• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVENT: Trainers of Fanfiction Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The Writers Workshop
CyC8vMS.png

A community event focused around your characters!​

Welcome! It's that time of year again!

What it is
Trainers of Fanfiction will take characters from across the Writers Workshop and focus on them in mini interviews. If you're familiar with Humans of New York, that is the general style we'll be working towards: questions presented to the character that is being focused on, as well as their in-character answer to it. Insight into specific aspects of a character's development, personality, history or trivia can certainly be tricky to cover within a chapter, especially if this insight can be seen as relatively minor. Here's an opportunity to approach from a different format and get that insight out there for your readers!

The theme
This round's theme will focus on the people less seen in fanfiction - the professionals. What does this mean? Well, characters who aren't trainers, coordinators, or rescue team members. In other words, characters who don't have League or Guild-based jobs!

How to participate
Interested in participating in this? This year we have a Google form for event submissions, which can be found here.

Please note, there is a 1500 word limit to answer all questions.

Does your story focus on the pokémon rather than humans, such as a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon story? Don't worry! Pokémon characters can also take part in this event just fine. Questions will be adjusted as necessary to fit their role within their story. What if you don't write Pokémon fanfiction? No problem, non-Pokémon fandom characters are allowed.

6MHYHIC.png

What will this look like?
Humans of New York features photos of the people interviewed. While we would love to provide the same level of attention to your characters with drawn art, it's highly impractical. However, we do have another thing in store for the graphical section, something reminiscent of the Pokémon games! Here's a quick preview of what one will look like (Bear in mind we may tweak the design a little!):

nHQ4XwW.png

Always wanted to see a visual representation of what you imagine your characters to look like? Here's a good chance to see that happen. Please note that we are unable to do sprite work for post-Generation V characters - another art style will be substituted for those.

That's all!
That's all for now folks! We've run this event a few years in a row now, so regulars will know the routine. We're really excited to see how this turns out, so let's put together an impressive list of characters and interviews!

If you have any questions, please let us know!

A few questions!

First, would it be possible for the questions to be posted here in the thread as well in a spoiler? Can still have people submit through the form, but just in case someone can't fill out the form in one sitting or want to type their responses beforehand or want to see the questions without having to sift through the entire form or whatever the reason is, they can have the questions readily available. I guess my concern is if someone's in the middle of filling out the form and they lose their stuff before they can submit it; to my knowledge, Google Forms doesn't offer back ups on submissions, so if it's lost before then, it's lost, and I know that can be frustrating.

The other question I had can this be a completely original character or does it need to be a canon character, or at least one from a story we've posted here on the forums? I've got some ideas rolling around in my head for this, but I just want to make sure I understand that before I try to figure out which character I want to go with.

The last question I had was regarding the professions side of it all. I know trainers and coordinators aren't allowed, and the same applies for rescue team members. When y'all say rescue team members, are you referring to characters similar to the ones in the PMD series? A few of my ideas are revolving around police officer type characters, so I just wanted to make sure I understood where that fell in regards to "rescue team members." Don't wanna start something and have it be an invalid submission, haha.

First, would it be possible for the questions to be posted here in the thread as well in a spoiler?

You could draft your answers in a word processor or similar, could you not?

The other question I had can this be a completely original character or does it need to be a canon character, or at least one from a story we've posted here on the forums? I've got some ideas rolling around in my head for this, but I just want to make sure I understand that before I try to figure out which character I want to go with

Either/or. We would very much prefer characters from stories that are actually posted on the forums, but in previous years we have allowed for characters from stories in the draft stage.

A few of my ideas are revolving around police officer type characters, so I just wanted to make sure I understood where that fell in regards to "rescue team members."

Yes, that's fine

I have a bit of an odd question; I said in the form that my character isn't published yet, but looking at the anticipated date I think the first chapter of the story will be up by then. Is there anything I need to do in that regard?

You could draft your answers in a word processor or similar, could you not?

I could, and that actually was my intent, but I'd have to go through the entire Google Form to get the questions transferred over to a word processor. All of the questions aren't on a single page, but rather split up across 6 or 7 pages through the whole form to be filled out, so I was just looking for something a little more convenient to have everything on one page rather than having to sift through multiple pages of the form just for the questions.

Noted on the other answers though, thank you!

So, week one of Trainers of Fanfiction sign-ups is done! I'm just going to remind anyone thinking of entering to please do so sooner rather than later if you can - at least one of our artists is going to be busy in these coming weeks and I'd like to give them as much time to work on the art as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom