• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TV Tokyo and CN Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sombra29

Irrationally Logical
Reaction score
source

CARTOON NETWORK 1.3/6 Avg. (7a-1p)
Ben 10: Ultimate Alien 1.3/13; Beyblade: Metal Fusion 1.3/10; Pokemon: DP Sinnoh League1.7/10 ; Sym-Bionic Titan 1.6/8; Generator Rex 1.7/7; Star Wars: Clone Wars 1.5/6; Bakugan: Gundalian Invaders 0.9/4; Hot Wheels: Battle Force 1.0/4; Hole in the Wall 1.3/6; Scooby-Doo! Mystery Inc. 1.2/5; Garfield Show 1.2/5; Garfield Show 1.0/4

Sitting right on top,as the league advances it will probably grow more.Discuss?Comment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Pokémon CN Ratings

I have a strong feeling the ratings will go up a bit more as we go through the league. Glad to see it was CN's highest rated show (taking shares into account) last week.

But if posting ratings is going to become a weekly thing, let's keep it all in this thread instead of starting new ones.

I think that it might peak during the Ash vs. Paul battle (more specifically DP 188).I hope that the ratings are this good during BW :)

I mean, if Ash vs. Nando got that, I can't wait to see what the other eps are rated.

Haven't Pokemon's ratings on CN always been relatively consistent like that? I suppose now that its no longer airing at 7am, more kids are able to wake up on time to watch it.

After DP ends they're obviously going to go into reruns for a few months, they can't air Best Wishes before the games come out over here, so it'll probably decline a bit after the year ends.

source

Sitting right on top,as the league advances it will probably grow more.Discuss?Comment?

Sitting on top of shit. Yeah, ratings still are lackluster. Toonzai gets better ratings.

Toonzai is on broadcast TV. Of course it'll get higher ratings.

For CN this is pretty good.

For CN this is pretty good.

Ratings change so much due to kids not focusing, it doesn't matter. CGI is what Pokemon needs to draw kids in more.

Sitting on top of shit. Yeah, ratings still are lackluster. Toonzai gets better ratings.

Actually, no it doesn't. Here's the original source for confirmation.

Contrary to popular belief, cable stations like NICKELODEON and DISNEY CHANNEL fare much better than broadcast networks on Saturday mornings on a regular basis. And the reason is quite simple. Broadcast stations are controlled by local affiliates, and some may opt out of showing blocs like TOONZAI.

I will admit thought that CartoonNetwork's rating are lackluster compared to Disney. It's almost amazing to think that just four years ago, CN actually fared better than its second place rival.

I know all about that. Still, when compared, nothing on CN beats DBZ Kai on Toonzai. Pokemon comes in at a 1.7, DBZ when converted for comparisons would be over 2.0. If 5Ds in the later slot wasn't shuffled to Sundays on several affiliates, it would get the same ratings as DBZ Kai. This is why I would suggest they move both shows up an hour and put Sonic X in that slot at the end.

The target of 6-11 will barely notice when the Ash vs. Paul battle comes, there will be literally no change. Perhaps a small increase, but that is it.

The ratings for Pokemon are not all that good anyways,people won't care that much for Ash vs Paul battle match,the BW series should have higher ratings once it starts.

Cartoon Nework sucks nowdays, Nickelodeon network and the Disney channel suck enough these days.

I know all about that. Still, when compared, nothing on CN beats DBZ Kai on Toonzai. Pokemon comes in at a 1.7, DBZ when converted for comparisons would be over 2.0. If 5Ds in the later slot wasn't shuffled to Sundays on several affiliates, it would get the same ratings as DBZ Kai. This is why I would suggest they move both shows up an hour and put Sonic X in that slot at the end.

Considering that 5D's has a history of fairly poor ratings, even when it was airing in better timeslots earlier in the block, I don't think that being shuffled to Sunday on some affiliates is what really prevents it from doing better or being equal to DBZ Kai. No offense, but it really feels like you're just saying Toonzai gets better ratings because you prefer it to what Cartoon Network offers since it seems like you're ignoring the facts that Kazamatsuri provided. The ratings for Pokemon, while not nearly as high as they were back in its prime, are still pretty good and definitely not terrible.

cohen said:
Ratings change so much due to kids not focusing, it doesn't matter. CGI is what Pokemon needs to draw kids in more.

We can't contribute ratings changing based on a factor like kids not focusing, especially since we obviously can't prove if that's true or not. There are just other variables, like the time the show airs, what else is playing on other channels and the time of the year, that can affect how a show does. Besides, the idea that all kids can't focus or have problems focusing is kind of a stereotype

And why on earth would CGI draw more kids to Pokemon? While there are a few more CGI shows out there, mainly on Nick, most cartoons series aren't designed that way and still get just as much or more attention/ratings as Pokemon does. I don't think that Japan would be interested in making the series in CGI to appeal to more kids in the US, especially when it gains fine ratings in both the original and dub version. Besides, I don't think that they would want to spend the money when it really isn't necessary at all.

cohen said:
The target of 6-11 will barely notice when the Ash vs. Paul battle comes, there will be literally no change. Perhaps a small increase, but that is it.

Unless you can see into the future and see how the ratings turn out for that battle, I don't think you can make a claim like that and state it as a fact. And it feels like a pretty harsh one to make, especially when I don't think you understand how these ratings work.

Last edited:

@Hidden Mew

Actually, there have been studies that more kids these days have less focus that kids before. The whole idea that ADHD cases have been on the rise, coupled with the misdiagnosis of ADHD, seems to show this. Here is a link for more ADHD (http://preventdisease.com/news/articles/adhd_on_the_rise.shtml)

5Ds ratings weren't always bad, when coupled on CN with Pokemon they got pretty high numbers. Like Kazamatsuri said, affiliates opt out of time slots and have them at awkward times sometimes. That could seriously damage a show. Imagine if Pokemon, instead of being on at 8:00, CN had some paid programming like Comedy Central does at that time, then have the new episode on at 3:00 am.

No. I don't care what statistics you have. You are insulting the youth of America by saying that they do not have the patience to comprehend such a plot. CGI does not solve ANYTHING. I don't expect Pokemon to be the best show out there, that would be silly. I find it a massive feat for the league to be able to make Pokemon match everything else CN has to offer. Pokemon hasn't exactly had the best ratings on CN, but it's still one of the top rated shows. It's not easy at all to compete with newer shows as far as childrens' television is concerned. For pokemon to show it still has the power to do that is perhaps beyond a miracle.

@Hidden Mew

Actually, there have been studies that more kids these days have less focus that kids before. The whole idea that ADHD cases have been on the rise, coupled with the misdiagnosis of ADHD, seems to show this. Here is a link for more ADHD (http://preventdisease.com/news/articles/adhd_on_the_rise.shtml)

Even with the cases that you mentioned, it still feels like a stereotype to consider that kids can't focus on watching a show like Pokemon. We obviously can't tell if the kids watching the shows have anything like ADHD, so I don't think we can say that's why the ratings are always changing. Besides, like I mentioned before, we can't contribute one factor to why ratings are changing anyway.

cohen said:
5Ds ratings weren't always bad, when coupled on CN with Pokemon they got pretty high numbers. Like Kazamatsuri said, affiliates opt out of time slots and have them at awkward times sometimes. That could seriously damage a show. Imagine if Pokemon, instead of being on at 8:00, CN had some paid programming like Comedy Central does at that time, then have the new episode on at 3:00 am.

I was referring to 5D's rating history on CW4Kids/Toonzai, but I did forget about how well it did when they were airing episodes on Cartoon Network. I'm aware that some affiliates air some of their shows on a later time due to paid programming or sports airing at the time. However, when 5D's was on earlier in the block where most affiliates wouldn't have aired it at awkward times, it wasn't that much different from what it gets now. It definitely wasn't close to what DBZ Kai or Sonic X usually gets. That's why I don't think that the affiliates effect is the only thing that prevents 5D's from getting better ratings.

Daikenki said:
No. I don't care what statistics you have. You are insulting the youth of America by saying that they do not have the patience to comprehend such a plot. CGI does not solve ANYTHING. I don't expect Pokemon to be the best show out there, that would be silly. I find it a massive feat for the league to be able to make Pokemon match everything else CN has to offer. Pokemon hasn't exactly had the best ratings on CN, but it's still one of the top rated shows. It's not easy at all to compete with newer shows as far as childrens' television is concerned. For pokemon to show it still has the power to do that is perhaps beyond a miracle.

I totally agree with you. Considering that Pokemon has been on the air for over a decade, the fact that it can still do well in ratings and be one of Cartoon Network's top rated shows, the series is obviously still doing well and kids are still interested in it.

However for that to happen, CN would've to hype up the league a lot.

A real shame, since they've basically been running the same Saturday Morning advert since the beginning of Fall. Nobody is going to know the series has reached its end when the only commercial for the series is basically clips from a Grand Festival episode.

That does make me wonder how Best Wishes premiere will be handled though. They went all out for DP with an entire weekend of episodes and a pre-premiere special with the first 3 episodes. They obviously can't do that this time since [adult swim] has the Friday night hours now and the network is giving up the 9pm hour next month.

Looks like the league arc is ramping things up. Or has it been like this consistently?

Pokemon ratings are not that high anymore like it used to be,the DP series is the reason why it have low ratings,hopefully the BW series will have higher ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom