• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Type Advantages, Disadvantages and Neturaliaties you think are Ridiculous

Tyrfing

Prince of Leonster
Reaction score
I, in my opinion, Think Flying should have a disadvantage on Fire. I think a good wind would spread the fire, resulting in more chaos. And I think Psychic should beat Ghost, not vice-versa, since I think a psychic could detect ghosts.

And I think Psychic should beat Ghost, not vice-versa, since I think a psychic could detect ghosts.

I think I read somewhere that Ghost being effective to Psychic is based on the fear of Ghosts, like the fear of the Dark and Bugs.

On that topic, I don't get how Psychic is ineffective to Dark. Is it supposed to represent sleep, like the shutting down of the mind or something? (But moves like Dream Eater and Hypnosis are Psychic, so...)

Ice taking neutral damage from Water and Grass, and Bug and Poison no longer being weak against each other since Gen 1.

On that topic, I don't get how Psychic is ineffective to Dark. Is it supposed to represent sleep, like the shutting down of the mind or something? (But moves like Dream Eater and Hypnosis are Psychic, so...)

I'm thinking it's based more on type-chart balancing than on any actual thing.

Anyway, I get that Steel is supposed to be a great defensive type, but only two neutrals? That seems a bit... well, ridiculous. And both of those are types you could make out to be super-effective on steel (a lot of types of metal conduct electricity well and water would cause it to rust), which I guess is why they both resist steel. And with a lot of the weirder types it's hard to figure out how steel is supposed to resist them, anyway (how does having a hard metal body protect you against darkness or mental assaults?).

And with a lot of the weirder types it's hard to figure out how steel is supposed to resist them, anyway (how does having a hard metal body protect you against darkness or mental assaults?).

I agree, those two are just ridiculous. I understand that Steel is supposed to be defensive an all, but resisting Dark, Ghost and Psychic is just odd.

I think it would make more sense for Water to be good against Steel, rather than Fighting. Are they trying to say that some people can punch apart metal?

And with a lot of the weirder types it's hard to figure out how steel is supposed to resist them, anyway (how does having a hard metal body protect you against darkness or mental assaults?).

I agree, those two are just ridiculous. I understand that Steel is supposed to be defensive an all, but resisting Dark, Ghost and Psychic is just odd.

I think it would make more sense for Water to be good against Steel, rather than Fighting. Are they trying to say that some people can punch apart metal?

Well, it's also a balance issue - if Steel didn't resist those, something else would have to. I think they could come up with some slightly more logical resistors, but hey.

I can actually understand fighting on steel, though. Steel is hard (which is why it resists everything and their aunts), but that makes it brittle, so a well-focused blow like from a professional fighter would be able to break it. Same reason fighting's good against rock. (Speaking of which, why does fighting resist rock?)

Dragon being Weak To ice, I know that dragon has to be weak to something, but why Ice?

Dragon being Weak To ice, I know that dragon has to be weak to something, but why Ice?

Most Dragon types are reptiles, and most reptiles are naturally very vulnerable to cold weather due to being cold blooded.
well that makes sense, I thought that it was a Japanese myth that I didn't know about.

why do Fighting and bug do little damage to each other.

Indeed, I never got why Fighting is not-very-effective against Bug. o_o; If a punch from a professional fighter can smash steel, it should very well be able to squish a poor little bug. I suppose bugs in the Pokemon World are made of tougher stuff.

Or it could be a "Have you ever tried to punch a bug" thing. They're not very good targets, are they?

Same reason fighting's good against rock. (Speaking of which, why does fighting resist rock?)

I always assumed it was because some martial artists can break rocks with what looks like no effort, so if someone threw a rock at them, they'd just "POW SHAZAM" punch it to pieces. Hence, strong against and resistant to rock.

I don't care too much about what makes sense and what doesn't in a game in which we capture animals with superpowers and pit them against other for shits and giggles (and cash). As far as I'm concerned, Grass-type just needs less weaknesses and types resistant to it, period. The Water-type could use a little nerfing as well.

Make Water weak to Poison. Pollution. Also it'd give Poison a big advantage considering how common Water is, and Water'd get the nerf it deserves.

Poison should be SE vs Water and Bugs. This would place a major check on the OP water type, and also give Poison a lot more uses.

Make Electric SE vs Steel, since metal is usually considered a better conductor of electricity than water.

I don't understand why Rock is weak to Ground when they're so closely related, but meh, I guess I don't have an issue with it.

Not that many others come to mind right now, I'm sure there are some though.

Make Water weak to Poison. Pollution. Also it'd give Poison a big advantage considering how common Water is, and Water'd get the nerf it deserves.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that idea. Yeah, Water (along with Fighting, Steel, and Ground) is indeed too dominant in the metagame, and one-by-one they need to get a nerf to balance things out.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom