• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Triple Types

Sith Droideka

I! AM NOT! A MORON!
Reaction score
Question: should triple types exist? Why/ why not?

And if so, which pokémon should be retconned into being triple-typed?

Now, I'm not in favor of it, but some people are. And I'm going to say that if I had to choose a pokémon to be triple-typed, it would be Drapion getting Bug back and Toxicroak being Dark-typed in addition to the others.

Triple typing. D8 Wow...that would break the brains of many players, including me. OTL

But if a Pokemon had to have a triple type...well, why not Ho-oh and Lugia? Fire/Flying/Psychic and Water/Flying/Psychic? That would be kinda cool.

Again, as with double type moves, this just makes things unnecessarily complicated. You have more pokemon with no weaknesses, more pokemon that are incredibly weak, it just wouldn't work.

If they were doing this (and I dont think they should), I'd give Charizard Fire / Flying / Dragon and Gyarados Water / Flying / Dragon

Also give Lucario Fighting / Psychic / Steel

It would be cool for some Pokemon, like Flygon would be Dragon/Ground/Bug. But it would be too complicated for competitive battling, and could over or under power some Pokemon.

NO.

Firstly, it would make things more complicated than they need to be. Secondly, it would make the metagame even more type-obsessed than it already is. Thirdly, it would allow some pokemon to be completely crippled (8x weakness anyone?)

Oh joy - types that are 8x weak to others. Couple that with the suggestion about double-typed moves and we have 32x effectiveness going on.

depends. it'd have to be a pretty rare thing, and not result in the aforementioned 8x weaknesses

So, this got me wondering, which triple type combination would have the most weaknesses exactly?

So, this got me wondering, which triple type combination would have the most weaknesses exactly?

Electric/Rock/Poison=Pwned by Ground

Flying/Water/Dragon=Pwned by Electric

Ground/Rock/Fire=Pwned by Water

Grass/Fighting/Bug=Pwned by Flying

Normal/Rock/Dark=Pwned by Fighting

ect.........................

It's easy to mutliply damage using the current system, but having 3 types would make it a bit to complicated for most people to wrap their heads around... Have you ever heard of something that's only 1/3 weak to a type? That's silly.

Besides, you already get this effect by using abilities as well. Think of how Dry Skin affects a Pokémon, or Levitate...

Electric/Rock/Poison=Pwned by Ground

Flying/Water/Dragon=Pwned by Electric

Ground/Rock/Fire=Pwned by Water

Grass/Fighting/Bug=Pwned by Flying

Normal/Rock/Dark=Pwned by Fighting

ect.........................

Errrm, what type chart are you using? Dragon resists Lightning.

Another thing, I think it becomes silly as it were if you start having more than two possible types. The types start to lose meaning, save for damage calculation.

I really like the system we have at the moment. Triple typings would mean a lot of pokemon would have 3 STAB which is really unfair considering that there would still be pokemon with only one type.

It's actually true that it would complicate the battle system, so I will expand on that:

- The Pokemon will have triple STAB. This means that in terms of offence, a triple-typed Pokemon has more powerful attacks to choose from, which will give it a huge disadvantage for mono-types. So, a Pokemon with Fire/Fighting/Dragon will often have powerful attacks, and with this many bases covered, defensive Pokemon will not be easy to use.

- The Pokemon has more type privileges than an average Pokemon. What do I mean by this? Conventionally, certain types have access to certain moves. Water, for example, can have Water and Ice attacks, Grass Pokemon often can learn Swords Dance and Leech Seed, Rock Pokemon can learn a Ground attack. This makes the Pokemon incredibly versatile. This isn't a bad thing, but the bad thing is that the triple-typed Pokemon will overshadow many Pokemon due to this.

So basically, what I am saying here is that a Pokemon with a triple type has too much of an advantage over dual-types and mono-types. Besides, the type chart matchups will also be too complex.

Thanks for reading.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom