• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Triple Battles, Rotation Battles, and Inverse Battles

Reaction score
Gen 5 introduced Triple Battles and Rotation Battles, and they survived up till Gen 6.
Inverse Battles were introduced in Gen 6, though was more of a gimmick.

Do you think they'll return?

As long as they don't make the game lag, I'm all for it to come back. We'd have more options at battle facilities, and trainer battles would be a lot more fun with diverse forms of battles.

Lag is probably the main reason to why triple and rotations battles were scrapped in Gen VII, given how slow double battles turned out to be. Not sure why inverse battles were taken away, but now that there’s a more powerful console I don’t see why keep any of them benched.

I hope so, especially Inverse Battles. Triple Battles didn’t really add much since it just felt like Double Battles with three Pokémon, but Rotation Battles had a bit more potential since each turn could have a lot of different outcomes. In addition, I don’t know why Game Freak didn’t bring back Inverse Battles, as an inverted type chart shouldn’t be a source of lag unlike Triple and Rotation Battles would have been (even the Battle Royal caused a lot of lag). In my opinion, they should have added that to the Battle Tree. XD

However, part of me thinks Game Freak’s just dropping them altogether.:cry:

I miss Rotation Battles. They were a fun little gimmick, and the mind games around them added this whole other level to battling. Potentially, I can see it as its own Battle Frontier-esque faculity gimmick, if we get something similar in the third version(s.) I don't really care about Triple Battles, so I wouldn't be upset if they were gone; they felt too much like Double Battles, but more cumbersome.

Never tried Inverse, so no comment. Battle Royale can die in a fire.

I really liked Triple and Rotation Battles; I'm still kinda sad about them being removed.

What the hell even were Inverse Battles, like really? They introduce this cool new battle concept that requires thinking and strategy, but then they tuck it away into a single corner of the game and only let you challenge it once a day (unless you find a Secret Base that uses them), and then in the next generation it's gone as quickly as it came. :confused:

I love Triple battles. Rotation battles are cool but, they don't make any sense in world so I hope they make some magic trinket to explain the rotation mechanic.

I want triple tag battles. Regarding the royales just take away the point system and make it last man standing.

I loved triple battles. They were so much fun and not many people did them which made me feel like I was good at something. Rotation was a little more gimmicky but I also enjoyed it. I wish they'd bring them back and even make other battle typed more prominent. It's a huge shame that in the whole series there's only been one important battle that wasn't a single battle.

Also, I had only played an inverse battle once. It's a neat concept and I agree with others that it was severely underutilized.

In gen 7 they made a tradeoff. The backgrounds were much more detailed with better graphics, and trainer models were there at all times too, but that tanks performance so they had to remove triple/rotation/horde battles, and tried to make up for hordes with the SOS mechanic.

Now on the new system we will probably get all of that back.

I want every single battle format to return. The Switch should be strong enough to handle them. Double Battles, Triple Battles, Rotation Battles, Inverse Battles, Sky Battles, Battle Royale, Hordes (including villain hordes) and SOS mechanics.

We have all these cool and interesting battle formats, yet we are stuck playing most of the game with single battles. They could have each Gym use a specific battle format to make them more interesting and more challeging.

I could see them returning now that the series is on the Switch.

They could end up being relegated to the stadiums though (sort of like battle royales) or like restaurant battles (like in X & Y) instead of being available out in the world.

I can see rotation battles being held in that stadium facility since the logo symbol (also on the football jersey of the MC) look like a stylised Pokeball rotating.

I think that Inverse Battles has the highest chance to come back, specially since they were just dummied out in Gen VII instead of completely removed like the others.

Also, I was not a big fan of Triple and Rotation Battles because they appeared in the games with HMs, meaning I couldn't have whatever I wanted. If they keep HMs out of this game I will give them another chance.

What the hell even were Inverse Battles, like really? They introduce this cool new battle concept that requires thinking and strategy, but then they tuck it away into a single corner of the game and only let you challenge it once a day (unless you find a Secret Base that uses them), and then in the next generation it's gone as quickly as it came. :confused:
they were probably a holdover from what a Zygarde-centric game would've been.

I'd like for them to return-the Switch should be able to handle such game-play. However, Inverse Battles shouldn't be insanely difficult until after or right before post game. Arriving in Mauville and having my team decimated by Pokemon who already knew Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, High Jump Kick, etc. was ridiculous.

I'd love to see Triple and Inverse battles back, but the Rotation ones were too tricky for my liking. I'd also like to see Sky Battles return, but with better flying animations (currently Xatu, Swellow and Skarmory look absolutely ridiculous).

I hope they bring them back, as the Switch's hardware should be more than sufficient to handle it. I actually got pretty good at rotation battles, as it adds some new elements that spice up strategy and such, making them very fun. I only lost one Rotation Battle, as that was a wifi battle a good long time ago (around B2W2 timeframe, if I'm not mistaken), so being good at rotation battles made me feel like I was good at something that wasn't basically click-and-shoot, like how most battles are. That's something I liked and appreciated. I could so see one of the new gyms using the other battling methods outside of single and double, as it would make things very interesting. So, I really hope they bring all of them back, as not only would the Switch be able to handle it, but it would also make introducing those different styles actually worthwhile and not just a one-time wonder.

I don't see Triples and Rotation coming back simply because there isn't enough interest in them. On an interview with a BattleSpot on Moderator with Smogon, he mentions while he enjoyed Triples and Rotation, Triples had a very small community, while for Rotations, he states that he was lucky to have 5 battles a day. So in order for them to return, they'd have promote them more significantly whether through VGC or the main story.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom