• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVENT: Trainers of Fanfiction Submissions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misfit Angel

Normal is an illusion
Reaction score
The Writers Workshop
CyC8vMS.png

A community event focused around your characters!​

Welcome! Here's something the moderation team has been working on for awhile and we're excited to finally announce the Trainers of Fanfiction community event!

What it is
Trainers of Fanfiction will take characters from across the Writers Workshop and focus on them in mini interviews. If you're familiar with Humans of New York, that is the general style we'll be working towards: questions presented to the character that is being focused on, as well as their in-character answer to it. Insight into specific aspects of a character's development, personality, history or trivia can certainly be tricky to cover within a chapter, especially if this insight can be seen as relatively minor. Here's an opportunity to approach from a different format and get that insight out there for your readers!

The theme
This is an event that we'd like to return to, but we're also not sure how popular it will be. As a recurring event, we'll be focusing on themes, and this round's theme will be characters who travel extensively. Protagonists, antagonists, the supporting cast, minor characters, pokémon characters, you name it!

Questions!
As wth Humans of New York, Trainers of Fanfiction will focus on a set of up to four questions that your characters will answer. We've come up with a lot of great questions, these are the ones we'll be using this time around!
  • Aside from your main goal (training, coordination, research, etc), what is your biggest dream in life, and are you on the road to achieving that dream at all?
  • Have you ever gotten a call from a close friend or family member that is concerned for your safety? How have you tried to calm those fears? (assuming the character has living relatives)
  • Have you ever gotten a call from a romantic partner that is concerned you're not being faithful to them while you travel? How have you tried to calm those fears? (assuming your character has a romantic partner)
  • To you, what does it mean to be a hero? Do you see yourself as one?
  • During your travels, you've been to many interesting places. What would you say has been your favorite so far?
  • During your travels, you've had several memorable experiences. What would you say has been your most treasured memory from this adventure?
  • What do you consider your strongest trait? Your weakest? Have these traits helped or hindered your journey in any way?

Of course, you know your own characters better than anyone else. If you can think of any personalized questions that are specific to them that you'd like them to answer, let us know!

How to participate
Interested in participating in this? Let us know by replying to this thread (or by contacting a member of the moderator team if you'd like to do so privately) with the following information and we'll get in touch with you for further details:
  • Story title
  • Character name
  • Character type (protagonist, antagonist, etc)
  • Whether they are in a currently published story or not. Yes, we're including characters that have not been publicly introduced to the Writers Workshop yet! However, we will prioritize publicly released characters over these if there is an overwhelming level of character submissions.
  • Choose up to four of the above questions that they'll be answering.
  • Optional: the character design information highlighted in the "A Lovely Look" section in the following post. We can go over this later when we contact you, so no need to worry about this right away.

Keep in mind that we are currently only accepting just one character per author at the moment. If you'd like to pair up two characters into one interview (as seen in the preview example below), that is possible as well!

Does your story focus on the pokémon rather than trainers, such as a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon story? Don't worry! Pokémon characters can also take part in this event just fine. Questions will be adjusted as necessary to fit their role within their story.

6MHYHIC.png
What will this look like?
Humans of New York features photos of the people interviewed. While we would love to provide the same level of attention to your characters with drawn art, it's highly impractical. However, we do have another thing in store for the graphical section, something reminiscent of the Pokémon games! Here's a quick preview of what one will look like:

5DAknEo.png

Always wanted to see a visual representation of what you imagine your characters to look like? Here's a good chance to see that happen. There are a couple of options for bringing your characters to life:

A customized character
@Misfit Angel has been hard at work on creating customizable characters for a personal project of hers and will be bringing that work to the table. These characters are highly customizable (male preview, female preview), so yours can likely be put together without too much difficulty. The only drawback is that there is just one pose available for each gender at the moment.

If you are requesting a custom character, tell us about their appearance! It can either be a special formal outfit in the spirit of being interviewed, or what they traditionally wear while they're out on their adventures. Things to note:
  • Skin color, eye color and hair color/style.
  • Whether they typically wear lipstick or eyeshadow and what color it is.
  • Their clothing. The following slots are available for customization: headwear/glasses, shirts, jackets, pants/skirts, socks/stockings, footwear and gloves. Colors are fully customizable for all of them, so include those as well!
  • What type of Pokéball they'll have attached to their belt (male characters) or in their hand (female characters). These can be customized as well if you describe what colors they should be.
  • There are too many clothing options already drawn to reasonably list, but @Misfit Angel isn't afraid to take on new designs that she currently lacks! If you'd like a specialized design on any piece of clothing, such as a logo, floral patterns or a striped pattern, those can be arranged as well!
  • While not necessary, real world examples of the clothing your character wears can be helpful! If you've got any pictures you've used as inspiration for your character's outfit, send them in alongside the details!

A standard trainer class
Since there is only one pose available for each gender, there's a risk that some of these characters could end up looking fairly similar. If you'd like to stand out from the crowd with a trainer class representing your character instead, the following can be adjusted:
  • Skin color, eye color, hair color and clothing colors.
  • Light edits (emphasis on light) can likely be made to certain aspects such as hair style and clothing. If it proves too difficult to work with, we will contact you with an explanation of the problem and discuss further options.
  • Only Generation 4 and Generation 5 trainer classes are available, as they match the art style of the custom characters. Any trainer class from D/P/Pt, HG/SS and BW/BW2 are available to choose from, be they regular trainers, Gym Leaders, Elite Four members or other classes.
  • As with the custom characters above, if your trainer class features a visible Pokéball, let us know if you'd like that changed and in what manner!

Not human?
Is your character a pokémon? No sweat, we can cover that. Let us know the following:
  • Species
  • Is it shiny? Does it have a different coloration?
  • Which generation of graphics you'd like to represent it. Despite the different art styles, Gen VI and Gen VII are allowed, as these are the only options for certain species.

The details
To make this event the best we can, we'll need some other details as well:

That's all!
Apologies for this lengthy post, folks! There's a lot of information to digest and a lot of information to pass along to us if you're interested in participating. We're really excited to see how this turns out, so let's put together an impressive list of characters and interviews!

If you have any questions, please let us know!

Last edited:
I kinda wanna do this, but at the same time I've only just started writing my fic. I don't even have a chapter posted yet. I know you said you'd accept characters who haven't been published yet, but if I do the answers would either spoil story moments or just be so bland and pointless there'd be no point. You said this'd be a recurring event if the interest is there. Would you consider ever returning to journey characters in future rounds?

This is a fantastic idea and exactly the sort of community engagement event that we need, and which encourages me to be an active member here.

Unfortunately, I do not currently expect to be eligible to participate in this event, but I look forward to other themes in coming months.

I kinda wanna do this, but at the same time I've only just started writing my fic. I don't even have a chapter posted yet. I know you said you'd accept characters who haven't been published yet, but if I do the answers would either spoil story moments or just be so bland and pointless there'd be no point.
You'd be surprised how interesting a few bland answers can be! I put together one for one of my characters as a trial run and she's actually kinda boring compared to most characters around here, yet the answers I came up with do seem like they'd have been interesting to people besides me.

You said this'd be a recurring event if the interest is there. Would you consider ever returning to journey characters in future rounds?
It's likely we would, journey fics are by far the most popular genre we see here so we won't get to cover all of the wonderful characters out there this first time around. Now, when that happens? We don't know yet.

Unfortunately, I do not currently expect to be eligible to participate in this event, but I look forward to other themes in coming months.
Why not, if I may ask? I must admit that I'm not familiar with Different Eyes but even if it's not a traditional journey fic, there's probably a bit of wiggle room.

Well, the majority of the Different Eyes cast are former pokémon who undergo treatment to become part-human. Some characters have journeys, admittedly, but the plot structure and significant events do not remotely resemble a journey fic even superficially. Other obstacles include how early in the story I currently am, and that anthro characters are significantly more challenging to create sprites for. Perhaps I could shoehorn my way into this event - I'll contact you on Discord to discuss it.

Oooh, this looks like it could be fun. I'm not eligible for the current theme, but I look forward to seeing them. ^^

Can't join this round either due to unfitting character, but sounds really cool! Best of luck with this project!

Well! It's great to see so much interest in this! I think it's safe to say, based on the interest generated just today, that it's likely we'll return to this event at some point in the future. We haven't quite decided when that'll be, but I'm hoping soon!

^Ditto, but I'll definitely participate if and when there's a PMD theme!
I do think there's potential for a PMD theme in the future considering how popular they are at the moment. That said, I think there's potential for Unequivocant to squeeze in; It's PMD at its heart, but if I recall from what I've read, many locations are visited?

I'll discuss it with the rest of the team, but I think there's room for lowering the bar from specifically "journey" to "does a lot of travel" which would open up the field a lot more.

What if your characters are your interpretations of the official characters? Can they still participate?
Yep!

Well, I've no journey fic to participate with, but I do have a PMD story that could qualify as a journey fic of sorts. I haven't posted anything yet, due to not having access to a permanent computer at the moment, but I'll try and throw a character in the ring.

@Misfit Angel

True, Unequivocant does involve plenty of travel...I guess it could qualify. I'll let you talk about it before I'd post any sort of character sheet, but I can get one ready just in case.

@Misfit Angel I don't have any journeyfic posted myself either, but I think I could do this with slightly changed / customized questions if that is okay?

The theme has been updated:

This is an event that we'd like to return to, but we're also not sure how popular it will be. As a recurring event, we'll be focusing on themes, and this round's theme will be characters who travel extensively. Protagonists, antagonists, the supporting cast, minor characters, pokémon characters, you name it!
This lowers the bar for entry while keeping the theme somewhat the same. Hopefully more of you feel eligible with this revised theme!

Uh... that moves me from "not qualifying" to "total gray area." There's travelling, but they always return to a home base, so... I guess that still doesn't count? ^^;

That does count, actually! Your characters don't have to be homeless to qualify. :p

So, can I tentatively sign up then? I know I have to provide the info stuff, but I just want to make sure.

Interview submission:
  • Different Eyes
  • Alisha Renadier
  • Tertiary protagonist
  • Features from chapter three

Questions:
  • Aside from your job recruiting pokémon for Perihelion, what is your biggest dream in life, and are you on the road to achieving that dream at all?
  • During your travels, you've surely had several memorable experiences. What would you say has been your most treasured memory from this adventure?
  • What do you consider your strongest trait? Your weakest? Have these traits helped or hindered your journey in any way?
  • The Perihelion Association is known for being a reticent organisation. Do you have any secrets yourself that you'd like to share?

Appearance:
  • Camel-brown skin, sky-blue eyes, charcoal hair in a long, thick ponytail
  • Red eyeshadow and lipstick
  • White dress shirt, charcoal dress vest and trousers, red sunglasses optional
  • No pokéball/something that fits the scheme such as a luxury ball I suppose

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom