• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S14 EP05: Triple Leaders, Team Threats!

CommanderPigg

i've fallen and cant get up
Reaction score
Ash is led to the Striaton gym by a young man, Cilan, after he gained interest in his pikachu. Although he is fully prepared for a battle, Ash discovers that the gym isn't exactly what he anticipated...

DISCUSS!

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose this voice is not bad. o.o Connoisseur? Tepig, you were awesome. Indeed. o.o Cress is not a gym leader for nothing. Oh, Osha. Pretty good. To be continued...

Cilans voice was really great! Was it only me that thought it was the old VA for Sonic the Hedgehog? xD

Cilan's voice is perfect but a tad bit different for me in the beginning. Connoissuer huh? Not bad I guess. The battle was indeed fun to watch and Cress is my new favorite character, he is just so cool like a glass of water. Tepig and Oshawott really shone this episode, not much for Pikachu though. At least I hear some tasting going on.

Cilan's "job profession" has been changed to "Pokemon Connoisseur," which can be defined as "one who is especially competent in passing critical judgments in an art, or in a matter of taste."

So yes, it fits.

This was a great episode from start to finish; I was not disappointed in the presentation at all. Ash is definitely a trainer who keeps up with his promises, not caring about types, as he wanted Tepig to be used in his first Unova gym battle and for Oshawott to go in last.

Naturally since Ash was going to receive the Trio Bridge if he defeated two of the three gym leaders, we expected that he would lose one of these battles. In the end, it was Pikachu who lost to Cress' Panpour. Call that win cheap, but I prefer a well executed battle over an expected victory. It may seem implausible that Pikachu manages to tie with a legendary pokemon at the end of DP, but then loses to a water-type pokemon he should have a type advantage against.

To be fair, though, no other trainer Ash fought has ever directed an attack on Pikachu's feet so he won't be able to launch its attack. Like it or not, Cress and his Panpour played exceptionally well against a high speed attacker like Pikachu. It also shows that in the anime, a battle is not decided by types nor experience. Individual pokemon compatibilities and strategy also factor in when deciding the result of a match.

The gym battle will conclude during the next episode.

Cilan sounded a bit like Tracey to me, only a bit less derp (the remnants of derp are still there, though I can deal v_v)

I like it :) And I like the transition from sommelier to connoisseur...but I'll probably use the former more since the latter is harder to spell XD

What I was more concerned about was the PRONUNCIATION of the name.

SYE-lon? Really? I was expecting Sill-on...Not as bad as "ar-kee-us" but don't expect me to get used to it right away :p

Anyways, excellent episode. I still resembled those fangirl's reactions.

Oh, that fangirl who kept using "dreamboat" needs to start living in the present :p

Today we get introduced to our favorite Pokémon Connoisseur, Cilan (which is pronounced as Sy-lawn rather than Sih-lawn like I thought). His dub voice honestly was pretty good! Chili and Cress also get very fitting voices, IMO. They still use food references for anyone wondering.

When Ash told Oshawott it's the only Pokémon he has that can get the job done with Pansage, I was like, "What about the bird?!" ;_;

Another great dub episode. Keep it up TPCI!

And thus starts the beginning of Chili's unfortunate offscreen losing streak :/
Cress's voice sounds somewhat awkward, too deep I guess.
JGriff is voicing Cilan. He sounds okay.
Scy-lan. I pronounced it Cee-lan.
Lisa Ortiz does Oshawott? I forget his english VA, but whenever she did the sounds for Water Gun in the ep, it sounded like her throat was scratchy or something was caught in it to me. That might give her trouble with Oshawott and his tantrums.
I still wish Tepig had lost its battle and Pikachu won his :/
Poor Pidove, no screen time for you.
Pokemon Connoisseur instead of Sommelier, guess they were afraid of the wine references.

Dub Dento's voice wasn't bad. It did throw me off at first but I got more use to it as the episode went on. It's not as fabulous and sexy as Mamoru's voice though.

I figured Pansage would be the WTP and that they would add Dento in. Pod and Corn had good voices too but Corn's deep voice kind of threw me off at first xP
Also to quote Tea from Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged: "Fangirls ruin everything."

BTW does anyone know who voiced Dento in the dub? He and Pod sounded like they might of had the same VA.
Edit- Nevermind. If Jason Griffith did it then he did a pretty good job =)

I was so excited for this episode and luckily it did not disappoint! I am fine with the "Pokemon Connoisseur" thing, its close enough. So glad they kept words like "taste" and "flavor" too.

And apparently I was pronouncing Cilan's name wrong. Have to get used to the correct pronunciation now!

Can't wait for next week.

For once I'm not going to point out the parts I didn't like, but instead I'll tell you my favorite part. my version:
Cilan: Pansage, use Kamehameha (solarbeam)!

Like I said, Sonics old voice actor! Jason Griffith! I was right, I guess... xD

Personally, I thought the blue guy's voice should've been Dent's. The guy they picked for said greenhead is just blah, I can't get behind it.

:-D
CILAN'S DUB APPEARANCE!!

But "sy-lan?" I though it would be pronounced "see-lan" or "suh-lan" because those are closer to "cilantro." but oh well.

His voice was perfect and so were Chili's and Cress's. But why did they change a French term into another French term? Why not just keep Sommelier in that case?

I'm getting really tired of Iris calling Ash a kid just because he doesn't know about things in Unova. How do you expect him to know if he's never been there?

I just saw it on CN HD. Great episode. Cilan is a Pokemon Whataseur? He has a great voice though. I also like Cress' voice. Sounds British-y.

Tepig and Oshawott were so cute. I also liked Iris' face before the Chili vs Ash battle. Also, that Panpour's strong.

I was very surprised that after they called Pansage's name in the WTP, it said its name.

When Ash told Oshawott it's the only Pokémon he has that can get the job done with Pansage, I was like, "What about the bird?!" ;_;

I personally wondered why he was lying to the poor Pokemon like that.
Don't worry Pidove. You'll get your chance to shine and prove to Ash you're awesome when you evolve that is but now, your nothing but a lost cause. Lets hope episode 22 gives you some well needed development.

His voice was perfect and so were Chili's and Cress's. But why did they change a French term into another French term? Why not just keep Sommelier in that case?

Its because Sommelier has a reference to wine while Connoisseur doesn't.

Now I wish Cilan's name was spelled as "Cylan", but of well...

And maybe I'm the only one, but when I first saw Chili and Cress in that Coro Coro scan, I imagined them with voices as high pitched as Ash. Not surprised that they don't have those, though.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom