• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trappings of Success - OU (RMT)

Master Mew

Level 7
Reaction score
*Rolls up sleeves*

Alright folks, I don't play in Smogon's tiers very often and the learning curve is steep so be patient with me. :p Critical yet tactful feedback is appreciated.

So... would you say this team has the trappings of success?
Eh? Eh...? See what I did there? Because there are two trappers on my team? Oh, nevermind...

Trappings of Success

"Those Pecs"
Machamp

mj704g.gif

IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Item: Shell Bell
Ability: No Guard
Moveset:
Substitute
Dynamic Punch
Stone Edge
Thunder Punch​
Mew

55rmuv.gif

IVs: 31/X/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Nature: Bold
Item: Mental Herb
Ability: Synchronize
Moveset:
Defog
Soft-Boiled
Will-O-Wisp
Taunt​
"Scooby-Doom"
Mega Houndoom

rwnf2r.gif

EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Spa / 4 Def
Nature: Timid
Item: Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Moveset:
Nasty Plot
Fire Blast
Dark Pulse
Taunt​
"Holey Moley"
Dugtrio

j9y590.gif

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Moveset:
Reversal
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Sucker Punch​
"Imadjinn"
Tornadus

2j0xrvl.gif

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Item: Eject Button
Ability: Prankster
Moveset:
Acrobatics
U-Turn
Substitute
Torment​
"Nurse Kiljoy"
Gothitelle

34nnuba.gif

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Timid
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
Moveset:
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Calm Mind
Protect​

Notes

Machamp: My lead. Pretty standard No Guard/Dynamic Punch spam. I gave him Shell Bell because I was already using Leftovers (actually, including Machamp, three pokemon on this team really wanted Leftovers).

Mew: My Defogger. Tornadus is supposed to be coming and going a lot and he hates Stealth Rock so this role seemed important and Mew fills it well. Also my favorite pokemon, so if you suggest shaking this team up pretty violently, try to find room for Mew?

Houndoom: My Mega. Pretty standard setup Sweeper. Flash Fire lets him switch into the Will-o-Wisps that Machamp fears. He worries about Tyranitar a lot, but that's why we have...

Dugtrio: Traps and kills most of Houndoom's counters. Has a few counters of his own to watch out for but Arena Trap means most things can't switch out on me anyway - and the Ghosts that can fear Houndoom so these two play well together.

Tornadus: I'm trying to limit myself to one gimmick per team for sanity's sake and Tornadus' Eject Button is this year's model. Tornadus comes in on a choice-locked foe with Prankster-Torment, then eats the choice attack and either faints or Ejects - which leaves the door wide open for...

Gothitelle: The Cleaner. A strange choice for a setup sweeper, but if Tornadus does his job right she can set up Calm Mind essentially for free during her trapped foe's Struggle turns and protect during their choice-locked attacks. Won't work on Ghost types but, again, Houndoom. If Tornadus fails ("You had one job...") Shadow Tag is still super annoying.

Bumping this and noting that, after running a few tests, most of the team has performed very well (the Mew set in particular has proven invaluable so far) but the gimmicky Tornadus/Gothitelle combo wound up being even more situational and unreliable than I'd anticipated and I'm very open to alternatives for those slots in particular.

(Also I encountered a stunning lack of entry hazards, was this a fluke or is Defog going to be a wasted move slot?)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom