• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

UK Dialect or US Dialect?

Hahaha, I'm more of the Brooklyn dialect myself.

To me, either one is fine. I don't really get hung up with the dialect, as long as I can understand what you're saying. Although, I do hate US slang. It kinda pissed me off.

I'm from the Midwest. American English there is more general, you might say.

That said, I can't stay consistent between written dialects. I don't really care which. But I don't like a lot of American slang (or any slang I can't understand, really).

I'm from US and I say UK, proper english is always better over our slang that Americans have developed.
I don't know, watching shows from the British television doesn't really show much difference between the amount of slang used by the two populations. Really, the amount of slang words people use are more likely a function of their age group and socio-economic status and less of our geographical boundaries. I've heard UK slang, I don't understand a single word a person says when that happens even if they had a perfectly understandable accent when speaking in a more formal register.

And UK/US dialects? I would have thought there would be a lot of different dialects within the two countries themselves.
That's not a realistic expectation, when a population is separated from the country of origin by thousands of miles of ocean for centuries and only the last 100 or so with any high speed communications or even the ability to hear voices from abroad, how could you expect them to speak with the same dialect?
There's also the fact that the 'original English dialect' has probably changed over time as well, and the English language has certainly changed over its lifetime. Really, claims to 'originality' is just stupid, and quite frankly unrealistic especially when you can't even conform to one single dialect in your country either.

What I find really funny though is the r-drop English dialects where my mind automatically inserts the 'r' sound (phonemic restoration effect), and does so to the extent that words I'm not familiar with that don't have 'r' sounds but I assume they would in other accents, I manage to hear the 'r'

Last edited:
Still, that reminds me of the France Vs. Québec French.

Yes exactly. People here in France associate Quebecois with joke. I mean they laugh when they hear it.

Anyway. I choose UK dialect. I think the thread starter should realise there are different languages in UK, not just dialect. There's the Welsh.
I like hearing Scottish accent.

UK over US dialect for me. I'm from the Midwest (Missouri) were there isn't really any distinct accent or different dialect besides the generic US english. The only thing I've noticed is that on certain words my vowels are changed. Example of this is when I say "for" I'll usually say "fer" no idea why but I do xD same with "pillow" instead I'll say "pel-low". I can't really think of any slang that is annoying to me from around here but most american slang just bugs me while Uk slang does not.

I find the US dialect lazy for some reason (and I must admit, many American accents sound horrible and somewhat ditzy to me, particularly on females), although I prefer it to some of the irritating accents and mini-dialects we have here. :p I've got a neutral non-Cockney Londoner register and I like it best. No idea why everyone thinks I sound middle class for it. What I do think makes more sense, though, is the "ah" instead of "ar" in certain words.

I tend to alternate between the two. When you're an English guy who grew up watching American television and you're in a relationship with an American girl, you find your dialect becomes a mishmash of both countries.

I'm British. Take a wild guess xD

I also get angry how, because the majority of our anime and games are translated in America, we end up getting lumped with the American spellings of things. I even emailed TPCi asking if they could use the Hiragana/Katakana feature from the JP BW and make it UK English/US English xD

American slang is easier for me to understand than British slang, mainly because I'm American.

I go with the US but in spelling, having the u in color makes it sound french to me.

Well, being an American, I have appreciated the US accent, but the British accent sounds cool.

I like British accents, but I don't think any dialect is better than any other.

HOWDY YAWL HOWZA LYEK A COFFE YAWEL

^ Reason why I am grateful for being British. UK Definitely.

It doesn't matter to me. I am not from the US or UK. As long as you speech is understandable I'm fine.

While I think British Accents are quite attractive, I don't really have a preferred dialect. I'm from the Southern part of the United States (Kentucky), and I can say, I do have a southern accent. So, I guess my dialect is the US dialect.

HOWDY YAWL HOWZA LYEK A COFFE YAWEL

^ Reason why I am grateful for being British. UK Definitely.
Only people in the southern US talk like that.
No... just no. That is actually a bit insulting. It's like me saying all Brits talk with a Cockney accent. Television and films aren't something to go by. Ever.

As for the dialect question, I use both. I talk to friends from the UK all the time, so I switch it up with them. I also lived with some Brits this summer for a month, so I had about 4 or 5 accents and dialects coming from them.

I'm an Asian born American but I speak a few Asian languages so I have a bunch of Hmong, Filipino, Chinese, Korean, etc. mixed into my own dialect (former FOB dialect, even though I was born in america. ?!) I personally prefer British accents. Americans talk oddly ( No offense ) in my opinion. Wait... but i'm American... ??? Fail.

Meh, it doesn't really matter to me. English is English, people just have accents.

Myself, though, I'm used to basic American English (which is amazing, considering the people who made up the community I live[d] in).

Back
Top Bottom