• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Transferring your Pokemon from Brillant Diamond and Shining Pearl and Legends Arceus to Sword and Shield

RC821

Reaction score
Recently, people had noticed that there are missing Pokemon in the Sinnoh games. This makes me wonder if we are finally able to transfer the missing Pokemon to Sword and Shield.

Maybe not to SW/SH, but I sure hope they will have HOME compatibility. Both the remakes and Legends Arceus.

I think, much like LGPE, they'll be a one way street. Like you can transfer to Home, but you can't transfer them back. You can also probably transfer pokemon from Home to SWSH that are already in the dex. But other than that...highly doubt there will be a patch with new old pokemon this late in the gen's life cycle.

I think, much like LGPE, they'll be a one way street. Like you can transfer to Home, but you can't transfer them back. You can also probably transfer pokemon from Home to SWSH that are already in the dex. But other than that...highly doubt there will be a patch with new old pokemon this late in the gen's life cycle.

I agree that it will likely be a one-way street, but I actually think an additional Dex update to SWSH is probably more likely than people think.

Unlike previous remakes, BDSP seem to be similar to LGPE in the sense that they probably won't have the depth to become the dominant competitive games (much like how tournaments and online competitions remained USUM after its release). This ultimately means that there's a good chance SWSH will continue to fill that role in the franchise until at least 2023 or so. For that reason, an additional patch to bring in the missing Gen 4 Pokémon is probably just the thing SWSH needs to continue supporting the next few years of competitive formats—feeding Pokémon back into it from BDSP and PL:A actually makes perfect sense.

I agree that it will likely be a one-way street, but I actually think an additional Dex update to SWSH is probably more likely than people think.

Unlike previous remakes, BDSP seem to be similar to LGPE in the sense that they probably won't have the depth to become the dominant competitive games (much like how tournaments and online competitions remained USUM after its release). This ultimately means that there's a good chance SWSH will continue to fill that role in the franchise until at least 2023 or so. For that reason, an additional patch to bring in the missing Gen 4 Pokémon is probably just the thing SWSH needs to continue supporting the next few years of competitive formats—feeding Pokémon back into it from BDSP and PL:A actually makes perfect sense.

I would love to get that patch for SW/SH, that's for sure.

If they are one-way transfer to HOME, that is just plain mean. Putting your Infernape in HOME would be like releasing it, but adding another Pokémon trapped in a useless app. It has to be two-way between Sinnoh and HOME. If the Galar games are the only way to take them out of HOME and they don't take Pokémon unless they are coded in Galar, then HOME is a life sentence prison for all the non-Galarian Pokémon you were scammed into depositing. So the ability to transfer Pokémon from HOME back into Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl is a must. And we should be able to trade with Sword and Shield. The inclusion of the Union Room makes me wonder how we can connect Sinnoh to Galar, since Galar has the Y-Comm. But I hope we can trade and battle between Sinnoh and Galar. And I hope Galar can have an update for Sinnoh compatibility and to get the last batch of Pokémon into Galar.

If they are one-way transfer to HOME, that is just plain mean. Putting your Infernape in HOME would be like releasing it, but adding another Pokémon trapped in a useless app. It has to be two-way between Sinnoh and HOME. If the Galar games are the only way to take them out of HOME and they don't take Pokémon unless they are coded in Galar, then HOME is a life sentence prison for all the non-Galarian Pokémon you were scammed into depositing. So the ability to transfer Pokémon from HOME back into Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl is a must. And we should be able to trade with Sword and Shield. The inclusion of the Union Room makes me wonder how we can connect Sinnoh to Galar, since Galar has the Y-Comm. But I hope we can trade and battle between Sinnoh and Galar. And I hope Galar can have an update for Sinnoh compatibility and to get the last batch of Pokémon into Galar.
I doubt we'll be able to have two-way transfer between SwSh and BDSP--most likely you'll be able to transfer from BDSP to SwSh but no the other way around, just like with LGPE-- however, I do think you will be able to put Pokémon from BDSP into HOME and back.

I can see BDSP Pokemon going into SwSh / SwSh Pokemon going into BDSP, at least if said Pokemon is coded within both games. It is the next traditional mainline game after all, so I imagine it'd be the one used for VGC next year.

And we should be able to trade with Sword and Shield. The inclusion of the Union Room makes me wonder how we can connect Sinnoh to Galar, since Galar has the Y-Comm. But I hope we can trade and battle between Sinnoh and Galar.

I think the fact that they both will have completely different multiplayer systems for trading/battling suggests they won't be able to directly interact with each other. We'd have to transfer stuff to BDSP via Home.

Maybe the Y-Comm exists in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl and the Union Room is just a nostalgic feature brought back? Or maybe the Direct Corner works as the Y-Comm? Maybe we're given a Y-Comm in the post-game to trade with Sword and Shield?

I can't imagine that they wouldn't let you transfer Pokemon from HOME to BDSP. That would mean that Pokemon from the original Diamond, Pearl and Platinum couldn't be brought into the remakes. For many players, there's something special about a Pokemon returning to its home region after travelling across many generations, and there's even a reward for it in ORAS.

Preventing two-way transfers would also be a huge slap in the face for people who currently have Sinnoh-native Pokemon like Torterra, Staraptor and Floatzel stuck in HOME.

I know that Let's Go has a one-way relationship with HOME, but that's because there are no Abilities and the stat system is different. Pokemon transferred from Let's Go to HOME have to be "converted" so that their attributes are compatible with the other games.

Last edited:
I know that Let's Go has a one-way relationship with HOME, but that's because there are no Abilities and the stat system is different. Pokemon transferred from Let's Go to HOME have to be "converted" so that their attributes are compatible with the other games.

It's not one-way, though. You can freely transfer LGPE Pokemon back into LGPE if they haven't been put into SwSh or a future game. They designed Home to include Pokemon with no abilities + having candy boosts

Also worth noting that abilities aren't listed for the Pokemon on LA's site, so they'll probably take advantage of the no ability system in Home.

So with Super Mario Party having an unexpected update after three years for online multiplayer, maybe Sword and Shield could have some unprecedented update of adding stuff from the remakes to be compatible?

So with Super Mario Party having an unexpected update after three years for online multiplayer, maybe Sword and Shield could have some unprecedented update of adding stuff from the remakes to be compatible?
I don't see it unless they make another Expansion Pass, which I don't see.

I don't see it unless they make another Expansion Pass, which I don't see.
As far as I can tell, Super Mario Party's new update just allowed online multiplayer. No new boards or characters. Just the ability to play online. Sword and Shield's update to battle and trade with the Sinnoh games can be like that. And the time we wait from The Crown Tundra and the Sinnoh update would be much shorter than the time it took for Super Mario Party to go online. That online update for Super Mario Party makes the Sinnoh update for Sword and Shield even more likely.

As far as I can tell, Super Mario Party's new update just allowed online multiplayer. No new boards or characters. Just the ability to play online. Sword and Shield's update to battle and trade with the Sinnoh games can be like that. And the time we wait from The Crown Tundra and the Sinnoh update would be much shorter than the time it took for Super Mario Party to go online. That online update for Super Mario Party makes the Sinnoh update for Sword and Shield even more likely.
That might have only been done because the game is soon to release in China, and GF mostly acts independently from the rest of Nintendo.

That might have only been done because the game is soon to release in China, and GF mostly acts independently from the rest of Nintendo.
The Super Mario Wiki shows all release dates of Super Mario Party as October 5, 2018. Including Hong Kong. There are no 2021 release dates for that game.

I only believe they would do that if they intend competitive Pokemon to stay with Sword and Shield until Gen 9 comes out.

I don't see why they wouldn't let competitive Pokémon stay with Sword and Shield.
Mostly because it's changed with every new game with the exception of LGPE, which isn't a competitive friendly game. BDSP notably has no changes from the standard Pokemon gameplay, so it could become the new game for competitive.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom