• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trials, Gyms or Both?

Just because gyms aren't in the empty lots doesn't mean that there are no gyms. Gyms can exist independent of the empty lots.

I will say it again, trials that function as gyms. Viridian City Gym Model exists as a showcase for the games to explain how other regions have em indoors, in contrast to Alolas overworld gym trial hybrids.

I still dream of a game that combines what's good about both gyms and trials. The interesting story elements of the trials with the general structure of gyms. I don't hate gyms, but playing through the games and having the gyms only be benchmarks and have almost nothing to do with the story was getting tiring. I don't like that in so many games the gyms are just there to keep you from going any further. At least in SM the trials have a purpose to some degree. I'd like it if the gyms had more cultural relevance in their respective regions like the trials do in Alola. Make the leaders more involved in the story with better personalities other than "I am gym leader. Battle me to get badge." and then you never ever need to see them again. BW did a little of what I want, but I really want more out of it. Also I'd love it if the story interrupted the challenge of a gym or two. Have it be like once you get past a certain trainer in the gym the bad guys attack or something. Then you have to go on a mini quest before you can battle the leader or something. Anything to refresh the humdrum flatness that is modern gym leaders.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom