• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tyrogue and the Hitmons

Kthleen

Reaction score
Hitmonlee:
Okay, how would Hitmonlee look? Is he (that's technically correct, since they are all male, right?) "represented incorrectly," or would he really look like what my sister describes as an upside-down dressed chicken? If he has one, where is his mouth? (Is it hidden? Does he absorb nutrients through his skin? Does he magically draw from "cosmic forces" the nourishment he needs?)
He doesn't look furry, feathery, or scaly, so I would assume that he's bare. However, his shape and other aspects are more interesting. The Pokédex describes how his legs "freely stretch and contract", are "springlike", and how they "will stretch even longer to strike a fleeing foe". If his legs do stretch so far, what is happening to the joints and the blood vessels in them? It is interesting that unlike Hitmontop, Hitmonlee does not have any claws on the back of his feet and has what may be vestigial toes on both sides of his feet. His lower arms look similar to his legs but also like Tyrogue's "bandages". About his torso shape: would it be essentially human, but with broader shoulders (and eyes in the middle!) and no head?

Hitmonchan:
I wonder what's with the tunic, shoes, and boxing gloves.... Hitmonchan has seriously thin arms, limbs for that matter, but that doesn't mean they can't hit hard. They did make me think of those boxing nuns, though, but I doubt that his arms work on the same principles. As AnnaJ speculates, what if the "gloves" aren't really gloves? Along with Jynx, why did whoever chose the clothes they wear choose that specific fashion, and why is it prevalent? (Has no one thought of giving the 'Chan black pants?) Unless they're not really clothes.... He has large built-in shoulder pads and a curious bony "crown". What are their purposes?

Hitmontop:
Is spinning, especially on one's head, really that great an idea? Perhaps it's a scare tactic. This one must have an incredible sense of direction, as he can spin quite fast and still tell where he's going. He has a large horn on the top of his head, on which he spins. The "ears" also appear to be hard. His body is a bit small, probably large enough to hold his head yet small in order to take the pressure off his head while he spins. The tail is retractable and it, along with the feet, have large spikes that would act as a deterrent while he's not spinning and a weapon while he is. His thick and probably reinforced claws are great for kicking. His fists are small. If they are naught but fused bones, they would be handy in that they would probably reduce the risk of breakage that the straight bones in human hands have, and they would still be hard. The wrists and legs are covered in what might appear to be bandages (Tyrogue has some, but 'Top is the only evolution to also have some), but what are they, really?

Tyrogue:
This little guy has some interesting ears and a serious pair of thighs. He also has those bony protuberances on the top of his head, like two of his three evolutions. He has two fingers and a thumb, like Hitmonlee. His "shoes" don't appear to be shoes as Hitmonchan's do. His abdomen and wrists are covered in white rings that may or may not be bandages, as are Hitmontop's wrists and legs. What they are (and if they would really be there in reality) is not known.

I'm going to speculate on Hitmonlee. It does resemble an upside-down dressed chicken. I also think it looks like the Tasmanian Devil after it has just survived a nuclear attack. I think its mouth is hidden. As far as stretching its limbs, I think of contortionists who bend freely in all directions without injuring themselves. Clearly, this Pokémon has extremely flexible skeletal and muscular structures.

I suspect that Hitmonchan's bony crown acts as a barrier, much like our skull does, in preventing severe head injuries. I'm clueless as to the clothes it wears. Both Pokémon are based on real people [Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan, respectively], so some human elements are there.

Human like hands would mean it's REALLY wearing boxing gloves. That just doesn't cut it for me.

Barb said:
Both Pokémon are based on real people [Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan, respectively], so some human elements are there.

Not sure about that, Barb. I think the names are completely different in Japanese so I doubt they were based off Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee.

Edit: Found another realistic drawing of Hitmochan I thought I would share with you:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/11302436/

Last edited:
Don't like the notion of giving them clothes. (Dobby!). The same, incidentally, goes for Jynx.

Maybe it's intelligent enough to find/ make and wear clothes?

Even without clothes, why can't it just have really muscular hands?

Last edited:
Where's Iveechan when you need her? Ummm...I don't get the Hitmons, either.

I know Hitmontop's fighting style is based on Kapoera (hence the Japanese name) style of kick-boxing where the fighters seem to almost be doing a dance (and often spin on their head).

Sawamular is based of the japanese kickboxer Sawamura Tadashi, while Ebiwalar is based on the boxer Ebihara Hiroyuki.

As for the clothes, I believe the pokemon appear rather human-like, and since human-like creatures running around with their genitals uncovered isn't really something society today accepts, certain pokemon are bound by law to wear clothes.

...Dobby?

Barb said:
I suspect that Hitmonchan's bony crown acts as a barrier, much like our skull does, in preventing severe head injuries.
He doesn't appear to use his head in battle, so why would he come to grow a crown-thing where he doesn't need one? Unless he uses it in another fashion, which is unknown to us.... What would you suggest?

Adamant said:
Sawamular is based of the japanese kickboxer Sawamura Tadashi, while Ebiwalar is based on the boxer Ebihara Hiroyuki.

As for the clothes, I believe the pokemon appear rather human-like, and since human-like creatures running around with their genitals uncovered isn't really something society today accepts, certain pokemon are bound by law to wear clothes.
Ooh, didn't know that. Thank you.

Why do you think the lavender tunic and the red dress with a strange golden thing are the predominant, if not only, type of clothing Hitmonchan and Jynx, respectively, wear? Has no one thought of giving the 'Chan black pants? I mean, does Hitmonchan wear anything under there? If they were worried about seeing his genitals, he's either wearing something under there, or they should have given him a longer tunic. Or pants.

Not necessarily using his head in battle, but the crown would protect him from a blow aimed in that direction.

I sincerely have no problems in seeing the Pokémon wearing clothes. If they really are as intelligent as I think, they could be capable enough to create clothes on their own. Maybe with different materials from industrial clothes: like, for example, the people who live in jungles and forests and whatever, who use plants, leaves, animalskin and fur... This would eventually lead to a Pokémon killing an other one to have its skin to use as clothes :/
Then again, I don't remember if we ever saw a wild Hitmonchan in the anime... In the games, you receive one from a human trainer only.
Couln't they be the usual Pokémon who WANT to be with humans because the trainers can give them useful objects to become stronger? (such as the boxing gloves)

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom