• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ula'ula Island arc

I'd almost be surprised in a way if they do continue with the Trials. I haven't seen anything from the Ultra Space arc, but the Island Challenge has been increasingly more of an afterthought in the series. They probably will still incorporate them somehow, if only so that Ash and some of his friends can get more Z-Crystals for new Z-Moves, but a part of me wouldn't be shocked if they dropped the Island Challenge altogether. It wouldn't be a huge stretch given how the series has handled them.

I'd be curious how they could incorporate Team Skull into the series at this point. We got those three grunts, but they haven't shown up in ages and not introducing either Plumeria or Guzma earlier is a strange decision, especially when they already covered the storyline with Nebby.

I think in the wedding episode, Gladion told Ash that he's going to do the trials to get stronger after seeing Ash do the Z Move to 'beat' Nihilego. Ash replied with he's going to finish them as well. So they'd be completed for sure plus SM need as much as they can to fill time atm.

I think in the wedding episode, Gladion told Ash that he's going to do the trials to get stronger after seeing Ash do the Z Move to 'beat' Nihilego. Ash replied with he's going to finish them as well. So they'd be completed for sure plus SM need as much as they can to fill time atm.

Ah, I wasn't aware that they've been mentioned in any recent episodes. From what I've seen of images, the focus has been on Cosmog and adapting the Sun/Moon climax, so I didn't know weather or not the Trials would still be important. I'm still rather confused about how many Trials Ash actually needs to do to complete the Island Challenge when they already had him skip two Trials.

Ah, I wasn't aware that they've been mentioned in any recent episodes. From what I've seen of images, the focus has been on Cosmog and adapting the Sun/Moon climax, so I didn't know weather or not the Trials would still be important. I'm still rather confused about how many Trials Ash actually needs to do to complete the Island Challenge when they already had him skip two Trials.

Just one trial per island, then the Kahuna.

Melemele: Totem Gumshoos (Normalium Z) -> Hala (Electrium Z)
Akala: Totem Lurantis (Grassium Z) -> Olivia (Rockium Z)
Ula'ula: He already has the Electrium Z, so the only trial for him here is the Ghost trial unless they make an anime-exclusive trial for him > Nanu
Poni: Either the Dragon or Fairy trials > Hapu

Ula'ula: He already has the Electrium Z, so the only trial for him here is the Ghost trial unless they make an anime-exclusive trial for him > Nanu
He could get Steelium from the Hokulani Observatory.

That would make sense given how both Melemele and Akala Trials were handled. It just makes the Island Challenge much less noteworthy or challenging if he's only doing four out of eight Trials. Maybe they wanted to give Ash a total of eight Trials like how he always had eight Gym battles and just include the Grand Trials for that amount. The idea of including the Fairy trial would make sense as a way to include more US/UM material in the show, but I don't know how they could make that work either. It wouldn't really make sense to battle against his friends given that they aren't Trial Captains in the show and it wouldn't make his Island Challenge come full circle. I guess that the way SM has handled the Trials does still bother me, especially when US/UM did offer improvements to most of the Trials in my opinion in regards to their structure and being a challenge. SM seems completely uninterested in Trials by comparison and going by the show, you wouldn't really think that the Island Challenge was the seventh generation version of Gym battles.

The one thing I realize about SM is that they seem to run the anime in arcs which is something they haven't really done throughout the older series. By this I mean there's usually the overarching plot of the league and then the villain team gets an arc. In SM however everything seems split into arcs and then there's filler in between sort of like Naruto which sort of explains why they totally ignore trials for large amounts of times although that is something I really dislike. Also the whole one trial and then grand kahuna kinda makes the kahunas seem unimportant imo. Maybe they want it to be 8 like gym badges in a sense but I still find it really silly and the gaps between them are really huge then the trial and grand trial are squished together in like two episodes which is like two badges in two episodes which sucks.

Another problem I assume the writers have is that they work on this series arc by arc as compared to XY for example where they were given a time frame to completely write the whole series and present it. It would explain how Dusk Lycanroc was added to Akala and why the arc themselves seem rushed sometimes. If they really are gonna promote USUM until the series is over now then my guess is the arcs would seem even more rushed especially the trials since they would want to promote the Ultra Guardian plot and maybe even Necrozma etc. Anything to make merchandising off plus they'd want to market anime Lillie based on her game popularity.

The one thing I realize about SM is that they seem to run the anime in arcs which is something they haven't really done throughout the older series. By this I mean there's usually the overarching plot of the league and then the villain team gets an arc. In SM however everything seems split into arcs and then there's filler in between sort of like Naruto which sort of explains why they totally ignore trials for large amounts of times although that is something I really dislike. Also the whole one trial and then grand kahuna kinda makes the kahunas seem unimportant imo. Maybe they want it to be 8 like gym badges in a sense but I still find it really silly and the gaps between them are really huge then the trial and grand trial are squished together in like two episodes which is like two badges in two episodes which sucks.

I'm not sure that there are that many filler episodes in the series. Despite the large gaps between the Trials and the Grand Trials, it doesn't seem like there are any more filler episodes than usual in the series. Having to go through just one Trial before the Grand Trial does make the Kahunas less noteworthy at least. I know that you go into a Grand Trial after your first Trial, but that seems more reasonable as a starting off point of the Island Challenge. Making every island function like that just seems boring. It also results in the Trials and Grand Trials being completely so quickly, which makes them feel more like an afterthought rather than an important accomplishment.

Rajas20 said:
Another problem I assume the writers have is that they work on this series arc by arc as compared to XY for example where they were given a time frame to completely write the whole series and present it. It would explain how Dusk Lycanroc was added to Akala and why the arc themselves seem rushed sometimes. If they really are gonna promote USUM until the series is over now then my guess is the arcs would seem even more rushed especially the trials since they would want to promote the Ultra Guardian plot and maybe even Necrozma etc. Anything to make merchandising off plus they'd want to market anime Lillie based on her game popularity.

I didn't have too much of a problem with the pacing for the Akala arc, although Dusk Lycanroc did feel a bit sudden due to how little on-screen battling Ash had done with Rockruff up to that point. While I do like and enjoy SM, the clear lack of focus is a pretty big problem and that could continue on given that they already covered the major storyline of the Sun/Moon games. It's why I really wouldn't have been surprised in a way if they just dropped the Island Challenge before given that it doesn't seem to impact Ash other than the chance to use more Z-Moves.

I’m hoping we’ll at least get to see Ash do Acerola’s trial, since he doesn’t have much of a need to do Sophocles trial. He already has the Electrium-Z, so Sophocles will probably get focus. Leading up to Ash’s Grand Trial with Nanu, I’m hoping Guzma will finally show up, and we’ll get to see the Po Town takeover.

Here's another idea: What if the class travelled to Ula'Ula Island by Mantine Surfing?

Well based on episode 60, the Ula Ula island episode is a snow boarding one with Lillie. Sounds boring af tbh

SM060 could just be a first adventure on Ula'ula Island and the Grand Trial arc will happen soon. Ash visited Akala in one episode before the Akala arc happened, so... SM061 could take place on Ula'ula too. Although that episode's summary says "the island", which most likely just Melemele.

Pretty sure they would have to suit up at the AF most likely so they'd leave Ula Ula. Ik Bewear is a God in the anime so it may be on Ula Ula so who knows. I'm not saying 60 will be the only episode, I just think it's really weak plus why does Lillie need more time to shine. Could've given it to Sophocles or something. Shiron better learn a new move at least with it's one move useless self.

I'm not saying 60 will be the only episode, I just think it's really weak plus why does Lillie need more time to shine. Could've given it to Sophocles or something. Shiron better learn a new move at least with it's one move useless self.

I hope Snowy learns a new move too. In fact, I see it as a possibility that this episode is going to have character buildup for Snowy instead of Lillie. Or at least both of them.

I agree with most things the OP has said.

-The Electric trial is a good opportunity for Sophocles focus, we could see Charjabug evolving or he having a battle with Molayne.
-Malie City could be used, it would be a nice break seeing an urban enviroment and its gym could tie into Kukui's dream of having a league,but I'm not expecting much.
-The Ghost trial...I will be very surprised if it's something different from a scary episode + Mimikyu battle in the last 5 minutes.
-I think we could get a Po Town two-parter, where Guzma is introduced and the group has to retrieve something from them like in the games. This would lead to Nanu's appareance and his battle with Ash.

Knowing Ash, he will probably want Piopole to go back to its home.

Placing bets on Ash keeps it until after the league then lets it go. Poipole makes Ash OP until the league, makes Rowlett stay a joke and Ash carelessly fails at making his Pokemon stronger due to relying on Hail Mary's then Gladion smashes him and brings him back down to earth.

Placing bets on Ash keeps it until after the league then lets it go. Poipole makes Ash OP until the league, makes Rowlett stay a joke and Ash carelessly fails at making his Pokemon stronger due to relying on Hail Mary's then Gladion smashes him and brings him back down to earth.

Poipole's BST is 420.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom