• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trials, Gyms or Both?

I think, in order to maintain the spirit of the games, I prefer Gyms. That said, I really enjoyed the idea of the Trials, and had a lot of fun with them. I think it'd be neat to see a sort of blend between the two. Have both as we know them now, but give a reason to do both. Bringing in a Pokemon League to Alola showed that they want to make their process more streamlined, but maybe they could keep the Trials specific to pleasing the Guardians or something similar. I feel this would give a good reasoning for both to be in the game.

The problem with Trials is that they're just watered-down Gyms with less battling, and that they focus on stupid-easy and uninteresting puzzles. So to improve them, they'd need better puzzles, more engaging battles and interesting puzzles.

This would be a great chance to insert minigames, as opposed to puzzles. Maybe a rhythm game, or a shooting range or something. For the battling portion of the Trials, they could include trainers, or have you battle the Trial Captain before you face the Totem.

Honestly, since most of the Gym/Trial puzzles throughout the series are easy and/or dull, I think focusing more on battles would help improve them a lot. Plus it's not like most of the Trial puzzles help you or your team grow or improve, unlike battles.

The problem with Trials is that they're just watered-down Gyms with less battling, and that they focus on stupid-easy and uninteresting puzzles. So to improve them, they'd need better puzzles, more engaging battles and interesting puzzles.

This would be a great chance to insert minigames, as opposed to puzzles. Maybe a rhythm game, or a shooting range or something. For the battling portion of the Trials, they could include trainers, or have you battle the Trial Captain before you face the Totem.

Honestly, since most of the Gym/Trial puzzles throughout the series are easy and/or dull, I think focusing more on battles would help improve them a lot. Plus it's not like most of the Trial puzzles help you or your team grow or improve, unlike battles.

Your middle paragraph here is, by far, Imo, what should be done. The addition to mini games, rather than simple "puzzles" (they can hardly be called such) would be a MUCH better addition, imo. Great idea.

That said, I do think that the whole purpose of the Trials was to focus more on the battles through the Totem Pokemon aspect of trials, while implementing something "fun" and different. While the trials themselves were never that difficult, some of the Totem Pokemon towards the end of the trials could definitely provide some players with issues, especially younger or newer players. I feel that, as a whole, the Totem aspect of trials was much better executed than a Gym Leader, and often times, more difficult.

Im for the same but I want improvement of the gyms:
1. Trial badges + regular battles+mission

What other synonyms of Gyms, Trials are there?
Tribe chalanges, Viking quests,
Improving Gyms should be the focus for the next generation. This generation is Trials.

Improving Gyms should be the focus for the next generation. This generation is Trials.
They can still ad gyms in the game, but maybe it'll be a post-game thing, while they'll improve trials, we'll probably get 8 trials or more. It feels like 7 trials felt a little rushed.

They can still ad gyms in the game, but maybe it'll be a post-game thing, while they'll improve trials, we'll probably get 8 trials or more. It feels like 7 trials felt a little rushed.
They can, but I'd rather they focus on Trials while Trials are still present. Gyms had so many years. Trials are barely even beginning to walk.

... eh, do you guys know that a battle is a battle? Trial or gym where are the difrences? gym badges, z-Stones? we need rivalry and many pokemon, moves and abilities as posibble.
3vs3, double battles and maybe a 3vs and a double battle like in Hoen.

don't see how adding more trials would make them feel any less rushed. individual trials need to be fleshed out, not simply adding in quantity.

I think there were seven trails to represent the number of colors in the rainbow since Hawaii is the rainbow state.

I would really like if they included both gyms and trials. I don't care whether they're both in the main game, or if gyms are saved for post-game (though saving gyms for post-game makes for a stronger post-game with better challenges). I just want both sets of content.

I would really like if they included both gyms and trials. I don't care whether they're both in the main game, or if gyms are saved for post-game (though saving gyms for post-game makes for a stronger post-game with better challenges). I just want both sets of content.

What's the use of Gyms once you become Champion?

Maybe they'll put Trials and Gyms together, it could be the best way to obtain Z-Crystals and Gym Badge. I"m also thinking of Trial Captain/Gym Leader can use the Totem Pokemon during battles. In the post-game you'll probably be able to Re-challenge Trial Captain and Gym leaders, probably the Kahunas.

Maybe they'll put Trials and Gyms together, it could be the best way to obtain Z-Crystals and Gym Badge. I"m also thinking of Trial Captain/Gym Leader can use the Totem Pokemon during battles. In the post-game you'll probably be able to Re-challenge Trial Captain and Gym leaders, probably the Kahunas.
but this runs into the same reason we didn't get a trial for all types: too many battles.

but this runs into the same reason we didn't get a trial for all types: too many battles.
Now that I think about it, the typing of Trials and gyms would be confusing, maybe they'll be trial in main story and Gyms in the Post-story.

What's the use of Gyms once you become Champion?

Never said that the Pokemon League is necessarily the difference between main game and post game.

That sounds silly, but given the trend of breaking conventions, it's not outside the realm of possibility. In a more story-centric game, the main game concludes when the main story concludes/is resolved. This doesn't necessarily have to be the League. There could be trials, grand trials, and a climax+conclusion to the main story before taking on gyms.

Or, in a totally different possibility, I also didn't say gyms had to necessarily be Alolan. I'd be fine if gyms were included content, but in a second region like HGSS. Who knows?

Nah, no such thing.

Really, I see no issue with a large number of battles. The only problem that could come of it is experience gain, but that is easily fixed by either lowering exp. gain or raising levels at a different, quicker pace. No problem.

I think that the Gym types (if there are gyms) will be Water, Bug, Psychic, Electric, Steel, Ground, Dark, and Dragon.

I liked trials, but I think gyms are slightly better, because they seem like more of a challange? Maybe they could make trials part of the gyms or something. I didn't have any trouble with any of the totem pokémons, except for Wishiwashi.

If they do bring back gyms, I'd like to have leaders that aren't total pushovers, because I didn't struggle one time in X and Y, and it gets kind of boring after a while...

Looks like this might disproven the chances of gyms returning in USUM, judging the buidling on the empty slots, but I'm skeptical on Ryuki in a building that looks like Vermillion City Gyms?

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom