• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review TW02: Training

I was surprised that there was more continuity that I had assumed going into this series. As expected, my theory about the ending montage from the first episode showing which Galar characters are the CoTD for each episode seems to be holding true.

As for the actual episode itself, I really enjoyed it. Bea being one of the version exclusive characters meant she didn't have as much screentime as the other Gym Leaders so I was glad to see her get some focus here. Her training to overcome Leon was cool, seeing her bond with the Machop line was sweet and the scenery was absolutely gorgeous. The Wild Area really came to life unlike in the games.

Would've loved to see more Fighting types being showcased other than just the Machamp evolutionary line, but otherwise, I think this was a pretty good episode. I like that Bea is training with her Pokemon, even when they're literally fighting other Pokemon. We don't usually see people try to fight Pokemon with their bare hands, so seeing Bea charge at the Rhydon with the rest of her Pokemon was cool as hell. The soundtrack during the training montage was nice, too.

Small detail, but I like how Corviknight's Steel-typing conveniently protects it from the sandstorm. Just a cool little detail that I noticed.

The Machop line getting some much deserved love after not getting any for a long time (No Major character or rival owned it in the anime) was good too see. It also makes you wonder if the Machamp Merch was about this episode and not for the main anime as well, especially taking in mind that its Bea's ace. Bea also getting some focus, was good too see. I hope next episode focuses on Gordie then, since all gym leaders have some backstory in the games and appear before they are fought, except for the exclusive ones and Piers (But this doesn't matter much, since he gets backstory via Marnie and Team Yell). However, i kinda expect a Team Yell episode as well at some point.

I wonder, was Bea imagining hearing Charizard when she actually heard Rhydon a reference to those two Pokémon having the same cry? (I know it's Rhyhorn that has the same cry, but close enough.)

It's certainly a possible reference. It's a clever one if that was the case.

Nice showing of all of Bea's traits I'll say

This episode was okay don't get me wrong, I've just never cared much for Bea. I'm a huge Allister stan. :bulbaLove: Bea is okay, but she never really interested me much even after playing Sword. I did find her to be a good character in this episode though. I only wish she would have had her actual team in game instead of just the entire Machop line.

I just hope Allister gets an episode of his own soon. I need to see my boy in this series. Based on the ending, looks like Hop might be next tho.

How lit is it that Bea gets involved in a fist fight with bare hands to a Pokémon

Screenshot-2020-02-18-at-16-54-06.png

Oh Bea, just when I thought I couldn't like you any more than I already do! :D

Though beware the "art" of her sweating/in her one-piece will inspire (to be fair, it was already happening anyway...)

Could've done without the Kanto pandering though. Still, Machop's line is good to use if you're gonna do that.

Though I'm concerned each episode will focus on a Gym Leader--and hopefully one for Hope--when we don't have much time. I was hoping for a Marnie episode (featuring Team Yell and maybe Piers), but that's looking less likely now...<_<

I didn’t expect Bea to push herself that hard, but I’m glad she apologized for worrying her Pokémon by doing that. Showing that small amount of growth was the highlight of this episode for me.

As with others, I wished we could have seen Bea use more than just the entire Machop line, but that didn’t take away from the episode.

Though beware the "art" of her sweating/in her one-piece will inspire (to be fair, it was already happening anyway...)

Oh it will. Those artists are probably the part of the fandom happiest with Sword and Shield

I think I would have preferred an episode about Allister. He seems like he could have an interesting and unique backstory.

Bea is a little too similar to Maylene in the Pokémon Special manga. She didn't get any backstory either. Although it's nice to see a tough girl again since Serena and the Alola girls are very feminine in comparision (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I also wonder why they keep showing Hop at the end of every episode? I must admit that I'm tired of both Hop and Leon and would rather see other characters like Bede and Opal get screentime.

This episode just sparked my appreciation for Bea. Out of all the characters introduced in Galar, I found she was the one I didn't grow an attachment to. I liked her design, but nothing about her really stuck out.

But watching her in this episode, just wow! She was just tackling a Rhydon head-on with her Pokemon, and literally fighting with a Machamp. It was her realization that she was pushing herself and her Pokemon too hard and that they weren't going to get better with just brute force training. That character growth right there was summed up better in 6 minutes than I have seen shows do in 20.

Another amazing episode!

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom