• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trash Cans...

Giles_Le_Breton

For the Lady of the Lake!
Reaction score
I've noticed this since XY and ORAS... Has anyone actually found anything in the trash cans and vases in the games? I go into multiple houses, buildings, lairs, etc.. and every single time, the trash cans and vases and whatever else are always empty. It seems a bit strange and a wasted opportunity for goodies... Is there something I'm missing?

They're mostly empty. Back in RGBY there we a few trash cans that had some stuff in them and iirc the trash cans aboard the SS Anne in FRLG had berries in them. Not really since the earlier games have their been anything of consequence in the cans.

There's a man in Lumiose City who says he's cleaning all the trash bins in Kalos. I interpreted that as to not bother looking in them. As for ORAS I'm not sure.

Yeah, I kinda miss finding stuff in trash cans, that was a neat hiding place. But I guess they think that's too hard for mobile gamers (not that they would bother looking for hidden items in the first place).

Yeah, I kinda miss finding stuff in trash cans, that was a neat hiding place. But I guess they think that's too hard for mobile gamers (not that they would bother looking for hidden items in the first place).

I don't see the correlation between mobile gamers and finding hidden items in trash cans in games that are released on handheld consoles. Care to explain?

For the topic on hand, I don't think this started with X and Y. I remember not finding anything interesting in trash cans a long time ago. I still check them to see if Game Freak ever decided to place items in their again, but nope. Maybe next game?

I always found this to be rather dumb. Who throws out Full Restores and other useful items in the trash can?

Lol, True, but who just walks into people's houses, and begins talking with them? And thanks for confirming! I knew I remember in Red / Blue / Yellow that there actually was things in the trash cans..

The itemfinder always works if there is a hidden item in a bin, so there's no need to check the bins themselves.

I don't see the correlation between mobile gamers and finding hidden items in trash cans in games that are released on handheld consoles. Care to explain?

It's the old "kids don't have time for video games" mentality. They probably don't think people have time to check trash cans.

It's the old "kids don't have time for video games" mentality. They probably don't think people have time to check trash cans.

There still are hidden items, so that's obviously not true. The beach route between Cyllage and Amberette even has respawning hidden items. And I'd wager the only reason trash cans are even interactable is because they think people are going to check them.

trash cans don't have interaction. there either is an item or there is not. and that's likely why items were removed from them. of course, i'm pretty sure they were out even before Gen VI as well.

trash cans don't have interaction. there either is an item or there is not. and that's likely why items were removed from them. of course, i'm pretty sure they were out even before Gen VI as well.
Being able to check them at all counts as interaction, in the same sense as checking TVs, signs, and school blackboards.

Wasn't there like one trash can in Gen V that actually had an item in it?

Other than that, the popular joke is it's a reference to the infamous trash-can puzzle in Lt.Surge's Gym from Gen 1.

See, the Pokemon games are so good, Penn has nothing to put into the trash.

625.jpg

Except for that time there was trash.

Being able to check them at all counts as interaction, in the same sense as checking TVs, signs, and school blackboards.
that's not the kind of interaction i'm referring to. if there's no flavor text, plot advancement, or an item, there's no interaction. given that trash cans have largely turned into either having an item and not having an item (and more than usual there is no item), it's "unfun" and noninteractive.

They're generally empty. In Gen V there was an medal you could get for checking a trash can on the Pokemon Global Link. In Gen 3 on the S.S. Whatever you could find the Leftovers item in a trash can on the ship. And then in XY there were shaking trash cans. As for the empty ones, I'm assuming it's just some long-running gag from within the dev team about empty garbage cans.

Last time I found anything in a trash can was back in Platinum. Haven't found anything since. xD. I'm still one of those suckers that always checks, though, just in case~ (I can't remember if HG/SS had anything in the trashcans...)

I like the easter egg of getting medals for routing through them.

I'd be for them adding stuff back in though... we all check in the hopes of finding something again :(

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom