• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trials, Gyms or Both?

Trials were a neat idea, but the execution was not good. More or less the gym puzzles with an powered up wild pokemon as the "leader". Plus less than eight (six if you don't count that uninspired Kommo-o trial in) trials and the problem that they are taking space from the region while the gym puzzles are all in a building.

Doubt it very much that gyms will be in these games, but please for the next gen.

I'm actually kinda hoping for Pokemon Gyms this time, though I realize they might have to add an extra city or two. They have space for gyms in Hau'oli City, Heahea City, Konikoni City, Malie City, and Seafolk Village. They probably have space in Royal Avenue, and there is an empty lot in the Tapu Village.

I honestly preferred the gyms without a doubt. The trials just weren't as challenging, and by extension, not very accomplishing when you did complete them.

However, I have high doubts that gyms would replace trials in USUM, even with an "alternate" storyline. Sun/Moon's geography was designed with trials in mind, and I doubt they would change those very much to support gyms.

But Gyms are there for the League. Why do them after the League? It would make sense only if you go to another region.

They could add them to the main story and have the trials as a replacement to E4, or keep them as post game just for the fun of it. They did something different and didn't follow pattern with the trials so don't see why they can't do that with gyms too.

But Gyms are there for the League. Why do them after the League? It would make sense only if you go to another region.
I actually wouldn't mind that. Alola is very colorful and I wouldn't mind going through it again for optional Gym Battles throughout the isles. Also, given that this is an "alternate story," maybe there might be additional islands that we visit. A separate League? These islands could house the gyms and make the feat feel like "a separate region" or such. Course, this is all wild speculation though.

I'm actually kinda hoping for Pokemon Gyms this time, though I realize they might have to add an extra city or two. They have space for gyms in Hau'oli City, Heahea City, Konikoni City, Malie City, and Seafolk Village. They probably have space in Royal Avenue, and there is an empty lot in the Tapu Village.

lol. Are you trying to make Tapu Bolu angry again?

If we get Gyms post-game, I would rather them be in another region. And I actually would like visiting/revisiting an old region post-game, but Game Freak said two regions in one game will never happen (Gen 2 and HGSS are the exception because Gen 2 was supposed to be the last one).

The idea of going to another region for Gyms sounds kind of neat, but I'd prefer it if they did just expand Alola more instead. Providing more islands or just making the four islands larger would be one way to really make use of the alternate storyline potentially.

I'd also like to see Ice, Flying, and Psychic trials. Heck maybe the Ice trial would be a good opportunity to finally bring back Lorelei since we haven't seen her for two decades (not counting FR/LG).

I think gyms had more interesting puzzles. Here’s one lineup for gyms.
Gym 1: Hau’oli City: Normal
Gym 2: Heahea City: Water
Gym 3: Konikoni City: Grass
Gym 4: Maile City: Fire
Gym 5: Mount Hokulani: Electric
Gym 6: Tapu Village: Ghost
Gym 7: Seafolk Village: Fairy
Gym 8: Po Town: Dark

Team Skull has taken over Po Town like in SM. After you beat Lusamine, Guzma breaks up Team Skull and the Gym there reopens.
Lusamine in this world is a master of Ice Types.
The E4 is the same with the exception of Acerola being replaced with Ryuki.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom