• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Umm..Was this really needed?

Some people still complain that Blue is called Blue and not Green.

Swapping around the names of two characters who will be mentioned in the same context a LOT is amazingly idiotic and bound to create confusion. Even defending that is stupid, but actually speaking out against the people who don't think it's perfectly ok? I have no words. This place needs a dislike button.

There's a reason the Street Fighter community has to refer to Vega, Balrog and Bison as "Boxer", "Claw" and "Dictator" so it will be clear who they are talking about.

On the other hand, literal translation doesn't always mean "bad translation," either. You can have a good translation that flows well without renaming half the characters because AMURR'KA.

Hinokou said:
Especially with your example of Cofagrigus.

I noticed the slur in that one the second I saw it. I'm still kind of shocked that that name actually got approved.

Oh I noticed the Cofagrigus one immediately as well.

I was referring to the the "mong" in Emonga, with my whole point being that they changed the Emonga to Emolga, but then create Cofagrigus.

Emonga's name is partly derived from the Japanese Momonga. A flying squirrel. I get what you mean about "mong" but it's silly because people will find a way to be offended by anything.

I agree with the Bel renaming. It really bothered me initially, but Bianca soon grew on me. I accept either names, and think both fit her.

I think TCPi found it too outlandish to have a main character named EUREKA!

Oh. The whole Emolga thing was completely unnecessary. Not only is it a one letter difference, but they have kept every previous Pika-clone name the same as well as Dedenne. Emonga sounds much better and fitting imo.

Or how Genosect was changed to Genesect. What was the reasoning behind that anyway?

I prefer the names Bonnie and Biancia.

I agree with the Bel renaming. It really bothered me initially, but Bianca soon grew on me. I accept either names, and think both fit her.

Oh. The whole Emolga thing was completely unnecessary. Not only is it a one letter difference, but they have kept every previous Pika-clone name the same as well as Dedenne. Emonga sounds much better and fitting imo.

Isn't she called Bonnie in the games too? woudn't be down to TPCI then (I think)

Mong is an offensive term, possibly why it's not called Emonga.

Dogasu;5192385[URL="http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sherman" said:
Barry[/URL] got changed to Sherman,

I guess they didn't want to clash with the Sinnoh rival.

Last edited:
I prefer the names Bonnie and Biancia.

Isn't she called Bonnie in the games too? woudn't be down to TPCI then (I think)

Mong is an offensive term, possibly why it's not called Emonga.

Dogasu;5192385[URL="http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sherman" said:
Barry[/URL] got changed to Sherman,

If I recall correctly, TCPi is in charge of all Pokemon media outside of Japan, which includes game dubbing/renaming/etc. So they are the ones who changed Eureka to Bonnie.

And I understand about Emolga, but what I am saying is that "mong" is rarely used. And if you argue against that then fine, but I have never heard it (until this thread discussion) and certain words reign over it in terms of usage such as the f-word, etc etc. Like I & Dogasu mentioned earlier, I find it hilarious (sarcasm) that they change the "mong" in Emonga but create the name Cofagrigus. I find that term/word much more explicit, blatant and offensive.

Yet they change Emonga to Emolga.

Or how Genosect was changed to Genesect. What was the reasoning behind that anyway?

GenOsect sounds too similar to GenOcide

In the Japanese version the "G" in "Genosect" is pronounced like the "g" in "goat," not like the "g" in "giraffe" the way it is in the dub.

So no, it doesn't sound anything at all like the word "genocide."

Muur said:

They've reused names before.

GenOsect sounds too similar to GenOcide

Depends on how you pronounce it really.

For me, I say gen-NUH-sect, and would say the same even if it was spelled "Genosect."

Then there is also always the Japanese pronunciation as well.

It's not needed in some cases and in this case it wasn't. You can understand why the change the Japanese names like Kasumi, Haruka etc but they could have stuck with the already western friendly names. Why they didn't? Maybe Pokemon USA just like to put their own stamp on it whenever and wherever they can. I don't have a big problem with it.

Eureka actually made a lot more sense...
Bonnie only has the lemon thing going for it. Eureka is a type of lemon AND suits the whole sister to the inventor-ish brother thing.
Yeah she doesn't invents, but you can't deny it has more to it than Bonnie.

Some of the Pokemon's name changes confuse me as well, like how Cotoise is renamed Torkoal. It has the exact same meaning, they just used the "tor" part of tortoise instead of the "toise" part and flipped it.

but what I am saying is that "mong" is rarely used. And if you argue against that then fine, but I have never heard it (until this thread discussion)

I think it's mainly a British one, it's pretty popular here. Same with bollocks mainly being a British one.

Xenophobia sucks sometimes.

But it wasn't really necessary, no. But it's to be expected since all names are translated and characters are always renamed in the English adaptions of all Pokemon games, anime and cards.

The move Dragon Dive was changed to Dragon Rush. I thought I should mention that. I think in this case if was Nintendo Of America changing things just for the sake of changing it. No good reason for it at all.

I think it's kind of sad when I'm looking at a Bulbapedia page for an episode and it lists a character referring to an attack by its Japanese name (like, say, "Shell Blade" instead of "Razor Shell") as a "mistake." I mean, yes, technically it's not "correct" for a character in the dub to ever use the term "Shell Blade" but at the same time the change is so effing stupid that it's hard to think of the translators as being in the wrong there.

Some people still complain that Blue is called Blue and not Green.

SlimeStack said:
Blue's name has a reason behind it though. It was changed to reflect the names of the games.

Thing is, what point was there of keeping the guy's name as "Blue" from Gen III on?

I do wish the franchise as a whole was on the same page and decided to have the guy's name be "Green" from that gen on. If they wanted all the "Greens" to be "Blues", I think the least that could've been done was gove non-Japanese countries WaterBlue instead of LeafGreen.

Maybe I'm saying the following out of bias since I know that Gen III can still connect with today's gen, Gen VI, just indirectly, but... I think Gen III would've been a great time to retcon all the "Blue" references and have them be "Green" ones. (ex. LeafGreen, rival Green, Pokemon Adventures rival guy as Green, etc.) You couldn't connect to previous gens, and the Gen I games were made again in this gen anyway (with Gen II games being made again in the next gen).

I don't think it makes sense that we got LeafGreen and we have the rival still being named "Blue" at the same time. (Then again, maybe you don't think so either.)

This reminds me of something I read today, where apparently when Upper Deck first started translating Yu-Gi-Oh cards, they had an internal rule where they couldn't leave any Japanese cards that used simple English words, and had to spice them up OR reverse translate them into Japanese.

So, like Cyclone became "Mystical Space Typhoon" and Thunder Bolt became "Raigeki".

SlimeStack said:
Blue's name has a reason behind it though. It was changed to reflect the names of the games.

Thing is, what point was there of keeping the guy's name as "Blue" from Gen III on?

I do wish the franchise as a whole was on the same page and decided to have the guy's name be "Green" from that gen on. If they wanted all the "Greens" to be "Blues", I think the least that could've been done was gove non-Japanese countries WaterBlue instead of LeafGreen.

Maybe I'm saying the following out of bias since I know that Gen III can still connect with today's gen, Gen VI, just indirectly, but... I think Gen III would've been a great time to retcon all the "Blue" references and have them be "Green" ones. (ex. LeafGreen, rival Green, Pokemon Adventures rival guy as Green, etc.) You couldn't connect to previous gens, and the Gen I games were made again in this gen anyway (with Gen II games being made again in the next gen).

I don't think it makes sense that we got LeafGreen and we have the rival still being named "Blue" at the same time. (Then again, maybe you don't think so either.)

I agree, LG should have been WaterBlue. Throughout the series, no matter what Gen we are on, the main 2 games always feature the colours in red and blue as a homage to the original.

GS, and HGSS have the edges in those colours. Ruby and Sapphire obviously also look Red and Blue. Dia and Pearl switched it up a bit to have Dia as Blue and Pearl as pink (which is a very light shade of red) and Platinum was even sort of Yellow then BW2 famously had the 2's in the colours of red and blue, and now X and Y are coloured Blue and Red. So yeah FireRed and WaterBlue would have made much more sense. Especially as the colours themselves Blue and Red are seen as counterparts much more than Red and Green

I agree, LG should have been WaterBlue. Throughout the series, no matter what Gen we are on, the main 2 games always feature the colours in red and blue as a homage to the original.

"The original" was Red and Green, so no, they don't do that.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom