• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TV Tokyo and CN Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pokémon CN Ratings

Believe what you want but that was not the case the ratings fluctuated through out Advanced Generation but were going in the general direction of down. The show became more and more unpopular

"Unpopular?" The Pokemon anime consistently had some of the highest ratings on KidsWB throughout its entire run. I remember when KidsWB aired Movie 7 on TV before the DVD release, it got some of the highest ratings for the channel in a long time.

Now its on CN, the ratings are lower because its on a cable network, but as you can see from this thread its still on par with the rest of the shows on CN's Saturday mornings.

LMAO @ the show being unpopular when it pulls the highest ratings on a block.

Hey, here's a newsflash, places like youtube and online streaming didn't exist back in 1998. Nowadays people don't even have to watch the show on TV.

Ratings were part of the decision as mentioned in the article.

The decision to drop Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh! was based on soft ratings and a desire to bring in more Warner Bros. Animation shows that lets the network and the kids block more easily extend the brand with in-house digital rights. “We are still developing with outside producers, but we are working more closely with Warner Bros. Animation,” McGowen said.

"Unpopular?" The Pokemon anime consistently had some of the highest ratings on KidsWB throughout its entire run. I remember when KidsWB aired Movie 7 on TV before the DVD release, it got some of the highest ratings for the channel in a long time.

To be honest he has a point.While pokemon continued doing strong its undeniable that Tv ratings percentage dropped later on starting with Johto and after it due to several reasons with AG and DP being nowehere near status they had when pokemon was in its how to say "golden years".
Partially because it wasnt anymore in its "crazy stage",and partially due to some other things like Va replacements and some characters being replaced.

Ag ratings at beginning had few ups and downs taking some time to establish themselves .

That's true, but ratings also showed that KidsWB was struggling overall at the time. An example:

April 15 - WB (Kids' WB!) 1.5/8Avg. (8a-12N)
Pillow Head1 0.4/4; Pillow Head2 0.6/5; Viewtiful Joe 1.1/6; The Batman 1.1/5; Xiaolin Showdown 1.4/6; Xiaolin Showdown 1.7/8; Pokemon 2.0/10; Pokemon 2.4/11; Johnny Test 1.9/10; Yu-Gi-Oh! 2.0/11
[10:30 am Pokemon was #1 in the demo among broadcast.]

and yet 3 years earlier:

WB (Kids' WB!) 5.5/22 Avg. (8a-12N)
Scooby Doo 4.5/23; Pokemon Master Quest Pt. 1 (S) 6.1/25; Jackie Chan Adventures 5.8/22; The Mummy 5.5/20; Pokemon Pt. 2 (S) 6.5/23; Static Shock 5.8/22; Yu-Gi-Oh! 5.8/24; Cubix 3.7/18

Pokemon was ALWAYS one of the highest rated shows on the channel through its entire run. Its only competition in its later years was Yu-gi-oh.

It really wasn't competition when the same company owned both shows. Just to give you a perspective, around that time, in around 2004, both Yugioh and Pokemon were getting around 2.2 broadcast, which would translate to around 4.4 if on a network.

EDIT: Thanks for the history lesson, a 5.4 just never happens anymore. That would mean literally over 5 million kids watched.

So Pokemon's always been the top banana over Yu-Gi-Oh n here I thought they were equal I shoulda known better. Poke-Power is amazin'.

Last edited:

LMAO, that shows all the KidsWB shows had much lower viewship.

And look at what has the highest ratings there, the two eps of Pokemon.

Saturday Morning viewship in general has been declining.

I'm confident Best Wishes will probably give the show a boost, especially if it coincides with the release of Black and White instead of waiting 6 months after the game are released.

Yeah I agree, DP should be done after January since USA is at the final Ash vs Paul battle. Hopefully they'll improve on the imes and bring back Yu Gi Oh

I dont believe the ratings will improve till CN starts promoting the show.Which probably wont happen soon,as right now their priority is doing and supporting completely new shows never seen before like regular show or Generator Rex.

Didn't do that bad considering the date. Basically ever channel except Nick is struggling this holiday.

Wonder how Pokemon will do in Japan once Card Fight Vanguard, and later on Yugioh Zexal start. Both have young protagonists, able to appeal to Pokemon viewers, and are composed of action. Vanguard actually has the most build up cast list of anime this Winter. I guess in Japan Pokemon is king though. When Vanguard and Zexal make it to America, Pokemon has no chance.

Somewhat off topic, but since the post above mentions it, I would like 5Ds to air Crashtown at CN and see what can fly by there.

Didn't do that bad considering the date. Basically ever channel except Nick is struggling this holiday.

Wonder how Pokemon will do in Japan once Card Fight Vanguard, and later on Yugioh Zexal start. Both have young protagonists, able to appeal to Pokemon viewers, and are composed of action. Vanguard actually has the most build up cast list of anime this Winter. I guess in Japan Pokemon is king though. When Vanguard and Zexal make it to America, Pokemon has no chance.

Somewhat off topic, but since the post above mentions it, I would like 5Ds to air Crashtown at CN and see what can fly by there.

"When Vanguard and Zexal make it to America, Pokemon has no chance."

Say what? :confused: Thats what folks said about Bakugan, n Beyblade n both those shows aren't even comin' close to Pokemon. U do know the newest Pokemon game n Japan broke records previously set by Pokemon Diamond n Pearl right? I dont understand can you explain how pokemon aint got a chance once those shows premiere. U must not really like Pokemon. The games are king n the i heard the animes on the list of 10 most popular anime in Japan.

Vanguard has backing of every major Japanese advertiser and animator and artist and script writer and ... you get the idea. Zexal on the other hand is Yugioh, and by default does better than Pokemon currently. And it has the advantage of having a protagonist closer in age to the target audience, like Pokemon.

This is anime talk of course, when comparing merchandise, you cannot compare since two are card game driven and one is video game driven. The Yugioh TCG is exloading right now, and Vanguard has backing of Wizards of the Coast. Pokemon doesn't, and is basically Magic Lite.

I reiterate, when Vanguard and Zexal come to American, the Pokemon anime and card game is toast.

btw, Beyblade Metal Fight was on that same list, and it is not what everyone would call quality. ANd Pokemon BW only broke records in Japan, it still didn't beat Halo 3's release.

Last edited:

Vanguard has backing of every major Japanese advertiser and animator and artist and script writer and ... you get the idea. Zexal on the other hand is Yugioh, and by default does better than Pokemon currently. And it has the advantage of having a protagonist closer in age to the target audience, like Pokemon.

This is anime talk of course, when comparing merchandise, you cannot compare since two are card game driven and one is video game driven. The Yugioh TCG is exloading right now, and Vanguard has backing of Wizards of the Coast. Pokemon doesn't, and is basically Magic Lite.

I reiterate, when Vanguard and Zexal come to American, the Pokemon anime and card game is toast.

btw, Beyblade Metal Fight was on that same list, and it is not what everyone would call quality.

No disrespect or rudeness but I really think you have no idea what your sayin' at all i really jus think you hate Pokemon for bein' better then Yu-Gi-Oh.

Target audience show protanginist age closer better ratin' wah? :confused:

Sorry but Yu-Gi-Oh n Yu-Gi-Oh carbon copy will never kill Pokemon. Sorry Cohen but Pikachu's comin' at you full speed. In Japan they have these special stores dedicated to nothin' but Pokemon stuff called Pokemon Centers Plushies, food, games, cards, costumes, shoes, cloths, funiture, batteries, wrappin paper, school supplies, tvs, mugs, cups, plates, dvd's, cd's picture frames. Pokemon had a Macy's day balloon and floats.

Course the cards may be doin' better then Poke's cards the shows about cards aint it? Poke-Cards r doin' cool too CN aired ads for the cards n eps with Pokes on the cards.

Vanguard will be doing the same thing. They have hte number one ad agency working on it, and the number one animation studio, other than Gainex working on it. They have hte number one strategy writers working on it. They have one of the cleanest artists animating it. One of the most skilled Magic Players in the world doing game direction. It is crazy how the potential of Vanguard is.

Zexal on the other hand proves kids like to have characters near their age. In Japan, 5Ds is meh. But Pokemon having a younger character does well too. Well, Zexal is all that.

gotpika, stop it with all of that, Pokemon isn't the end all number 1, and neither is Yugioh. Like I said, Halo 3 got more sales in two days than Pokemon BW got in a week.

Vanguard will be doing the same thing. They have hte number one ad agency working on it, and the number one animation studio, other than Gainex working on it. They have hte number one strategy writers working on it. They have one of the cleanest artists animating it. One of the most skilled Magic Players in the world doing game direction. It is crazy how the potential of Vanguard is.

Zexal on the other hand proves kids like to have characters near their age. In Japan, 5Ds is meh. But Pokemon having a younger character does well too. Well, Zexal is all that.

gotpika, stop it with all of that, Pokemon isn't the end all number 1, and neither is Yugioh. Like I said, Halo 3 got more sales in two days than Pokemon BW got in a week.
Aint you the one who said it's not fair to compare 2 different things to each other like Halo's older audience to Pokemon's E for everyone audience?

I aint gonna argue. I don't think Pokemon is the greatest thing since sliced cheese. I jus think your lettin' your love of Yu-Gi-Oh translate into Pokemon hate. But it's no biggie :) . Please don't tell me to "Stop it wit all that your not a moderator". U threw Yu-Gi-Oh ex. at me I threw some at u.

I officially end this argument. :)

Last edited:

Block is suffering during Holidays, it happens.

any news on the ratings for last weeks episode?

Boomerang isn't even noticeable.
Why not? Why wouldn't it be noticable? That doesn't make any sense.

I know for a fact that A LOT of people watch Pokemon: Johto Journeys on Boomerang. So it has to be receiving some kind of rating.

I mean, I realize that the Pokemon episodes on Boomerang are reruns, because it's season 3. But then, everything on Boomerang is being reran. I don't know anything about networks and their ratings... But that's a good question. Do the old Pokemon episodes receive a rating for how many viewers are watching?

2/19 to 2/25

Sanze: 18.4
Chibimaruko: 12.8
Doraemon: 10.9
Crayon Shin-chan: 10.7
Detective Conan: 9.5
Yes! Precure 5: 7.8
Kekkaishi: 7.6
?????????: 7.6
One Piece: 7.4
Pokemon DP - 7.3

2/26 to 3/4

Sanze - 19.6
Chibimaruko - 14.4
Detective Conan - 9.9
Doraemon Special - 9.9
Pokemon DP - 8.1
Yes! Precure 5 - 7.7
One Piece - 7.7
Kekkaishi - 7.6
Naruto Shippuuden - 7.2
アニメメジャー/他 - 7.2

3/5 to 3/11

Sanze - 17.7
Crayon Shin-chan - 12.1
Chibimaruko - 11.3
Doraemon Movie - 10.7
Detective Conan - 8.3
One Piece - 8.1
Yes! Precure 5 - 7.5
Kekkaishi - 7.2
Pokemon DP 10th Anniversary Special - 6.9
Digimon Savers - 6.4

3/12 to 3/18

Sanze - 19.3
Chibimaruko - 13.4
Crayon Shin-chan - 11.6
Detective Conan - 10.0
Doraemon - 9.5
One Piece - 8.0
Kekkaishi - 7.5
Pokemon DP - 7.5
Yes! Precure 5 - 7.3
Naruto Shippuden - 6.0

Sazae-san - 18.5
Chibimaruko-chan - 13.4
Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro - 8.9
One Piece - 7.8
Pokemon DP - 7.5
Yes! Precure 5 - 7.5
Naruto Shippuuden - 7.0
Anime Major - 5.7
Nana (last airing(?)) - 5.5
Dr. Slump Arale-chan (last airing(?)) - 5.5

1. Sazae-san - 19.6
2. Chibimaruko-chan - 12.0
3. Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro - 8.5
4. One Piece - 8.2
5. Pokemon special - 7.8
6. Yes! Precure - 7.6
7. Anime Major - 6.2
8. Keroro Gunsou - 5.1
9. Something with a long name that I'm not going to bother trying to translate - 4.8
10. Blue Dragon - 4.4

Pokemon's ratings n Japan.

The top anime n Japan.

Pure laziness

*5.3% 19:30-19:58 TX* NARUTO疾風伝

11.2% 19:32-19:58 NHK クローズアップ現代
*8.4% 19:00-19:56 NTV ミリオンダイス
*7.3% 19:00-20:54 TBS ザ・プロ野球クライマックスシリーズファイナルステージ第2戦
14.1% 19:00-19:57 CX* VS嵐
11.2% 19:00-19:54 EX* いきなり!黄金伝説。

EP. 183
*6.2% 19:30-19:58 TX__ NARUTO疾風伝

11.2% 19:30-19:58 NHK クローズアップ現代
*8.4% 19:00-19:56 NTV ミリオンダイス
11.8% 19:00-20:54 TBS スパモク!!ドラフト緊急生特番!お母さんありがとう…母と子壮絶ドキュメント運命の瞬間生中 継
13.3% 19:00-19:57 CX* VS嵐
*9.8% 19:00-19:54 EX__ いきなり!黄金伝説。

Last edited:

While a worrying though, Cartoon Network is shit with all their reality shows. We can forget it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom