• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tsutarja, Pokabu, Mijumaru localized: The long wait is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, now that I've had a couple of hours to think about it, I've changed my mind. The names aren't that bad. And I can always nickname them, so yeah. :D

So "Snivy" won in the end. T_T

"Oshawott"? Really? So "Oshawa" + "Wotter", or something?
"Tepig" is obvious - "tepid" + "pig".

Also: FIRST!

Man, after seeing the name "Isshu" for so long, the name "Unova" sounds all foreign and European to me.

I like what Game Freak chose! Also, the fact that they named the Fire-type starter "Tepig" makes me so happy! I hate pigs, and the fact that they named it for tepidity, or a lukewarm characteristic, suggests that it isn't a very effective Pokémon . . . I'm fairly pleased ^^

Last edited:
I actually like Unova better than Isshu. Like I've said, "Isshu" sounds too much like the English word "issue," which would have been... *takes off sunglasses* an issue.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Well sUNOVA baltoy..these names are kinda meh-ish,ill get used to it though

I like Unova, I think it sounds really interesting and unique! This game is based off New York, you know, and the City's kind of associated with being odd and somewhat off-kilter (in a good way) . . . I think it's fitting :)

Well sUNOVA baltoy
... I may have to kill you for that.

Anyway, I find it funny that people are complaining about the names, since inevitably within a month every single one of you are going to be adapted to them and using them consistently. I'm not since I both watch the anime and play the game with the original Japanese.

I can't believe this, German names are much better.

Serpifeu ~ Tsutarja
Floink ~ Pokabu
Ottaro ~Mijumaru

:-|

Ash's Oshawott
Ash's Snivy
Ash's Tepig

Still can't see it happening.
And I can see people being embarrassed to chose Oshawott (OSHA-WOT?????)
because of its name

I love these names. 8D Especially TEH PIG!! Tepig. That is way too adorable! And with Oshawott, you're like "Osha-whaaaat". And Snivy...uh, something, I don't know...

Spikeheila said:
Well sUNOVA baltoy..

Took me a while to get that. Haha, now I like Unova too.

PowerfulStarmie said:
Apparently Reshiram is called the "Vast White" Pokemon, and Zekrom is called the "Deep Black" Pokemon. What happened to the Yin Yang reference?

No more giant mecha-dragon known as the "Black Yang"? D8 What madness is this? Ah, well...

Grave-E said:
Though on the other, it always felt kind of awkward to know that Reshiram, of all pokemon, was the 'White Yang' pokemon. One letter off...

One letter off from what? D: Or do I not want to know?

wow. I like how Snivy sounds. Tepig and Oshawott don't seem like they're Pokabu and Mijumaru. Unova sounds like it came from another. still, I'll get used to these "localized" names one day.

and "localized" isn't applicable to where I came from. for me it's more like "globalizing" the names. lol.

I love the names, with the exception of Tepig.

As expected, lots of people complain... it's really not that bad and I think it's even ridiculous to give any opinion about them before you get used to the names...
It sounds a little weird to me right now, but that's cause I got used to the Japanese names... but these names are ok and I'll get used to them - as will do most of the complainers here
Anyway, I prefer Oshawott's German name - Ottaro sounds so cute and fitting! but whatever... as I said, I'll get used to the names eventually and the anime will probably help it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom