• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review TW04: Early-Evening Waves

I'm glad the dub is finally out. I've been so anxiously waiting for this episode and was glad to finally see my girl Nessa in action. This was a good episode, though not my favorite (that'll probably be Allister when they eventually give him his well deserved episode). I actually thought Nessa was portrayed to be kinda...dull. In SwSh, she's pretty expressive, especially after losing a battle, so I was a bit surprised on how she was so calm and quiet, almost emotionless in her actions when she was facing such a big dilemma. Her boss was straight up suggesting for her to quit one of her passions to focus on battling as a priority.

And that's what sort of bugged me about this episode. Rose wondered if she could handle both hobbies or if it was better to focus on one. Nessa believed she could do both well. Yet, we didn't see that actually come through in the episode. We already saw that she was successful as a model and the end of the episode just reinforced that with the Milotic commercial. But we didn't see her do anything to prove to Chairman Rose that her battling prowess hadn't faded. We only see her about to go to a battle and we as of yet don't know if well ever know the outcome of it. I think this episode should have taken a different direction. Show Nessa doing something to improve upon her skills as a Gym Leader. Heck, maybe even catch the Milotic and battle someone with it (Sonia even brought up that it was both beautiful and powerful) and win. Or at the very least put up a good fight. That way Nessa proves to Rose that she can still be a strong Gym Leader while continuing her modeling passion.

I liked the cameo from Marnie and Morpeko and I squealed seeing the adorable Alcremie and Milcery in the cafe.:bulbaLove: I'm a bit bummed that by son Allister STILL isn't next, but hey, let's see what Oleana will bring.

I've been waiting for this episode; Nessa is my absolute favorite Galar gym leader!

There were some aspects about this episode I really loved: seeing the slightly darker side of Rose, the adorable Milcery cafe, the friendship between Sonia and Nessa, and once again getting that feel for just how big gym battles are in Galar.

Nessa herself is so beautiful, and so were her scenes, but I felt like they could've gone a little deeper with her conflict. I did like it (it's interesting to see her weigh being a gym leader vs. being a model, since the former is so crazy popular in Galar) it just felt like it was resolved a little bit too easily. Although I'm glad they made her connection with Milotic more clear in the dub than they did in the original.

Regardless, I still thoroughly enjoyed myself watching this episode. Twilight Wings has really knocked it out of the park. Even if the plots aren't super substantial (which I get, the episodes are very short after all) they're always beautiful to watch and have so many details to take in.

That context helps, I watched the scene initially in Japanese and had absolutely no clue what was going on. It seems like a predator situation without dialogue. I gotta find a subbed version to watch now...

I mean I don't think it's an unfair assertion even with the context. If Nessa was a male Gym Leader with a different profession on the side would he (Rose) have made the same expression he does in the episode?

Last edited:
Not at all. I'm portuguese living in France

I've read a book which contains this line:
"An Australian, writing an American story for British readers. I pity the poor copy editor who has to cope with my spelling."

I wanted to wait on the episode's dubbed airing before writing anything.

This was interesting. I liked how we witnessed Rose's thinly-veiled threat about prioritizing Gym Leader duties above all; it really reinforces the bigger significance Galarian Gyms have in comparison to...every other establishment (at this time). That being said, I think the comment was ill-timed and unfair as Nessa lost to Milo, who uses an advantageous type over hers; Drednaw is quad-weak to Grass, for goodness sake. While I appreciated Nessa's emboldened resolve courtesy of Sonia (yay for animating their friendship!) and Milotic at the episode's end, I feel that it was undermined slightly when she reported to Oliana rather than Rose. Yes yes, he was conspicuously absent due to a meeting, but her standing right back up to him would've made her assertion that she can balance her two careers effectively carry more weight.

Wonder what Rose would have thought about Volkner getting in such a funk he left the badges in a container at the door for trainer to just take.

The Pokémon Company apologized for making Dewgong, a Pokémon not in the Galar Pokédex, appear in this episode. It's seen briefly while Nessa rides Milotic.
It’s not silly, at least for the Japanese version. The englsih version doesn’t, but the Japanese one is accompanied with a "Buy Sword and Shield!" notice that the end of the Twilight Wings shorts, technicely making them explicit advertisements for the game (the anime doesn’t mention the games in it at all, so it’s protected from that). So it’s a commercial, and I think it leaves someone who hypothetically brought Sword/Shield to play with Dewgong like Nessa and not find it in game with grounds to sue for misleading advertising.

A similar situation would be Smash hypothetically releasing an animated trailer with a fighter that doesn’t exist in the official game, with a notice "Buy Smash Ultimate to play with these fighters!" in the end.

It’s not silly, at least for the Japanese version. The englsih version doesn’t, but the Japanese one is accompanied with a "Buy Sword and Shield!" notice that the end of the Twilight Wings shorts, technicely making them explicit advertisements for the game (the anime doesn’t mention the games in it at all, so it’s protected from that). So it’s a commercial, and I think it leaves someone who hypothetically brought Sword/Shield to play with Dewgong like Nessa and not find it in game with grounds to sue for misleading advertising.
Fair enough.

I really just thought that Dewgong is gonna appear in the DLC. Nessa is swimming, and it can be near either the tundra or Isle of armor. Don't know the proper geography. It can be a teaser of what's to come, and if they put Dewgong in the DLC, court wise they are protected. So at this point, if Dewgong wasn't in the plans, I bet you all she is now.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom