your family like?
  2. Would you say Character X takes after you?
  3. What are you proudest of/do you admire most about Character X?
  4. Do you approve of what Character X does?
Character design:
Species: Magmortar
(As an aside, I'm kinda disappointed that all official up-close depictions of Magmortar have it with a very sinister smile. That's basically the exact opposite of Alex's personality, who is much more doting and delicate. If there's any way to work around this, I'm open. Maybe depicting him from the back so we don't have to see the sinister face of canon Magmortar, and maybe add some... PMD sweat sprites behind him? No idea. But it's something I just came up with in my head.)

(...Oh! What if you just used the Mystery Dungeon sprites? Maybe? No? Another possibility. Either way, Sky / Gen IV works.)

Details:
Location: Ludicolo Cafe. If anybody is familiar with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Sky's Spinda Cafe, it's largely a similar vibe, only with a Ludicolo as host/owner and proper staff for sandwiches, smoothies, and snacks!

I'm kinda digging the RSE Mountain tileset for this, though I'm not sure if having it take place in a building would work, if that's the case... If the interview has to take place somewhere outside, The same tileset still works, but maybe it can be just outside the cafe, or otherwise along the field near Hot Spot? The tile sets are all the same. If the former, somewhere in Kilo Village, it's generally a road of smoothed rock and plant life along the edges. If it's the field outside of Hot Spot, it's with a mountainside on one side, and an open field on the other, the two halves separated by a path of flatter grass and dirt.

The circumstances of the interview could be someone from the Thousand Hearts interviewing Alex about Owen as part of the acceptance process for said Charmander becoming a full-fledged member.

If you need any other info (or I missed something...) let me know and I'll amend it here!

Last edited:
tfw you realize that this is probably going to end up being even more tragic than the story proper

Story Title: Dungeons & Dragonite
Character Name: Nathalie Leroux
Character Type: Deuteroprotagonist? Sort of? Can I answer this later lol?
In a currently published story: Yes ma'am

Questions:
Tell us about yourself! How are you related to Character X!
Would you say Character X takes after you?
What are you proudest of/do you admire most about Character X?
Do you approve of what Character X does?

Story Title: Land of the Roses
Character Name: Annabelle Valenzi-Fairbrooke
Character Type: Minor/Supporting, mother of protagonist Kimberly Fairbrooke
In a currently published story: Yes.

Questions:
  1. Tell us about yourself! How are you related to Kimberly?
  2. Do you approve of what Kimberly does?
  3. What do you admire most about Kimberly?
  4. How well do you and Kimberly keep in touch?
Character design:
  • Artwork is already finished and ready for use.
Details:
  • Location will either be the interior of Fairbrooke Manor or the executive office of the Valenzi Foundation headquarters, I've not decided yet
  • Lanark Tileset, of course

Story title: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Delta Dossiers
Character name: Rokko Lycanroc
Character type: Supporting character, Peter's father

Questions:
What is your family like?
Would you say Peter takes after you?
What are you proudest of about Peter?
Do you approve of what Peter does?

Design: A Lycanroc, with a slightly darker shade of red and more ruffled fur compared than normal. Also, it has a serene and serious smile rather than the typical crazed smirk.
Location: Wooden house, very similar to Alec's house from MOTHER 3.
6220.png

Well, what the hell. This may or may not actually see the light of day, maybe in multiple ways! But since I looked at it a couple days ago and am slightly motivated, it'd be from something very different from the so far, and it's a better family thing than my other idea...

Story Title: Great Beastslayer Resplandor
Character Name: Armando Nieves
Character Type: Secondary character
In a Published Story?: No, but soon(tm), could technically start it RIGHT NOW but want to write a bit more and tweak a bit first.

Questions:
  • Tell us about yourself!
  • What is your family like?
  • Tell us about your project and children's importance in it.
  • Are you proud of your children?

Design: Armando is in his 50s. He has thick glasses, and wears a Homburg hat. He's in a padded white buttoned waistcoat, which is worn overtop a dull shirt with long Dolman sleeves. His lower bodywear matches. Think like a 1920s motif and you should be good! Likely suspicious pose, but with arms crossed in front if at all possible.

In front of a brick and mortar house close to a three-way intersection. A brick and mortar house that's two floors high, with a garage that's just as big on the side. The door is made of wood, and there's a ragged mat in front of it. The road and surrounding areas are just dirt. This one may be beyond any of the tilesets, however - pretty much something old-time and almost wasteland-ish.

The most "meh, effort" practical? Somewhere generic and deserty/mountainy. Or possibly his backyard, where vegetables are being grown off to the sides.

There's a third possibility that's labish, but it'd be way more ambitious. Depends.

Story Title: Mirror Adventures
Character Name: Saki Grace (but almost always goes by simply her last name, Grace)
Character Type: Major supporting character; she's the mother of her daughter Serena Grace.
Whether they are in a currently published story or not: Yes

Questions:
  1. Tell us about yourself! How are you related to Serena?
  2. Would you say your daughter takes after you?
  3. What do you admire most about Serena?
  4. Do you approve of what your daughter does?

Character Design:
Looks identical to her canon counterpart (particularly her anime one, as seen here). I think she'd look most appropriate in the "Happy" pose.

Interview Location:
A random location in Lumiose City (or possibly next to one of its famous monuments — like the Prism Tower, or anything that's practical to create artwork for).

Is there a deadline? April's almost over...

Anyway, here is my submission.

Story title: None yet.
Character name: Lyon Bellerose
Character Type: Major supporting character, the younger brother of Johto's Elite Four Will.
Not part of a published story.

Questions:

What is your family like?

Well, my brother is in the Johto Elite Four so I rarely see him in person. I spent most of my time at home near Camphrier with Staravia before I started travelling, reading books by the fire. My parents aren't very involved in my life, or my brother's. It's quite an unusual family but it's always been normal to me.

Why don't you want to be a Pokemon trainer?
Usually, people speak about how they'd like to become stronger and that they have this drive to do it. I'm not like that. I don't care very much about battling to be honest. I suppose... Well, I just want to travel with Staravia for a while, and enjoy myself.

Do you approve of what Will does?
...Yeah, I do. I guess. It's pretty cool, you know?

How well do you and Will keep in touch?
Pretty well. I mean, we're brothers. He calls me every week on the Holocaster, and he also teleports here from time to time, maybe a few times each month?

Interview Location: Vernal Street, Lumiose.

Appearance:
The Rich Boy trainer class. He's most similar to the Unova one, but with extremely dark brown hair (it looks black, except for the highlights being brown), and slightly tanned skin. Also, he wears a black suit + tie, not a white one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom