• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review TW05: Assistant

...I think using a Sudowoodo as a potted plant completely defeats the purpose of having a potted plant to begin with. I feel sorry for the poor thing, whose sole purpose seems to be standing in an office 24/7. Then again, maybe pretending to be a tree is something that all Sudowoodo inherently enjoy, regardless of how seemingly pointless it is? Who knows.

Anyway, this was overall a pretty decent episode. We get a bit of insight regarding Oleana's past as a scientist/researcher before she became Rose's secretary (Researcher Oleana with glasses > Secretary Oleana, fight me). We also get a glimpse into her daily life as a busy secretary (including a scene where she eradicated a Rotom virus, RIP). We got plenty of cameos from many different Pokemon (including two G-maxes), as well as a couple of characters making background appearances (I saw Kabu and Piers). Watching Oleana go all "Umm, ackshually..." on the Flying Taxi dude was kinda funny, too.

Once again, we see the kid's drawing from the first episode. I wonder if they're trying to build up to something? Anyway, looking forward to the Allister episode.

I couldn't help but notice 3 out of the 4 Galarian HA Pokémon (Mr. Mime, Ponyta, and Meowth) currently being given out via Mystery Gift appeared in this episode. I couldn't see the 4th, Corsola, but if anyone spots it, let me know so it could absolutely be linked to the ongoing Mystery Gift event.

Overall, very good episode. I think this will be my favorite one so far since I'm a huge fan of Oleana. Gives great insight on her history and her day-to-day life. I was absolutely convinced her assistant was the researcher at the start, so credit where credit is due.

The league staff hiding in a phone booth, Kabu's hilarious jogging, piers is just dead,probably listening to MCR ,the NPCs from the games, the two persons who interview you dating and drinking
20200605_105710.jpg
It's amazing, I think there are 2 episodes left, Allister and the resolution to Rose and John's mini-storyline

The league staff hiding in a phone booth, Kabu's hilarious jogging, piers is just dead,probably listening to MCR ,the NPCs from the games, the two persons who interview you dating and drinking
Also, see the person behind them? It's the Ball Guy, taking a break. The first time we ever see him without his head covered.

Very entertaining episode. Seeing the more human side to Oleana and Rose is always good. The animation and backgrounds are as gorgeous as always, but special mention goes to that dancing Mr.Rime. Overall I can't wait for more with Allister next time, though I am sad this series is winding down soon. T_T

Damn, this episode had so many cameos. I counted Piers, Kabu, Gordie and Melony at the very least.

I liked this episode, even though I'm not the biggest Oleana fan. This episode did make me want to ship her and Chairman Rose, tho. I espcially thought the cameos of gym leaders across the episode was really nice.

But more important than anything else, finally, FINALLY my son Allister is next. I cannot wait to finally see his episode. I've been anticipating it for so long. :bulbaLove:

Some of the uses of Pokémon (Sudowood as office plant, Pumpkaboo as a street light) felt kind of awkward, though I sort of thought the Pumpkaboo was a decoration that looked like one and not a real one.

Rose was a lot less creepy this time, which was nice.

Probably the most boring episode yet, and that's saying something. Oleana not interacting with any Pokemon or saying anything interesting means that she might as well have been inserted into another anime with more characterization. Alternatively, she could have at least explained how Gigantamax isn't a physical transformation.

Studio Colorido are talented, I'll give them that. It's the material that is at fault.

I am still hoping that one episode will focus on the legend and his bad sense of direction.
Considering they've been building up to it with that letter since the first episode, I'd genuinely be surprised if the final episode isn't about a match of Leon's or something. :unsure:

Considering they've been building up to it with that letter since the first episode, I'd genuinely be surprised if the final episode isn't about a match of Leon's or something. :unsure:
Leon's Japanese voice actor has already been confirmed, despite him not having had any speaking roles yet, so it seems very likely.

Leon's Japanese voice actor has already been confirmed, despite him not having had any speaking roles yet, so it seems very likely.
While you're probably right, I'm still reticent to fully put my faith in it after being disappointed that despite being voiced, Milo was just a supporting role in Hop's episode without getting one to his own. T_T

I loved most of the episode and how it played out, the background details and cameos were great and I loved seeing Oleana's progression from a nerd to a busy VP. I love realistic stories like that one and I was ready to greatly improve my opinion on TW...but then the ending happened.

The twist is that Oleana will always be a nerd, but it doesn't work because it's never shown she stopped (or had doubts about) being one at some point, she was always portrayed as a badass. Also, in Bea, Wooloo and Nessa's shorts their insecurities were made clear, whereas in this one there wasn't any. It was a very disappointing ending to an otherwise great short.

Last edited:
I loved most of the episode and how it played out, the background details and cameos were great and I loved seeing Olivia's progression from a nerd to a busy VP. I love realistic stories like that one and I was ready to greatly improve my opinion on TW...but then the ending happened.

The twist is that Olivia will always be a nerd, but it doesn't work because it's never shown she stopped (or had doubts about) being one at some point, she was always portrayed as a badass. It was a very disappointing ending to an otherwise great short.
Oleana, not Olivia.

Oleana, not Olivia.
I loved most of the episode and how it played out, the background details and cameos were great and I loved seeing Oleana's progression from a nerd to a busy VP. I love realistic stories like that one and I was ready to greatly improve my opinion on TW...but then the ending happened.

The twist is that Oleana will always be a nerd, but it doesn't work because it's never shown she stopped (or had doubts about) being one at some point, she was always portrayed as a badass. Also, in Bea, Wooloo and Nessa's shorts their insecurities were made clear, whereas in this one there wasn't any. It was a very disappointing ending to an otherwise great short.
I feel like this episode wasn't made to show Oleana's insecurities, but her real nature. She reverted to her true, nerdy self in front of Rose's presence to indicate that she trusts him since he was the only one who acknowledged her in her past.
Also, her name is Olivia in Spanish, so it's also correct.

I wish we saw more of Oleana's characterization that was shown in this episode in the games. The games reduced her to just being Rose's assistant when she's a lot more than that. I saw someone say that she's the brains of the operation while Rose is the heart. They're both such complex characters with complex goals and it's shame that the games made their arcs so predictable with no room in the end for further development. Hopefully, the expansion passes offer more about their backgrounds and shows them changing their ways. I also liked the contrast between this episode's focus on the city aesthetic of Galar as opposed to the former episodes' focus on the region's natural scenery. Lastly, I wish there was more focus on her relationship with Trubbish/Garbodor. The other episodes focused on each trainer's relationship with a Pokemon and really emphasized the beauty of the world of Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom