• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Two more Pokémon to be playable in Super Smash Bros. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Two more Pokémon to be playable in Super Smash Bros. ...

A video released alongside the Super Smash Bros. Direct has revealed a returning character Charizard and an entirely new participant, Greninja for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U.

Read more on Bulbanews

I hated Charizard in Brawl. I could never figure out his gliding. There's a lot of room for potential with him, but they need to replace Rock Smash or at least make it stronger, and they need to make very sure that he doesn't overshadow Bowser completely as a heavy character that slashes, throws, and breathes fire. I do support his return overall though.

Greninja looks pretty neat, though the way they showed his moves makes him seem similar to Sheik. Still, though, if he has a low lag time in between his attacks, he could be really good. Good addition, definitely. There was always an obvious absence of a fighting type pokemon (aside from Lucario, who is more or less psychic type in this game).

Lucario got the fix he needed, which was to make his unique disadvantage/advantage based ability apply to all of his moves. He might still end up being a gimmick though (for those who don't know, he becomes more powerful when you're losing, but in Brawl this wasn't really balanced very well so he was weak other times).

The only thing I'm worried about with the addition of Greninja is that Jigglypuff won't come back!

Gotta admit, Greninja was the last Pokémon on my mind to be playable for this. But after seeing his footage, I can see they made good choice :)

Nice to see Charizard as his own man...but I guess this is it for Pokémon Trainer, huh?

It's looking like Mewtwo won't return after all, though I could be wrong. Especially since it has mega-evolutions that would be version exclusive. It just needs a little work done on its moveset. Other characters have had some work done to theirs, so why not it? Unless they're worried about it being a little too similar to Lucario and Greninja. You can only have so many slender, energy blast wielding, martial arts badasses, after all.

Then there's the ever iffy Jigglypuff.
On one hand, Pokémon needs more playable reps outside of Generation 1, and she was almost cut twice in a row. It also doesn't help that she was put in SSB64 as a joke character to begin with.
But on the other hand, she has an interesting, unique moveset and we could always use one of those. And the whole Fairy type thing gave her a popularity boost (all we need it for one to appear in the Show). Plus, it would be odd to cut out someone with a perfect attendance record at this point.
I'm very conflicted... :-\

Last edited:
I didn't see Greninja coming at all, but he looks awesome enough. And I am cheering for the zard! Can't wait for the new SSB to come out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom