• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

UK raises terror threat level to "severe"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Every Breaking Wave

Religion is a club
Reaction score
Source

CBC said:
The British government has raised its terror alert level from "substantial" to "severe," the second highest level, but it's not divulging the exact reason behind the decision.

Home Secretary Alan Johnson made the announcement Friday. He said it means his government considers an attack on British soil is likely and that security officials are heightening their vigilance. However, he stressed there is no intelligence suggesting an attack is imminent.

"The highest level of security alert is 'critical,' and that means an attack is imminent, and we're not at that level," Johnson said on British television.

"Yes, we have to be more alert, and it means that an attack has now moved to the level of being likely. We have absolutely no intelligence to suggest that it's imminent," he added.

The decision to raise the threat level was made by the country's Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre, consisting of intelligence officials and police chiefs.

Johnson declined to say what intelligence the change was based on, or whether the move was related to the failed Christmas bombing attempt, when U.S. authorities say a Nigerian named Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab tried to detonate a bomb during a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit.

Abdulmutallab, who allegedly had links to extremists based in Yemen, had studied as a university student in London.

"It shouldn't be thought to be linked to Detroit, or anywhere else for that matter," Johnson said. "We never say what the intelligence is."

The announcement came days after Britain suspended direct flights to Yemen's capital in response to the growing threat from al-Qaeda-affiliated militants based in that country.

Wow.
I'm pretty sure they're hiding something from everyone.

And also, I wish they would tell us which intelligence had it's influence on this.

And the real reason.
Why?

If it's not because of the Nigerian man, then why?

Unfortunately, we'll have to wait.
And unfortunately, we'll see.

Wow that's pretty scary stuff. Could probably happen with USA if it isn't already.

Sigh.
What has the world come to.

No need to blow up people, to get your point across.

I don't live in the UK, but the terrorists have gone too far. It's so ridiculous to kill innocent women and childre for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't live in the UK, but the terrorists have gone too far. It's so ridiculous to kill innocent women and childre for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's ok to kill men?

Hmm.The very fact they won't tell us the problem indicates that things are worse than they want us to think.As a UK resident,I demands more info!Stupid Government.

Hmm.The very fact they won't tell us the problem indicates that things are worse than they want us to think.As a UK resident,I demands more info!Stupid Government.

Chatter between terrorists is up

India is saying there is a plan to hijack a India airline jet and crash it into London

There is a major summit this week in Britain about Afghanistan that is a tempting target for terrorists

There is the Bin laden tape which people say may have clues for another attack

Many of the British Jihadists that were said to be training a few months ago will be finishing that training soon

Chatter between terrorists is up

India is saying there is a plan to hijack a India airline jet and crash it into London

There is a major summit this week in Britain about Afghanistan that is a tempting target for terrorists

There is the Bin laden tape which people say may have clues for another attack

Many of the British Jihadists that were said to be training a few months ago will be finishing that training soon

Where did you get all that...?
Anyway,thanks!

Where did you get all that...?
Anyway,thanks!

The first three were listed off in a interview as I flip through the main three cable news channels. The forth came out yesterday about the Bin laden tape. The fifth I remember just after the Christmas day attack, British sources saying that there were up to 20 jihadists finishing their training in Britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom