• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ultra Spooky Cup

Fluttershy of Light

Star Guardian Ahri
Reaction score
detail_en_a084e3b9-521c-4ce6-b3b1-b8de772030b4.jpg

The Next Global Link Competition has been announced. The Spooky Cup is keeping to the Spirit of Halloween with only Pokemon that are Spooky are allowed into the competition. The format is singles and allows for 6 Pokemon to be used but only 3 of them will be allowed in one battle. Items minus the Mega Stones are allowed for this Cup. The normal ban on duplicate items and Pokemon however are in place.​

The Following Pokemon are allowed in this format
Abomasnow, Absol, Aegislash, Aerodactyl, Araquanid, Arbok, Ariados,

Baltoy, Banette, Basculin, Beheeyem, Bewear, Bisharp, Blacephalon,

Cacnea, Cacturne, Carnivinve, Carvanha, Chandelure, Claydol, Cofagrigus, Crawdaunt, Croagunk, Crobat, Cubone,

Darkrai, Decidueye, Dewpider, Dhelmise, Ditto, Doublade, Drapion, Drifblim, Drifloon, Drowzee, Dusclops, Dusknoir, Duskull, Dustox,

Eevee, Ekans, Electivire, Elgyem, Espeon, Espur, Exploud,

Frillish, Froslass,

Galvantuala, Garbodor, Gastly, Gengar, Gigalith, Glalie, Gligar, Gliscor, Golbat, Golett, Golisopod, Golurk, Gothita, Gothitelle, Gothorita, Gourgeist, Granbull, Grimer (both), Gulpin, Guzzlord,

Haunter, Honchkrow, Honedge, Hoopa (regular form only), Hoothoot, Houndoom, Houndour, Huntail, Hydreigon, Hypno,

Incineroar,

Jellicent, Joltik,

Kabuto, Kabutops, Koffing, Krokorok, Krookidile,

Lampent, Larvesta, Liepard, Litwik, Loudred, Lunatone, Lycanroc (Midnight),

Magmortar, Malamar, Mandibuzz, Mareanie, Marowak (both), Marshadow, Mawile, Meostic, Meowth (Alolan only), Mightyena, Mimikyu, Misdreavus, Mismagius, Mr. Mime, Muk (both), Murkrow,

Naganadel, Nihilego, Noctowl, Noibat, Noivern,

Omanyte, Omastar,

Palossand, Pancham, Pangoro, Paras, Parasect, Persian (Alolan only), Pikachu, Pinsir, Poipole, Pumpkaboo, Purrlion,

Raticate (both) Rattata (both), Rotom (all forms),

Sableye, Salandit, Salazzle, Sandygast, Scolipede, Seviper, Sharpedo, Shedinja, Shiftry, Shiinotic, Shuppet, Sigilyph, Silvally, Skorupi, Skuntank, Slurpuff, Sneasel, Snorunt, Spinarak, Spiritomb, Stuffel, Stunky, Swalot, Swirlix, Swoobat,

Tangela, Tangrowth, Tentacool, Tentacruel, Toxapex, Toxicroak, Trevenant, Trubbish, Type: Null,

Umbreon, Unown,

Venipede, Victreebel, Vileplume, Volcarona, Vullaby,

Weavile, Weezing, Whirlipede, Whismur, Wobbuffet, Woobat,

Xirkitree,

Yamask, Yanmega,

Zangoose, Zoroark, Zorua, Zubat, and Zweilous​
The reward for participating is a Shiny Mimikyu.

Registration for the Spooky Cup is now available. If you just want to play on the competition then you just need three of the above Pokémon and to sign in using your USUM account on the Global Link then click the link provided and follow the instructions on the site.

Hey guys!

I didn't see a thread about this ongoing competition, so I thought I'd make one for people who are interested! Is anyone else on the forums here partaking in the Ultra Spooky Cup 2018? If so, what team are you using and how is your tournament going?

This is the first time I partake in an online competition of any sort. I think I'm doing okay but I'd love to get tips and advice from more experienced competitive players out there!

I just finished my first 15 games for the first day. I've won 7 and lost 8 (KO'd 32 Pokémon and taken 29 KOs). My team is:

Blacephalon (Naive; Beast Boost; Firium Z): Mind Blown; Fire Blast; Shadow Ball; Trick (11 battles).

Golisopod (Lonely; Emergency Exit; Muscle Band): First Impression; Liquidation; Pin Missile; Iron Defense (11 battles).

Hydreigon (Bold; Levitate; Leftovers): Dragon Rush; Crunch; Body Slam; Roar (7 battles).

Nihilego (Quiet; Beast Boost; Shell Bell): Power Gem; Acid Spray; Stealth Rock; Mirror Coat (7 battles).

Xurkitree (Brave; Beast Boost; Electrium Z): Discharge; Power Whip; Hypnosis; Electric Terrain (6 battles).

Silvally (Relaxed; RKS System; Steel Memory): Multi-Attack; Iron Head; Tri Attack; Punishment (3 battles).

Any thoughts? Happy Halloween!

@Gísli Garðarsson
I merged your thread with this one since it's about the same Competition :p

as for your team I do have a few questions lol

Blacephalon: What is trick for since it's holding the Firium Z-Crystal which can't be traded away?
Naive is also a rather meh nature for Blace.. the Ideal Natures for it are generally Timid or Modest..

Golisopod: My only concern besides the Nature is Pin Missile and Iron Defense.. These aren't really helping all that much since you'd be giving Marshadow a boost and isn't fast enough for Pin Missile. Especially with quite a few pokemon that have Sash will be resisting bug type. It would be better to have Aqua Jet for Priority which was very useful for this format.
Adamant would be the better ability here.

Hydreigon: The Nature and Moveset is contradicting Itself.. Bold decreases the attack and yet it has Physical moves.. It would be better to have Hydreigon as a Special attacker or another Nature.. Either Jolly or adamant would work. Body Slam is the only move I'd replace not counting difference in preferences for Dragon Rush.. Roar is ok since it prevents certain pokemon from setting up. Item could probably be switched out

Nihilego: The nature is not really helping here with Nihil not having Trick room or scarfed. Acid Spray is an usual choice but I can see it being useful for things like Toxapex since It's too bulky.
You'd probably want Timid for this kind of set. The item could probably be switched out

Xurkitree: The only thing I'd suggest is swapping out the nature to Timid/ Modest and Energy Ball over Power Whip. Xurk is more powerful as a special attacker than it is physical.

Silvally: Steel is honestly not that useful in this format. Marshadow is too prominent and CC just one shots it. Tri attack could be replaced for some better coverage. Multi-attack, and Iron Head are redundant since they are both Steel type. I'm not sure how I feel about Punishment tbh..

This was my team.
Team.PNG
Marshadow is a Standard set, Naga is almost standard for this format just minus the Z crystal, Xurkitree is for Toxapex, as is Volc for the Psychic Z, Aero is my main nuke, and Zoroark is for Illusion Scarf shenanigans lol. I ended up around 1650 when the Cup ended.

@Gísli Garðarsson
I merged your thread with this one since it's about the same Competition :p

as for your team I do have a few questions lol

Blacephalon: What is trick for since it's holding the Firium Z-Crystal which can't be traded away?
Naive is also a rather meh nature for Blace.. the Ideal Natures for it are generally Timid or Modest..

Golisopod: My only concern besides the Nature is Pin Missile and Iron Defense.. These aren't really helping all that much since you'd be giving Marshadow a boost and isn't fast enough for Pin Missile. Especially with quite a few pokemon that have Sash will be resisting bug type. It would be better to have Aqua Jet for Priority which was very useful for this format.
Adamant would be the better ability here.

Hydreigon: The Nature and Moveset is contradicting Itself.. Bold decreases the attack and yet it has Physical moves.. It would be better to have Hydreigon as a Special attacker or another Nature.. Either Jolly or adamant would work. Body Slam is the only move I'd replace not counting difference in preferences for Dragon Rush.. Roar is ok since it prevents certain pokemon from setting up. Item could probably be switched out

Nihilego: The nature is not really helping here with Nihil not having Trick room or scarfed. Acid Spray is an usual choice but I can see it being useful for things like Toxapex since It's too bulky.
You'd probably want Timid for this kind of set. The item could probably be switched out

Xurkitree: The only thing I'd suggest is swapping out the nature to Timid/ Modest and Energy Ball over Power Whip. Xurk is more powerful as a special attacker than it is physical.

Silvally: Steel is honestly not that useful in this format. Marshadow is too prominent and CC just one shots it. Tri attack could be replaced for some better coverage. Multi-attack, and Iron Head are redundant since they are both Steel type. I'm not sure how I feel about Punishment tbh..

This was my team. Marshadow is a Standard set, Naga is almost standard for this format just minus the Z crystal, Xurkitree is for Toxapex, as is Volc for the Psychic Z, Aero is my main nuke, and Zoroark is for Illusion Scarf shenanigans lol. I ended up around 1650 when the Cup ended.

Thanks for the comments and tips - I definitely have a lot to learn about competitive battling and these are super helpful! Trick on Blacephalon was something I should have changed before the tournament but ran out of time on when I was preparing. Regarding Golisopod’s Pin Missile, it was helpful against Mimikyu’s Disguise and Substitute users since it inflicts damage beyond breaking them. Mimikyu was, however, still the bane of my existence in the competition (as well as Marshadow, as you could obviously guess, haha).

I also like your team! I especially love the Zoroark having Choice Scarf and Trick. 1650 is also obviously very good - but were there any specific Pokémon or strategies that you had problems with for this team or did it all pan out?

Thanks for the comments and tips - I definitely have a lot to learn about competitive battling and these are super helpful! Trick on Blacephalon was something I should have changed before the tournament but ran out of time on when I was preparing. Regarding Golisopod’s Pin Missile, it was helpful against Mimikyu’s Disguise and Substitute users since it inflicts damage beyond breaking them. Mimikyu was, however, still the bane of my existence in the competition (as well as Marshadow, as you could obviously guess, haha).

I also like your team! I especially love the Zoroark having Choice Scarf and Trick. 1650 is also obviously very good - but were there any specific Pokémon or strategies that you had problems with for this team or did it all pan out?
The main problems I had with the team is Toxapex. Though I didn't run into them until near the end of my battles luckily.. I had a few answers for it in Naga, Volcarona and Xurk.. But if they got knocked out before taking it out I was going to be in a difficult spot because the other two Pokémon likely weren't going to be doing much to it. Gliscor was a bit of a nuisance as well but i could at least damage it with Aerodactyl and Marshadow. Xurk was another Pokémon hard to deal with because it was usually Choice Scarf set.. The speed and power would likely cripple a few of my Pokémon.
You can lock in your team at any time during the competition. So if you need a few move chances there is always time to fix them. Unless the comp ends before that :p
Mimi does have a double resist against Pin missile though but any damage can be helpful. Marshadow just needs 1 hit to break the potential sash. Lunge could also work since it'll lower the attack to +1 if they use Swords dance or - 1 if they don't lol.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom