• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Transferring Your Partner

Defiant

Pokemon Gotta Catch ... Some Of Em ???
Reaction score
So it seems quite likely that these games will eventually be compatible with the main Gen 8 RPG, which may also include a bridge to the Gen 7 games completing Game Freak's desire of having every main series game ever made from Red and Blue (VC) onward including Pokemon GO being able to send Pokemon all the way up to Gen 8.

However, when transfers happen they delete the original Pokemon data from the game, so you can never transfer back. But in LGPE, you can't trade or release your partner Pokemon, even when you box them they are still there on your shoulder/head.

So do you think we will be unable to transfer our Partner Pokemon, they do have super stats, and we've seen in the past that Spiky Eared Pichu and Cosplay Pikachu were nontransferable, so for kids using LGPE as a gateway game, are they going to be forced to leave their starter, their partner, their first ever Pokemon perhaps, behind?

Well, the Partner Pokemon isn’t just a Pokémon. They’re also the Itemfinder and the HM’s rolled into one. I can see why it wouldn’t be transferrable. Doing so would effectively strip your LGPE of its ability to progress.

Well, the Partner Pokemon isn’t just a Pokémon. They’re also the Itemfinder and the HM’s rolled into one. I can see why it wouldn’t be transferrable. Doing so would effectively strip your LGPE of its ability to progress.

Oh dear, I can foresee heartbreak on the horizon

Oh dear, I can foresee heartbreak on the horizon

I can see a way around this, but it depends on if Game Freak would even bother doing it:

You’d essentially clone your starter into Pokémon Bank as a Mystery Gift. Everything from its moveset to the nature to the OT will remain the same. The only difference is that it can both go to the current Gen and remain in LGPE at the same time. In addition, this can only be done once per Let’s Go cartridge/download.

Complex question, simple answer: the partner Pokémon could simply pull a Battle Bond Greninja. Just like the special Greninja won't vanish from the SM demo when "transferred", the same thing could happen with the partner Pokémon. Besides, the fact that they have programmed abilities in a game without abilities may point toward that possibility.

Complex question, simple answer: the partner Pokémon could simply pull a Battle Bond Greninja. Just like the special Greninja won't vanish from the SM demo when "transferred", the same thing could happen with the partner Pokémon. Besides, the fact that they have programmed abilities in a game without abilities may point toward that possibility.
Good point. Though I’m leaning towards no though. Out of all the ‘ special ‘ variation Pokémon, only Battle Bond Greninja has been transferable, not Spiky Eared Pichu and Cosply Pikachu ( Yet for some reason Flioette-E still exists despite never actually being released. ) The fact that they can’t be traded strongly promotes they can’t be transferred. Spiky eared Pichu couldn’t be traded either in a similar fashion like in HGSS.

I can see a way around this, but it depends on if Game Freak would even bother doing it:

You’d essentially clone your starter into Pokémon Bank as a Mystery Gift. Everything from its moveset to the nature to the OT will remain the same. The only difference is that it can both go to the current Gen and remain in LGPE at the same time. In addition, this can only be done once per Let’s Go cartridge/download.

That is, if we even get Bank on the Switch, which looks super unlikely at this point.

So I think it’s definitely possible to transfer your partner. You can put your partner Pikachu or Eevee in the Pokeball Plus and if you were to theoretically break the thing or lose it, you wouldn’t have it anymore. It’s still on your character though. It just won’t be in your party.

So I think it’s definitely possible to transfer your partner. You can put your partner Pikachu or Eevee in the Pokeball Plus and if you were to theoretically break the thing or lose it, you wouldn’t have it anymore. It’s still on your character though. It just won’t be in your party.
Is that confirmed?

Is that confirmed?

I retract my previous statement, it appears the Pokeball Plus just makes a clone that only exists for the purpose of the Pokeball Plus.

Source: just tested

It was in my party while out for a stroll but I had the option to take it out of the Pokeball Plus which just awards the Pikachu with experience. My mistake, sorry for that.

I thought I had done it before where it was out of my game but I guess I was wrong.

Although the riding model can't be erased, it IS possible to manipulate the partner's data so that it can be separated from the model as illustrated by YouTuber PokeTips who has recorded experimental actions that are normally impossible using a modifier software.

1. Forced the partner (specifically Eevee) to evolve.
This seems to be something akin to how the cloning concept suggested above might function. The evolved form was basically given regular party status as while the play mode registered the evolution in the absence of a nickname, the riding model remained unchanged and the evolved form was sent into battle from a Pokeball rather than via the partner's signature arm jump entrance.

2. Went into a battle with an empty party including having successfully erased the partner's data entirely to the point that the play mode option was deactivated.
Though he found out that for his purpose the game did require him to own one Pokemon which he was able to keep in his box but by default reactivated play mode.

Even though a cheating device was used in these instances if the partner data can be displaced that way then GameFreak should be able to do it for transferring purposes. A cloning form would be preferable since the HMs are attached to the partner which would soft lock the game if lost at the wrong time.

The question is, will GameFreak employ it?

Note: I'd provide links to PokeTips' experiments but the last time I posted a YT link at a Pokemon forum I was reported for offensive advertising or something stupid so I'm a bit wary now. If I can get clarification that I am allowed to post these links, I can do so later.

Last edited:
I imagine that the amount of Let's Go specific moves the partner Pokémon can learn that Game Freak might not nessesarily want to bother making canon with the rest of the series might make them not want to bother making the parter Pokémon transferable.

What would be clever would be to let Sword/Shield players have a special Pikachu/Eevee delivered to them if playing on a Switch with Let's Go save data on it - like the Partner Pikachu/Partner Eevee spirits you get in Smash bros if you have Let's Go save data.

What would be clever would be to let Sword/Shield players have a special Pikachu/Eevee delivered to them if playing on a Switch with Let's Go save data on it - like the Partner Pikachu/Partner Eevee spirits you get in Smash bros if you have Let's Go save data.

Dude, are you psychic type????

I think that’s exactly why we’re getting G-Max Pikachu and Eevee, which means the chances of getting our partners to Galar is looking slim.

It’s disappointing (though not final - who knows?), but I do get it. Plus we get fat Pikachu out of the deal :3

Would love to claim to have known something before posting that, but would be a massive lie if I did. Just seemed a logical possibility to me and it turned out to be the case.

(or maybe I am totally psychic but too humble to admit it :p)

I consider the Gigantamax forms pretty poor substitutes, but it's better than nothing. For the likely Let's Go sequels, I think they should do something more substantial (copying the actual data without removing the partner from the original game).

As it says these Pikachu/Eevee arent able to evolve, they may have the same base stats (maybe even movepool) of the partner Pokemon. Wouldn't be the same data from LGPE, but maybe as you get the Pokemon, their status at level 5 etc

Stat transfer is possible, but not thinking movepool. As much as I've grown to love them ironically, most of the partner moves (especially Eevee's) serve a very similar function to Max Moves, minus the Max part. A lot of the Max moves and Partner moves do damage and set something up at the same time, so if Pikachu and Eevee were to have them minus the 3-turn gimmick it "runs the risk of being broken" (Game Freak logic).

It's also worth noting that the Eevee that can Gigantamax was shown with the original model rather than the modified one for Partner Eevee. I'm assuming that Pikachu is the same, but considering the only difference I could notice is size it's hard to tell without putting them side by side.

Nevertheless if we can nickname our Gigantamax Pikachu and Eevee I'll probably give them the same names as my partners in Let's Go. For consistency's sake ;)

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom