• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Types that you never use on in-game teams?

I... honestly can't think of any type that I'd never use. Electric used to be my least used type but that's not true anymore.
Sorry, can't quite come to a decision on this. I focus on type variety so much (must have Fire/Water/Grass trio, must have Steel/Dragon/Fairy trio, Fighting/Psychic/Dark trio if possible, no more than two of the same type.) that there isn't one type I'd purposefully leave out. Even the Normal type has stuff like Porygon-Z.

I generally disregard ground and dark types. If it's from a subtype I'll roll with it (Torterra is one of my favorites) but I generally don't like them.

Which is a shame, as I'm replaying platinum and that's the perfect excuse to have Houndoom.

I generally don't use psychic, steel, rock, fairy or dark types, Wow, yeah I discriminate.

Im one of those people that try to have a team that fits as many types as possible in my Team, some i tend to "favor" more simply because I want some of my favorite Pokemon on my team. Its more favoritism then functional. Although i do tend to have at least 1 Ace of a Pokemon up my sleeve for every type out there to help as i go through the game beating it.

But after reading the first message, i have noticed that there is one or two types that i never typically have on my team:

Normal: Nothing that its strong against, only resistant to Ghost types

Fighting: I only have 1 or 2 favorite fighting types and they are quite low on my favorite list so there is usually something i can replace a fighter with

Ghost: Similar boat as Fighting type

Psychic: I find most of my favorite Pokemon usually can do damage to types that Psychics are strong against so its something I dont usually need on my team

I rarely use rock, ground, steel, fighting, ghost, poison, dragon, or dark types. Kind of a long list when I look at it now. I always play the game with favorites rather than strong Pokemon, because the games aren't really that challenging anyway, and most of my favorites are not from the above types. I still try to have somewhat balanced teams, but I tend to miss out on physical attackers a lot of the time.

I've used pretty much every type, but some Pokemon I use end up being placeholders and are later replaced. I don't think I have ever seriously raised a Bug or Steel type Pokemon. I have given thoughts to them before, especially Pokemon like Heracross, but it just never happened. Maybe that might change one day now that Bug types are getting better.

I think I never used a Poison-type for my team member. Gastrodon was the last of the Ground types that I've used in Gen 4, and I haven't used a Ground type ever since Gen 5.

I don't think I have ever used a normal type Pokemon outside of the regional birds, and poison outside of the odd bug or type combo.

I rarely use Steel types. It's too focused on defense, which makes it unfit for the main storyline playthrough. The only ones I've used is Empoleon and Aegislash.
Also the only fighting type I've ever used is Primeape in FRLG

I normally use bug and normal types for the first two gyms or so but I always replace them later on.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom