• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Two arrested at World Championships for illegal weapon possession: Suspects made alle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Two arrested at World Championships for illegal weapon possession: Suspects made alleged ...

Two male suspects have been apprehended this past Friday following alleged threats of violence against the attendees of this year's Pokémon World Championships.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Two arrested at World Championships for illegal weapon possession: Suspects made

Somebody must have been pretty pissed at Masuda. This is not the way to handle your anger towards the lack of Battle Frontier in ORAS, you guys.

That's pretty scary. Even if you don't attend those events yourself, it still hits home because they're all there for something that you have in common with. It's good to hear that it was stopped before anything could happen.

Re: Two arrested at World Championships for illegal weapon possession: Suspects made

Do we have any details on their motive? Judging by their names they don't seem to be muslims, I know they could be converts but there is nothing to suggest this, from their twitter feeds, and usually converts adopt islamic names.

According to Games Radar, both men were actually registered to compete in the masters division, so they presumably must have to be real legit fans to qualify for the masters division? You do have to qualify for it right???

I just don't get it, why would 2 pokemon fans want to attack the pokemon world championship, it just doesn't make any sense???

Do we have any details on their motive? Judging by their names they don't seem to be muslims, I know they could be converts but there is nothing to suggest this, from their twitter feeds, and usually converts adopt islamic names.

... Who said anything about them being Muslims? Or have I missed something?

... Who said anything about them being Muslims? Or have I missed something?

There's 2 threads sorry, it gets confusing which one is which. The other is under the Serious Business section of the forum.

According to the morning news, I think one said that he wanted to "kill the competition" or something like that. They may have been players who wanted to win at all costs, or just really overzealous fans. Either way, it's almost scary to think that a video game competition would attract such people. Though, on the one hand, it does make sense, as there would be plenty of casualties that can occur, as a tournament of that size would be filled with fans and competitors, so the damage level could be astronomical.

I hope you're joking. If not, not all Muslims are terrorists. You do realize there's a few Muslim fans on this very forum that are pretty darn nice people, right?

I hope you're joking. If not, not all Muslims are terrorists. You do realize there's a few Muslim fans on this very forum that are pretty darn nice people, right?

I've posted this twice and it seems to have been misinterpreted both times so I'm really sorry. I was trying to cross off a list of potential motives. I wasn't suggesting any link to Islam, in fact I was doing the opposite, I was trying to say I don't think they are Muslim extremists, or Christian extremists or people who find Pokemon satanic.

This is bloody disgusting.
What kind of sick and twisted freak do you have to be to plot the murder of fans of a freaking video game? And if they were registering they may have plotted to kill the champion or something.

Just a general reminder, as it was said in the Serious Business thread:

Until there is proper mainstream news regarding the motives of the two suspects, it is not appropriate or acceptable to jump to conclusions about things such as religion and extremism. (And if such a motive is brought to light, it must only be discussed in a civil manner.) This thread is specifically about the news post, let's try and keep it that way. Thanks.

Makes me absolutely sick to my stomach that some people would even think about doing this.....

According to the morning news, I think one said that he wanted to "kill the competition" or something like that. They may have been players who wanted to win at all costs, or just really overzealous fans. Either way, it's almost scary to think that a video game competition would attract such people. Though, on the one hand, it does make sense, as there would be plenty of casualties that can occur, as a tournament of that size would be filled with fans and competitors, so the damage level could be astronomical.

They were TCG players indeed. Moreover, both were Worlds invitees (for the TCG). However, now I rechecked and they were removed from the list. If you google "site: pokemon.com [guy's name]" some of their TCG statistics appear.

Sincerely I doubt they were thinking on winning the tournament by murdering rivals. I guess they just went nuts and wanted to make a fuss like most mass shooters do. Having privileged access to a convention with hundreds of people from around the world has to be like winning lottery for a mass shooting wannabe. Kudos to the police for stopping them just in time and preventing a tragedy.

Really?! There's Pokémon fans are crazy enough to try and murder the competition just to win some stupid tournament?!

Humanity may as well be doomed if this is our mentality from now on... :(

Disgusting, there are truly deranged people out there. What's worse I found out about it through Eric Stuart's awful attempt at a joke.

tumblr_ntnz2sNQLl1qk4h99o1_1280.jpg

Disgusting, there are truly deranged people out there. What's worse I found out about it through Eric Stuart's awful attempt at a joke.

View attachment 98767

I saw that earlier today and I was worried that was real. Unfortunately, it does seem to be the case. That's just sad and disappointing for multiple reasons.

At least they were able to make these arrests before anyone was hurt. There are far too many shootings already in this country and we certainly don't need any more of them, so it's good that the authorities were able to arrest them before things went out of control.

View attachment 98767

I mean... Did he lie? LOL I've gotten used to the voice acting because there's no going back but if we could get the 4Kids cast to come back for Ash, Jessie and James, I'd have a heart attack. Clemont, Serena and Bonnie are fine enough as is, and Meowth has to stay 'cause of Maddie Blaustein's death, but the other three? ;)

Back to the topic at hand, from what I've heard, I hope both suspects are locked up for good and get a mental health screening.

This is disgusting. I used to have this fantastical idea that Pokemon fans were all good-natured and civil, and shared common interests in such a way. Not anymore. Yes, it was definitely foolish of me to think that, but when everyone I've ever met at any tournament fits that picture, it's hard to come to terms with at least two of the fans being absolutely bonkers.

I hope they discover their motive soon.

This is such a scary thing. I'm so relieved they found the weapons before anything bad happened. I really don't have any words to describe the terror of what might have been, but we shouldn't be dwelling on that. The important thing is that nobody was hurt and the people were arrested, and I'm trying to remember that. But it's just horrible. What's even the point? There is nothing to be gained by people trying to pull stupid things like this. We don't know what their motives were yet, but it seems so senseless.

View attachment 98767

I guess Stuart has been channeling Seto Kaiba through Facebook (as in what a dick).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom