• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review TW08: The Gathering of Stars

Ehhh... this one didn't really do much for me. I appreciate that they went and made a bonus episode, but Sky ended things on a high note.

As a bonus little episode to acknowledge the DLC, it was very enjoyable. :bulbaLove:

We got to see a little of everyone, the animation looked really good and thankfully there were no major spoilers as I haven't played the DLC myself yet. I just wish it didn't end there though, what a cliffhanger! :cry:

I also did like that they didn't specify which MC was canon.

Eh, this felt more of a teaser than an actual episode. I’m gonna need subs/dub to really judge the dialogue.

The background action is as lively and fleshed out as always and I like how every character got their bits of personality showcased, as well as their pokemon. Also, Hop’s team :bulbaLove: .

Leon’s Charizard looks very off though. It looks weirdly cartoony and deformed compared to the others.

Well, honestly, I'm not quite sure what to think of it. On the one hand, seeing so many different characters was pretty intriguing. On the other hand, the episode was lacking a real plot. It felt more like a "slide show" of different characters.
All in all, I couldn't help thinking the whole thing was a six-minute commercial for the DLC.

But what's much more important in my eyes: Did Leon really say "It's former champion" at the beginning? Now that would be really interesting to say the least :D :D
Can somebody please translate that scene in the taxi? I'm not sure if the automatic youtube translation is correct here.

Last edited:
I expected a bit more of this, but it was still nice. Really liked seeing the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra.

There were also some nice easter eggs:

• All three fully evolved starters appear. Rillaboom as a member of the Maximizers, Cinderace at the festival kicking firework in the air, and Inteleon as Nessa's Pokémon with her in a photo shoot (apparently it was for a blimp ad, as seen in the fireworks scene).

• During the scene with Klara, there are Max Mushrooms in the background.

• Opal has Mustard's rare league card. In the games, this card actually refers to Opal being defeated by Mustard for the title a long time ago.

• This one is kind of a spoiler, so if you haven't played The Crown Tundra yet, please ignore this one:
    Sonia is looking at a report of Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion. In the Crown Tundra DLC, there is a sidequest you can activate where Sonia comes to the Crown Tundra to investigate these three Pokémon.

• Zarude briefly appears as a silhouette in the far distance. Apparently it's in the Crown Tundra with a Tyrantrum and an Aurorus. No idea why though. It seems incredibly random, but nice nonetheless.

• Another spoiler:
    Sordward and Shielbert are overlooking the tournament. If you win the Galarian Star Tournament 15 times, it is revealed that they are the financial sponsors of the tournament (and also participated unbeknownst to the player, but lost in the first round 15 times in a row. Poor guys).

• Oleana is in the Galar Mine, where you can find her after you've beaten the game.

Last edited:
I expected a bit more of this, but it was still nice. Really liked seeing the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra.

There were also some nice easter eggs:

• All three fully evolved starters appear. Rillaboom as a member of the Maximizers, Cinderace at the festival kicking firework in the air, and Inteleon as Nessa's Pokémon with her in a photo shoot (apparently it was for a blimp ad, as seen in the fireworks scene).
  • During the scene with Klara, there are Max Mushrooms in the background.
  • Opal has Mustard's rare league card. In the games, this card actually refers to Opal being defeated by Mustard for the title a long time ago.
  • This one is kind of a spoiler, so if you haven't played The Crown Tundra yet, please ignore this one:
    Sonia is looking at a report of Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion. In the Crown Tundra DLC, there is a sidequest you can activate where Sonia comes to the Crown Tundra to investigate these three Pokémon.
  • Zarude briefly appears as a silhouette in the far distance. Apparently it's in the Crown Tundra with a Tyrantrum and an Aurorus. No idea why though. It seems incredibly random, but nice nonetheless.
  • Another spoiler:
    Sordward and Shielbert are overlooking the tournament. If you win the Galarian Star Tournament 15 times, it is revealed that they are the financial sponsors of the tournament (and also participated unbeknownst to the player, but lost in the first round 15 times in a row. Poor guys).
  • Oleana is in the Galar Mine, where you can find her after you've beaten the game.

Another thing I noticed is how some of the Gym Leaders' scenes seemed like call-backs to their Rare League Cards. Milo is rolling hay bales as per his RLC's text, Nessa is wearing the outfit seen on her RLC, Allister is seen without his mask, Opal is training Bede, and Gordie is gussied up like in his RLC portrait. Kabu's doesn't reference his (since his RLC is from when he was younger) but in lieu of that, his eyes flare up like they do in his Gigantamax animation. We see Bea in her school outfit from her concept art, and also there's a nod to her having a sweet tooth (as mentioned on her standard League Card).

Another detail which is kind of minor but I did really like: During the scene where Bea receives her letter, Sinistea and Polteageist are part of the lunch. I totally looked over them at first since they blended in so nicely.

On that note, I really enjoyed seeing Bea as a student and spending time with her peers.

As a bonus little episode to acknowledge the DLC, it was very enjoyable. :bulbaLove:

We got to see a little of everyone, the animation looked really good and thankfully there were no major spoilers as I haven't played the DLC myself yet. I just wish it didn't end there though, what a cliffhanger! :cry:

I also did like that they didn't specify which MC was canon.

Because it wasn't Gloria or Victor. It was supposed to be us.

Love that they gave Cromorant to Hop.

and Gordie is gussied up like in his RLC portrait.
Another interesting tidbit about Gordie is that he's apparently living in the Hotel Ionia rather than with the rest of his family which could be seen as a reference to Melony's RLC. :unsure:

"Melony wanted Gordie to take over as the Gym Leader of Circhester, while Gordie wanted to dedicate himself to Rock-type Pokémon. The Pokémon battle between the two ended up dividing the whole town. Ever since that day, Melony and Gordie hardly ever see each other."

I was so happy and surprised to see this follow up episode. I'm glad they showed my precious son Allister without his mask :bulbaLove:, best boy Avery and cutie Arctozolt. I'm kind of thrilled there weren't any spoilers for the Crown Tundra since I personally haven't gotten to it yet. :p But everything else was really nice. It was great to see so many Gen 8 Pokemon and characters animated. I especially loved seeing Hop with his now evolved Dubwool, and Bede and Marnie with their gym leader mentors.

my god I love this soo much

+ Mustard calling Leon "Dande-chin" lol
+ The entire battle sequence between Charizard and Mienshao, albeit short, was beautifully animated
+ Bea is so cute!!!
+ Bede is so cute!!!
+ Hatterene carrying tea to Opal

All these cameos made me so happy. Peony, Peonia, Sordward, Shieldbert.... I honestly wasn't expecting to see everyone. Little scenes like people buying sweets from booths are simple and don't add much to the narrative too, but really bring this region to life. I've grown to love Galar so much more because of Twilight Wings. This was beautiful.

John does not appear in this episode, his voice actress is also the voice actress of the recent pink PreCure.

I'm feeling physical pain in my chest, why is TW so beautiful :cry:

And of course there is a scene in the hospital, remember how you cried watching that, guy who's typing this? Wouldn't it be fun if we rememinded you?
20201106_002123.png
Tbf, this episode was carried by how i much i love TW and the main characters of Galar (especially the rivals and Sonia), and the crazy amount of easter eggs

Speaking of easter eggs(that weren't already pointed out):

- We see the famous IoA wailord
- A Korok- I MEAN an alolan diglett
- Both urshifu towers in the background
- Eldegosses floating around Turrfield (in-game there is a special encounter with one on the route 5 bridge)
- Grimmsnarl, the bulk up pokemon, liftings weights
- "I don't do encores" -Piers
- The maximizers behind Piers
- A sandstorm surrounding Raihan, implying they battled, because of course they did

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom