• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainers

sammshh

Reaction score
Don't some trianers just really get on ur nerves? When ur reallly not in the mood the spot u and im always forever dodgin trainers. I know it helps train up pokemon but somethimes they really tick me off!!!

Let me see if I can translate this post.

"Don't some trainers just really get on your nerves? When you're really not in the mood, they spot you, and I'm always forever dodging trainers. I know it helps train up pokémon but sometimes they really tick me off!"

And to answer your question, I found that waiting until their backs are turned and walking past them works well. Running or biking seems to garner their attention.

I challenge every trainer that I can find anyway. Get loads of exp. Beat the junk out of the gym leaders and anything else that happens to be in my way.

THere are times when I try to avoid them but usually only if my pokemon's health is dwindling and I'm like at the end of a long dungeon. If I do skip them I always come back for them later

They do get annoying, especially when you DO NOT want to battle, or your Pokemon are all weak and in desperate need of a Pokemon Center. The thing that bugs me the most is when you're ALMOST through a tunnel or cave, and you get into a battle and lose, which sends you back to the last Pokemon center you were at.

It'd be really cool if they'd give you a choice, instead of forcing you to battle them. It's especially obnoxious when they say something like "Hey, do you want to battle?", like they're actually asking, but then they just force you into a battle anyway.

It mostly bugs me when they actually mention that they want to battle. It's like they're trying to condescend me.

but if they werent there, the game would be too easy. you would only have to battle wild pokemon to get from city to city, and you can run from them. and your pokemon would be really weak. So i think that they are important in the games...

It's most irritating when I have exited a cave after hours of navigating it and battling countless wild Pokemon, and my team is badly hurt. Before I can get to a Pokemon Centre, I run into a few petty trainers who stand the risk of killing my remaining fighters and forcing me to redo the cave all over again.
The only in-game trainers I enjoy fighting are those in Victory Road, the GYMs, annd leaders in general.

You must be kidding me, I love the ingame trainers. Bad movesets and the benefit in experience add up to some fast growth for your Pokemon, which beats the water out of using wild Pokemon to train.

evkl said:
They irk me so much, I have trouble sleeping at night.

Occasionally they sight me in my sleep, and I wet myself.
ftw.

Anyway, as Eszett said, they have poor movesets, which is better than training in your Secret base, in some cases. I, personally, dislike the trainers greatly, but, heck, what can you do? Remove them from the programming via ROM hacking! >D

Eszett said:
You must be kidding me, I love the ingame trainers. Bad movesets and the benefit in experience add up to some fast growth for your Pokemon, which beats the water out of using wild Pokemon to train.
Add the fact depending on who you're battling you can sometimes rack up a fair amount of cash while you're at it.

Although when you take into consideration things like what Komedic Konservationist and GreatLiver have brought up, then I can understand the frustration. Although while you're looking at that point, you need also remember the point brought forth by Aurelia, if they weren't there, aside from the primary way of making money and Exp being taken away, the game would be considerably easier, and it isn't the hardest of things anyway.

Although there have been a few times that what evlk mentioned has happened to me. Some of them are just plain scary :(

-Josh

GreatLiver said:
THere are times when I try to avoid them but usually only if my pokemon's health is dwindling and I'm like at the end of a long dungeon. If I do skip them I always come back for them later

Yeah, that usually happens early on. But like you said, I always go heal, go back, and pwn everyone on that route. 'Tis fun.

I like battling Trainers. In fact, I think they need to make them tougher, especially the Gym Leaders and the Elite Four. The ones on Victory Road should be really strong, since they got all eight Badges. It's kind of pathetic to battle a Gym Leader for the sixth time in Emerald that still sucks. Only the Battle Frontier has decent Trainers, and Kanto's Elite Four the second time around, but that's probably stretching it. I hope D/P have challenging in-game Trainers.

Locke Yggdrasill said:
ftw.

Anyway, as Eszett said, they have poor movesets, which is better than training in your Secret base, in some cases. I, personally, dislike the trainers greatly, but, heck, what can you do? Remove them from the programming via ROM hacking! >D

Waaaaiiit... you can train in your Secret Base?!

Whoaaa.

Sorry for the subject change!

If you mix records with someone, their secret base will appear and you can battle the team they have at the time, (though only after getting into the Hall of Fame.)

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom