• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ultra Psyspam - A Gen 7 Ubers Team

SharKing

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score
Man, it's been forever since I posted in these forums, hasn't it?

Anyway, I've been playing in the Uber tier for the past few months, mainly because I was inspired to use Ultra Necrozma as best as I could - this naturally led to a Psyspam team. I've been steadily changing and improving the team however I could think to do with my limited teambuilding skills, and I think I've come up with something I can proudly share, especially since it got me a ranking of over 1600 in Showdown's Uber ladder!

So without further ado, here's my team.

tapulele.gif

Tapu Lele

Timid / Terrain Extender / Psychic Surge
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

Psychic
Moonblast
Nature's Madness
Taunt

Can't have a Psyspam team without Tapu Lele, now, can ya? With Psychic Surge and a Terrain Extender, I get eight turns of Psychic Terrain just for sending in Lele. As for moves, we have a couple of obvious STABs to start off: Psychic just hits hard with the Terrain, and Moonblast mostly covers Dark-types while also threatening Dragons like Zygarde. Nature's Madness deals a good chunk of damage to walls, and a follow-up Taunt prevents them from healing that damage off. Taunt also stops entry hazards from slower 'mons like Primal Groudon, and it completely shuts down obvious Smeargle or Cloyster leads.

necrozma-duskmane.gif
necrozma-ultra.gif

Dusk Mane -> Ultra
Necrozma

Jolly / Ultranecrozium Z / Prism Armor -> Neuroforce
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Photon Geyser
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Swords Dance

As I said, the Blinding One itself is the main reason why I built the team in the first place. I wanted to wield the crushing power of a Terrain-boosted Light That Burns the Sky, which annihalates most things that aren't Dark-type, even without Swords Dance in many cases! Photon Geyser itself is also a very respectable STAB move, especially with the Terrain boost. Earthquake offers coverage against many notable threats, like Primal Groudon, Dusk Mane Necrozma, and most Steel-types out there. As frustrating as Stone Miss can be, I've found it to be practically mandatory on this set to hit Yveltal on a predicted switch-in, since Yveltal is a massive threat to this thing's attempts to sweep, especially if it's Scarfed. Hitting Lugia after Stealth Rock is also very nice. Swords Dance is there in case Necrozma does find an opening to sweep, especially since it can use the superior bulk and typing of its Dusk Mane form, as well as the mindgame of "is it gonna Ultra Burst this turn?", to set up.

deoxys-attack.gif

Attack Forme
Deoxys

Modest / Life Orb / Pressure
4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

Psycho Boost
Psyshock
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball

This thing is busted under Psychic Terrain. Not only does it get the obvious power boost to its already-ridonkulous Psychic attacks, but it also becomes immune to priority, which otherwise murders it. Psycho Boost is an absolute nuke in the Terrain, breaking through pretty much everything that doesn't resist it. Psyshock is there as an alternate STAB with better accuracy that doesn't lower my Special Attack, and it crushes specially-defensive targets like Ho-Oh, Primal Kyogre, and Blissey. Ice Beam is for the obvious Ice-weak Ubers, like Yveltal, Zygarde, Lugia, and so on. Shadow Ball is mostly there to deal with Necrozma, Lunala, and other Psychics that aren't weak to Ice Beam.

NOTE: I used to run Superpower in Psyshock's place, but over time, I've found that it's not overly worth it on this team, and I'd much rather have a reliable STAB that doesn't force me to switch out. If I do decide to run it again, it might replace Shadow Ball, which can't 2HKO specially defensive Dusk Mane Necrozma, even with Rocks - however, it's still my best answer to Lunala. I also never ran Extreme Speed because that's just counterintuitive to playing with Psychic Terrain (which even shuts down your own priority against grounded targets), and it doesn't hurt Yveltal as much as I'd like anyway.

magearna.gif

Magearna

Calm / Leftovers / Soul-Heart
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef

Fleur Cannon
Volt Switch
Pain Split
Heart Swap

Magearna is a very useful stopgap to two major threats to this team: Yveltal and Xerneas. Yveltal can't hurt it outside of Heat Wave, and the rare Y-bird that does carry it usually isn't Scarfed, allowing Deoxys or Necrozma to deal with it (especially with Terrain shutting down Sucker Punch). Xerneas can't touch Magearna at all if it's Scarfed, and Geomancy variants lead to ragequits at the sight of Heart Swap.

Fleur Cannon is a powerful STAB that makes Magearna less passive and deals with things like Marshadow and Dark-types; the Special Attack drop even has situational utility with Heart Swap. Volt Switch is mainly there to get things like Deoxys on the field safely, especially with Magearna's low Speed. Primal Groudon and Zygarde are obvious answers to an obvious Volt Switch (or Fleur Cannon in Groudon's case), but that also opens up a hard-switch opportunity if I call it right. And finally, Pain Split allows it to stay alive by siphoning off bulky opponents, like Lugia and Blissey.

groudon-primal.gif

Primal
Groudon

Impish / Red Orb / Drought -> Desolate Land
252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef

Precipice Blades
Rock Tomb
Toxic
Stealth Rock

Most Uber teams run Primal Groudon, and most competitive singles teams run Stealth Rock somewhere, so it should be no surprise to anyone at all that both of those staples would appear here. Since I'm relying on a couple of powerful sweepers as the centerpieces of my team, it only makes sense to set up Rocks and ease their sweeps. Groudon itself is good at forcing switches to set the Rocks, and it deals with Defoggers not named Arceus decently.

Precipice Blades is the obvious STAB, dealing immense damage due to its high power, STAB, and Primal Groudon's terrifying Attack, even without investment. Rock Tomb is mostly for dealing with Ho-Oh, which often comes in on Groudon to preempt the Rocks and attempt to Defog them; Rock Tomb's Speed drop obviously has other uses as well. And of course, Toxic is for putting a timer on other Defoggers and walls in general; most things that are immune to Toxic hate having to deal with Precipice Blades as a consequence, so it works out.

arceus-ground.gif

Arceus

Timid / Earth Plate / Multitype
252 HP / 4 Def / 60 SAtk / 192 Spe

Judgment
Ice Beam
Recover
Defog

Obviously, this thing is meant to get rid of entry hazards on my side of the field with Defog, and it's very good at doing that, thanks to its survivability and Recover. However, the reason I specifically went with Groundceus is to answer what was a huge threat to previous versions of the team: Rock Polish sweepers, chiefly Primal Groudon and Dusk Mane Necrozma.

Ground Judgment hits them both for super-effective damage, notably killing Necrozma in two hits if it isn't the specially defensive set, and Arceus can usually survive two Sunsteel Strikes, or a Swords Dance-boosted one, thanks to its HP investment (watch out for Searing Sunraze Smash, though). The Special Attack EVs allow Judgment to always KO the standard RP Primal Groudon after Rocks, which is important because Arceus can't take two Precipice Blades without fully investing in Defense (and even then, it's still a gamble on damage rolls). Finally, Ice Beam is natural coverage alongside a Ground move, and it nails Zygarde and Mega Salamence, preventing them from setting up easily.

So that's the team I've been working on for quite some time. What do you guys think? Are there ways it could be further improved? Knowing me, I probably missed something in the metagame, even after all this. XD

Importable:
Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Heart Swap

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 60 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Defog

UBERS isn't really one of the formats i play so my knowledge of the current meta is very limited. but out of curiosity.. How popular are the other Tapu's in that format? Just wondering since most of the time in other formats the terrain is usually changed before it actually ends so the terrain extender seems like it could potentially be something else unless you're consistently able to have it end without fear of it changing.. And I'm not sure how popular Steela is but it looks to threaten your team quite a bit as there is no true counter to it if you encounter one.. Mage's Volt Switch is the only SE damage against it.
And lastly P-Don without a fire type move does seem a bit weird tbh lol.

Well, from what I've seen, Tapu Lele's the only one of the four guardian deities that's even viable in Ubers, and that's solely because of Psychic Surge on teams like mine, which are designed to abuse it as much as possible with the tier's many powerful Psychic attackers. Koko's Electric Surge doesn't help much of anything outside of Primal Kyogre (which would trade off Rest for a stronger Thunder, not overly worth it) or the near-unviable Zekrom, Bulu's Grassy Surge would only be mildly useful for its healing effect, which isn't worth one of your six 'mons even on stall teams, and Fini's Misty Surge is similarly not worth it even for its status immunity or protection against Dragon moves, which are surprisingly uncommon (mainly because of Xerneas, I think). Without those three, Lele can set its Psychic Terrain uncontested the vast majority of the time, so there's basically no risk in extending it.

I haven't seen a lot of Celesteela, but while it could be a threat, Necrozma can more or less set up in its face before it Ultra Bursts, with only Leech Seed being a mild annoyance.

Ah i looked up the usage a while back and Lele was the only one decently ranked. It's not like in the recent VGC19 where Amoongus is a common threat to ogre with spore and koko is used to keep ogre from taking a snooze..

Yeah it could setup with seeds still up but that would be the only thing to deal decent enough damage.. If it stays low enough in usage then it could potentially not be as much of a problem..

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom