• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Review TW01: Letter

Not Dead
Reaction score
The fact that they had to come up with a Wally-esque character for a series that isn't even the equivalent of two anime episodes, goes to show that the Galar cast leaves a lot to be desired. I'll watch this just for him and the interesting art style.

The Prince is Back!
Reaction score
Whoa! I didn't even know the first part was due to come out this early! Looked really nice. If only I could understand what was being said.

Reaction score
Oh hey there Keith Silverstein, nice to see you here again as Rose..

Reaction score
Absolutely love this! I know it'll never happen, but I would take a full series order of Twilight Wings over the actual "Sword & Shield" anime we have. It's beautifully animated and it left me wanting more. And the fact that it's being simul-dubbed is even better!

Yes, yes, and yes. More of this, please and thank you!

Reaction score
The fact that they had to come up with a Wally-esque character for a series that isn't even the equivalent of two anime episodes, goes to show that the Galar cast leaves a lot to be desired. I'll watch this just for him and the interesting art style.
Nah, way too harsh and I think I'm pretty blunt overall. ;) This is like the Make A Wish kid in the hospital meeting a celebrity and that changing the course of his life. Even if the Galar cast was stronger, this would still be a good set up for a potential rival in a series of any length. And there is no reason why a Galar anime couldn't expand on the gym leaders' roles either, they have cool designs and seem pretty interesting if only they had more story related to them in the actual game.

And let's be honest, Hop is essentially proto-Go anyway not just in his design but in his whole attitude and people will defend the latter's behavior to the death. So they could have just called him Hop and teamed him up with Satoshi in Galar and effectively have the same duo dynamic as now but with a bit of additional pressure living in his famous brother's shadow. Hop could also be motivated to catch another legendary Pokemon, doesn't have to be Mew.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I love it already. Gorgeous animation and more Galar characters in 6 minutes than 11 episodes of the Show. Even if the leads look like Digidestined.

but I would take a full series order of Twilight Wings over the actual "Sword & Shield" anime we have.
There is no Sword & Sheild anime. Just a Pokemon GO anime that (very) occasionally has Galar elements.

Reaction score
Y'know, the fact that Sw&Sh doesn't have voice acting meant that I was initially thrown off by the American accents compared to the British ones I had made up in my head for the characters...but then again considering the history of Anime dubs absolutely butchering British accents in the past, I'm surprisingly grateful for the voices we got. :wynaut:

Sssh! He's napping...
Reaction score
Very good. I'm looking forward to the rest. Loved Rose's characterization and the Corviknight reacting instantly to John's fainting spell to catch him. John made a good impact in this short, wonder if he'll be in the later ones. (ED: I should say I wonder what he'll do in the later ones).

I saw this pointed out on twitter, but around 1:15 there's a trainer in the background with a Pikachu. He's facing away from the screen but some people think he looks like an older version of Ash (based off how he's dressed). I'm not sure myself, though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This looks kinda like a high-budget anime movie. I like that.
Assuming that all 7 episodes are 6 minutes each and follow a straight narrative, we are pretty much getting a 42 minute OVA here. Which is nice, and makes me want to see a real adaptation of every generation in a similar OVA format, not just snippets of different part of games put together which is what we have generally gotten with shorts.

Only puts shiny pokémon into HOME
Reaction score
This was a very interesting thing. Corviknight showing why it is so cool. Loved what could be done with the story, kinda felt a sad ending coming. With him dying and his brother/friend keeping his goal. Would also be a refreshing twist to what we normally have.
In generally, I agree with what has been said beforehand. This episode was so well animated, so well made, that serves to show how quality tops quantity. Think a lot of people rather have this 6 minutes of a meaningful story than 150 episodes of a Gou catching frenzy without any connection to his captures.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I so desperately wish that Pokémon Go: The Anime would be restricted to these 6 minute shorts while this story got to be in the main series. I really liked the protagonist, and the main anime could easily have had the first few episodes from the perspective of this protagonist, and then have Ash meet him in Galar.

P.S.: I really, really, really want to hug that Corviknight (but only if it likes me, which I hope it does). It was easily the best part of the short for me. I hope the protagonist (What are his Japanese and dub names? I didn’t quite catch them if they were mentioned at all) interacts more with it.

Reaction score
Seeing hospitalized kids always make me a bit sad. I want this kid to see Leon, I want him to leave that place and experience life. Hopefully Rose can help make that happen