• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Types that you never use on in-game teams?

My team is almost always fixed to include Grass, Fire, Water, Flying and usually Electric-type Pokémon. I like to rotate the sixth slot with a Pokémon of the type I need at the moment, ensuring that I always use a Pokémon of each type at least once... and with once, I mean ONCE in the entire game. For the reminder of the game, that sixth slot is usually a Fighting-type, a Psychic-type, a Dragon-type, a Ghost-type, or a Poison-type. Currently, in my Y, that sixth slot is being filled by a Dragon (my good ol' Garchomp).

The types that I use the least are Rock, Bug, Normal, Fairy, and Ice. Also, I also prefer to use Ground and Steel-types only when they're paired with something else (like Garchomp, who is Dragon/Ground and Empoleon, Water/Steel). I use Ground-moves a lot, and the Steel-typing provides good defences against most other types. (except [mostly] Ground itself!)

I tend to use Rock-types for HM slave purposes. Most of the time, I won't catch a single Rock-type until I get to the Victory Road, where I'll use it to move boulders and smash rocks.

I'll always catch Bug-types at the forests in the beginning of the games, but I almost always leave them in the PC, unless I need it for some reason (e.g. going against a Grass-type Gym Leader). It's just that they tend to have poor movesets and a lot of weaknesses.

Pure Normal-types are just too... meh... to me. I haven't had the chance to use Fairies too much, and I'm not quite sure about why I don't use Ice-types more often.

I've tried to make use of most types. Even so, there are a few that for one reason or another I haven't had success with or that I haven't taken a shine to.

Water: I'm not sure why, but I've have little success using water types, and there have been few individual mons of this type that have really appealed to me (one exception I can say without hesitation being Gyarados). Mostly in my playthroughs these have ended up being surf/waterfall/whirlpool HM-slaves.

Fairy (and I have played X/Y): Even before the type was introduced, most of the mons that were turned into fairies were never really my thing to begin with. I think most of the reasoning is aesthetic, but I haven't had a real need or great use for a Fairy type on my teams.

I almost never use Fighting, Ground, Rock, Bug, and Poison.

There isn't really a type that I dislike, its the Pokemon of said type that I dislike. Thus far, I have not completed a game with a non-legendary Ghost, Fairy, Bug, or Psychic. Although now Gardevoir has been retconned, I'll use it in ORAS.

I think the only type I can say I've never used on my team is Poison. And now that I think about it, that's a shame. But I've just never had a use for a Poison type on my teams. Crobat's the closest I've came, but now I'm mostly using him just for flying in Platinum. It's one of the worst attacking types by far, and even though it's decent defensively, I mostly go to Steel Pokémon for defense purposes. Sorry, Poison.

Dragon's mainly - most of them are caught too late in the game (by then I'm too attached to my team to make room for a dragon) - when I start a new challenge or game I like my Pokemon to be lowest possible level (majority can't breed), most of them aren't based on animals I like (by design alone, I have no desire to use dragon based Pokemon).

I never use pure normal, bug, rock and very rarely ground, ghost and poison (with a genger in my last Y playthrough being the first case for both types) and dragons, with the except of a dragonite in my Soul Silver game.

I rarely use Bug Pokemon. Im a fan of the type but whenever i use a team i deem fit, i never use a bug type on it.

I think I've had a Pokémon of each type on my team at least once, but the ones I use the least are: steel, electric and dragon. I think mostly because there aren't a lot of Pokémon with those types and I just don't like most of those Pokémon.

For an in-game team, I primarily stick with Pokemon I personally like. There's usually at least one Fire, Electric, and/or Flying type.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there is ... Poison. I virtually never have this type on my team ever.

As of right now, I have not gone through with Grass. I'm going through AS right now with a Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile so I will have gone through the games with each type at least once.

Normal: Staraptor
Grass: N/A (working on Grovyle atm)
Fire: Infernape
Water: Too many to mention (started with Blastoise)
Electric: Jolteon
Rock: Golem
Ground: Mamoswine
Fighting: Lucario
Poison: Crobat
Flying: Zapdos
Bug: Beautifly (no joke, I wound up taking one of these through a Nuzlocke in Omega Ruby)
Ghost: Gengar
Steel: Magnezone
Psychic: Alakazam
Ice: Articuno
Dragon: Salamance
Dark: Tyranitar
Fariry: Gardevior

I've now just realized that I've never used a ghost-type on an official in game team before. It's not that I dislike them or find the "useless",or anything but I will say I can't think of many ghost-types that I love. I just tend to find dark-types better for ghost or psychic types since, well, they're not weak to ghost, they're immune to psychic, and I just tend to like more dark-types design wise.

Otherwise, I don't avoid using specific types altogether for any reason. If I like a Pokemon, I'll use it, whether or not I already have coverage. I've had some teams with both a water-type and an ice-type, and both an electric-type and a grass-type. Type repeats on one team however, no, I don't do that. (Or try to avoid it like the plague)

As of ORAS, this has changed, as I used a Sableye on my Alpha Sapphire team. And, ironically, despite the argument I made here, I actually used him as more of a ghost-type than a dark-type.

Ground: Except for Onix/Steelix that I used at some point on Johto, but not on the entire game.
Bug: Maybe reminiscence of the first games... There's a lot of later bug Pokemons that i find cool, but always found other that catch my attention earlier
Fairy: Never had on my team.

I would say rock, but I use eventually the fossils, like Aerodactyl, Aurorus, Kabutops, Archeops, all of them were part of my team.

I've used every type on my in-game team at least once, but ice, bug, and fairy are the ones I've used the least. I've only ever used 2 ice types (Vanilluxe and Aurorus), 2 bugs (Leavanny and Armaldo), and 1 fairy (Florges).

I've tried using at least one of each type on my team but I've discovered that Normal, Dragon, Rock, Poison and Ice don't often have spots on my in-game team. The sad thing is I like a lot of Normal and Rock types but I just can't justify using them.

Rock: Sorry, but it's the most boring type ever, IMO. It has way too many weaknesses for being full of so many slow, "defensive" Pokémon (too many of whom are part-Ground and have horrible Special Defense, which means that they can be one-shotted by Bubble), and its STAB can be more easily covered by better types like Electric, Water, and Ground. I'll usually use Tyranitar (one of the few Rock Types that isn't "boring") whenever I can get a hold of it, but otherwise, my team will be Rock-free.

ALL OF THIS!! I really, really like Gigalith as a pokemon. But when I finally got him in Gen V, I felt like for a defense pokemon, he was getting one-shotted a BUNCH. but I still kept him through until the end. Just kinda messed with the usual type flow of my teams. (ground is a much better alternative to Rock)

In terms of types I always use, Fire and Water are obvious shoo-ins. I almost always choose a Fire starter, and Water for the obvious Surf/Waterfall department. Truth be told, I've pretty much used each and every type in existence at one point or another, but probably the least common types are Poison, Rock, Ghost, and Steel.

Poison is kinda meh to begin with, but I have used ones like Nidoking, Seviper, and Venusaur at least twice. Rock Pokemon are hard for me to use, mainly due to their overwhelming number of weaknesses and sheer slowness, but I have used a few, though it's usually the fossil Pokemon. Ghosts are an oddity to me. Not that I don't like Ghost-types, but there aren't really ones that stand out to me. There are some exceptions, such as Jellicent and Cofagrigus, which are Ghosts I like, but the type is a rarity for me. And Steel rounds out the list, as the only Steel-types I've used full-force are Lucario and Excadrill, probably because the don't strike me as Steel-types, but they're also very good-looking and useful.

So, overall, I've used every type in existence, but Poison, Rock, Ghost, and Steel are the least used.

Poison: I actually like the poison type a lot for its resists and utility. The problem lies in easily finding a good poison type with a viable purpose on my team and in recent generations I can't find one. The only ones I used seriously are Venusaur, Nidoking and Gengar and they have useful secondary types and good movepools. I really wanted to use Toxicroak or Drapion in the DPPt games but the great marsh was too much of a hassle and leveling them up on top of that was a no no for me.

Ice: The horrible lack of resists and abundance of weaknesses alone is enough to kill it for me but on top of that nearly every water type can learn Ice Beam making them a bit redundant since most things weak to Ice keel over in one blow STAB or not. Plus not a lot of Ice types don't appeal to me design wise and many come rather late into the game after I've already made my line up.

Normal: STAB on Return is nice but no super effective on anything means bad news as the game progresses unless you have another STAB like Staraptor.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom