• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tsutarja, Pokabu, Mijumaru localized: The long wait is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unova is actually a pretty cool name.
Getting used to calling Isshu that...will take some getting used to.

I'm not too surprised at the rename, because Isshu just sounds plain awkward in English no matter how you attempt to pronounce it.

As for the starter names themselves...
Snivy is cool, Tepig is meh, Oshawott is...wat.

Wow, pretty shocking that they went and changed the region name to something so drastically different this time around. I wonder what the reason behind that one was? Maybe there's a pun in there I'm missing or something.
UNited states OV America?

Snivy = Snide + Ivy, I guess?
I reckon that works. Sounds kinda snakey.

Fuck, I have to admit, even I am upset with those names. Could they have tried anymore to make them so different? Not even the first sound is the same.

For those who don't know me, I am one of the few majority anime fanatics who watched the Yugioh 5Ds dub and enjoys it. So I can tend for minor changes. But this is just outrageous. Nintendo, what grass were you on?

And don't forget to watch Pokemon: Best Unova, coming in 2011!

Knowing TPCi, they're going to call it something even more inane.

Wow, pretty shocking that they went and changed the region name to something so drastically different this time around. I wonder what the reason behind that one was? Maybe there's a pun in there I'm missing or something.

Wow, good catch. That might actually be it.

Of course, there's also the "nova" = "new" pun in there.

I like the names... Oshawott is fun to say... (SO was Mijimaru) Snivy I like it it kinda fits him... Tepig is cool but I wonder which of his Evo's will start with C (All FIre Starters have at leat one Pokemon with C as the first letter)

Unova is drastic but I'll get used to it. Hey at least we got the names!

Tsutarja got the best end of the naming stick. Snivy is a pretty good name. Tepig, it's my least favorite of the starter names, but I can somewhat see the pun in it. Oshawott is my second favorite, if only for how out there it is compared to Snivy and Tepig.

As for Isshu to Unova, that's is one big change for the region's name.

Un = United States
nova = latin for "new" - New York

That's how I interpreted it.

I love Snivy. Its perfect.

Tepid is a really lame pun but I'm ok with him.

Oshawott? More like Oshawhat.

Oshawott is an interesting choice. It seems to me to be a combination of three words: ocean, water, and otter. So I think the first O in Oshawott is probably pronounced the same way as in the word ocean.

Maybe there's a pun in there I'm missing or something. UNited states OV America?
LOL I was thinkin' the exact same thing. But I can get used to Unova.

Fuck, I have to admit, even I am upset with those names. Could they have tried anymore to make them so different? Not even the first sound is the same.
I have to admit, I am a little disappointed with Pokabu er, Tepig's name.

Unova is actually a pretty cool name.
Getting used to calling Isshu that...will take some getting used to.

I'm not too surprised at the rename, because Isshu just sounds plain awkward in English no matter how you attempt to pronounce it.

Personally, I don't think it's that worse than the others. I think "E shoe" is fine...

omg, I took a nap and its like arceus commanded me to wake up EXACTLY when the names were revealed.

I like Snivy, and I also like, Unova for the region. Tepig is not what I expected and Oshawott makes me laugh because of the closeness to wotter..

also... didn't some people guess snivy? hahah

Oshawott is an interesting choice. It seems to me to be a combination of three words: ocean, water, and otter. So I think the first O in Oshawott is probably pronounced the same way as in the word ocean.
Now that I think of it that way, I like Oshawott x3 But when I rist read the name I did pronounce 'O' like I would if I say 'ocean'.

Unova's Japanese name is derived from 一種類 isshurui, meaning "one variety". As explained by game director Masuda, this is to express that even though the region has great diversity in species and race, when seen from a distance they are all the same as living creatures.[2] It may also be influenced by the motto of the United States, e pluribus unum, Latin for "from many, one".

Unova Uno (One) Or possibly Unity (Sticking together)

It makes sense...I think they tried to translate the play on the word which is okay.

Tepig sounds like teh pig... I hope the evolution names sound better.

I kinda like Snivy, but it reminds me of that nickname for Snape in Harry Potter, "snivellus" was it?

As for Oshawott... I don't even know. o_O

And for the Region name change to Unova, it's not bad, in fact I like it. Plus, it's kinda understandable why they would change it. But now I'm curious as to what are they going to call the animated series now?

I like the grass and water starter names. I like the reigion name. but TEPIG? Where does the "te" come from?

I like the names so far, very unique and unsuspected which is what I wanted and expected.

Tepig- is ok, did anybody really tink it would be Porkabu. I actually think its very original, they chose that instead of Pignite. It sort of seems they wanted to avoid the obvious, and be a little more creative, and there seems not to be much to do with a fire breathing pig.

Oshawott-It isnt Wotterbut, All you " wotter" fans sort of got what you wanted. Its a very clever combo. Ocean, Water, and otter, the Pun is still there so they did pick up on it and it may have influenced its eventual name.

Snivy- I love it. Snake+ Ivy, a direct translation of its Japanese name, and dosesnt give the whole species of Pokemon a character like the name "Smugleaf" did.

Unova is a good name. it sort of says United States. United+ Nova( "New" in latin i believe").

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom