• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ula'ula Island arc

JFrombaugh

Reaction score
Even with the unexpected detour to Ultra Space arc, it's probably a safe assumption given the anime's history that the class will at some point travel to Ula'ula Island (or at least, Ash will, in order to battle his third Kahuna). So what things are you hoping to see in this arc, if and when it does come?

My predictions and wishlist are as follows:

1. Since Ash already has an Electrium-Z, my guess is that the episode featuring the observatory will focus on Sophocles instead (much like how Lana was the one to beat Totem Wishiwashi & Kiawe's Marowak more or less took the place of the Trial). I think it would be cool if Molyane appeared and Sophocles wanted to check in to see how his research was going.

2. Similarly, I think it would be cool if the Ghost Trial & Totem Mimikyu was actually undertaken by Team Rocket. Or at least we get some other episode involving the Abandoned Thirfty Megamart that focuses on Jessie's Mimikyu.

3. I have a really good feeling that Snowy WILL evolve into an Alolan Ninetales when the class visits Mt. Lanakila. Given how randomly Lana found a Z-Ring in SM032, I could totally see Lillie pretty much accidentally finding an Ice Stone during the visit to see the progress of construction on the Pokémon League.

4. Given how different the climate on Mt. Lanakila is from the rest of Alola, I'm hoping for some pretty funny classmate scenes in that episode. For instance we might get some over dramatic scenes of Kiawe trying to be tough and stick out the cold in his shirtless outfit instead of putting on a coat, and Lana or Mallow could get sick from the altitude.

5. And last but not least, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Team Skull sub-arc and Guzma finally making an anime appearance!

3. I have a really good feeling that Snowy WILL evolve into an Alolan Ninetales when the class visits Mt. Lanakila. Given how randomly Lana found a Z-Ring in SM032, I could totally see Lillie pretty much accidentally finding an Ice Stone during the visit to see the progress of construction on the Pokémon League.
I can't really see her with a Ninetales. She can't carry it and can't pet it in her lap. Also, according to her feud with Lusamine, she prefer unevolved pokemon to their evolved forms.

Last edited:
Since the anime feels like a prologue to what we saw in the games, I wouldn't be surprised if Molayne and Sophocles don't know each other and that becomes Sophocles' goal

Sophocles will probably finally get a Z-Ring and the Steelium Z for Togedemaru

I'm also holding out hope for Ilima, Hau, and Plumeria, but I'm not holding my breath

I can't really see her with a Ninetales. She can't carry it and can't pet it in her lap. Also, according to her feud with Lusamine, she prefer unevolved pokemon to their evolved forms.

I was thinking that what could happen is that Snowy would actually WANT to evolve, and would touch the Ice Stone on its own. Maybe after learning about Lillie’s dark past, it decided it wanted to become stronger so that it can truly be a shepherd who stands up for the shy & vulnerable girl that raised it from its egg.

In fact, after the Clefable feud, I think this would actually be an interesting plot development for Lillie - basically she learns to accept that even if Snowy isn’t as “cute” anymore in her opinion after evolving, it’s still the same Pokémon on the inside and will always be there for her.

Last edited:
I just hope it goes as well as things did on Akala with characters & Pokemon getting some new stuff and/or development. Maybe Mallow and Sophocles get something this time.

Though I am a little concerned that all this stuff about Ultra Guardians and Ultra Beasts will mean they don't much with Ula'Ula and Poni. For all we know, they may skip them all together :cautious:

I think Ash is more likely to get a Steelium Z, given the fact that it was kinda built up in an earlier episode how Pikachu's Iron Tail would be compatible with it.
They also pointed out all of Ash's pokémon could use Normalium Z due to their moves (Quick Attack, Tackle, Scratch) yet lately he has only been using Z-moves that correspond to his pokémon's primary types - Electric, Grass, and Rock

'Course, if he gets Alolan Sandshrew...

Lillie's a shoe-in for Icium Z thanks to the ED - which makes me wonder if Team Rocket is going to steal Ash's Normalium Z since Jessie does the Z-pose for it...

Ash needs to catch a new Pokemon. His last new Pokemon was Litten 30-ish episodes ago.
I want to say Minior, but that's the only island-exclusive that I can think of

Ash needs to catch a new Pokemon. His last new Pokemon was Litten 30-ish episodes ago.
I want to say Minior, but that's the only island-exclusive that I can think of

My guess would be as bold as Poipole. I base this guess on a piece of Japanese merchandise, where a Poipole is featured together with some of Ash's other Pokémon. He could catch one as a part of the upcoming Ultra Guardians arc.

I know Poipole is an Ultra Beast and all, but it's not the strongest of them, nor as broken as, say, a Legendary Pokémon, so I think it's completely in the realm of possibility.

BTW, regarding point #4...

I have actually been to the Mauna Kea observatories in Hawaii. You are warned over and over again about altitude sickness and the tour guides actually carry O2 canisters just in case. I was okay myself aside from feeling a little giddy, but several other people in my tour's group got really bad headaches and/or felt dizzy.

I know Pokémon sometimes forgets about real-world science and such, but since you ascend from sea level to ~13,500 feet in just a few hours, the altitude hazards are such a major part of visiting Mauna Kea that you would at least expect it to be mentioned in Mt. Lanakila...

It's the potential Skull arc I'm most interested in right now because, let's be honest, they need better representation than those three nincompoops. I know they're the red herring team of Gen VII, but come on...

It's the potential Skull arc I'm most interested in right now because, let's be honest, they need better representation than those three nincompoops. I know they're the red herring team of Gen VII, but come on...

In the games, Guzma is first encountered on Ula'ula, so I think it's likely he'll make his anime debut there, too.

In the games, Guzma is first encountered on Ula'ula, so I think it's likely he'll make his anime debut there, too.
That's what I'm hoping, but I'm cautious about this since we're overdue for a Plumeria debut if that's the case. She was first encountered on Akala.

Well, there is that Pikachu doll dressed in Guzma's clothes, so his chances are looking decent. Especially thanks to having a fairly prominent role in USUM.

I'd almost be surprised in a way if they do continue with the Trials. I haven't seen anything from the Ultra Space arc, but the Island Challenge has been increasingly more of an afterthought in the series. They probably will still incorporate them somehow, if only so that Ash and some of his friends can get more Z-Crystals for new Z-Moves, but a part of me wouldn't be shocked if they dropped the Island Challenge altogether. It wouldn't be a huge stretch given how the series has handled them.

I'd be curious how they could incorporate Team Skull into the series at this point. We got those three grunts, but they haven't shown up in ages and not introducing either Plumeria or Guzma earlier is a strange decision, especially when they already covered the storyline with Nebby.

My guess would be as bold as Poipole. I base this guess on a piece of Japanese merchandise, where a Poipole is featured together with some of Ash's other Pokémon. He could catch one as a part of the upcoming Ultra Guardians arc.

I know Poipole is an Ultra Beast and all, but it's not the strongest of them, nor as broken as, say, a Legendary Pokémon, so I think it's completely in the realm of possibility.
Poipole is a sub-legendary. It's basically a low tier legendary. Having a low BST and an evolution does not change that. As a result it is off limits to Ash.

Poipole is a sub-legendary. It's basically a low tier legendary. Having a low BST and an evolution does not change that. As a result it is off limits to Ash.

We'll see about that. I'll stick to my careful optimism for now, though.

And even if Ash didn't catch it, my second (although less desirable) guess that it's going to be another Nebby case: a recurring Pokémon that hangs out with the group gor a while.

And even if Ash didn't catch it, my second (although less desirable) guess that it's going to be another Nebby case: a recurring Pokémon that hangs out with the group gor a while.

Ah heck, that's to be expected.

It's not just Nebby, but another Meloetta/Squishy/almost Celebi case. ;)

That's what I think will happen. I don't think that Poipole will actually be caught by anyone, and will instead be a wild Pokemon that follows the group around.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom