• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unconfirmed: Nintendo 3DS to be released in October: CVG reports inside info

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I think will happen after reading this post. Something shockingly special is coming. Just wait until everyone sees the pricing structure internationally, that will be a fun thread.

i really doubt they'll split black and white. maybe keep b/w on ds and the 3rd version on 3ds

also yea there's a ds logo on the b/w website but isnt the 3ds still in the ds family? maybe they didn't have an official logo for the 3ds when they built the site

just a thought...

also yea there's a ds logo on the b/w website but isnt the 3ds still in the ds family? maybe they didn't have an official logo for the 3ds when they built the site

It will play DS games, but it's a successor to the DS series, not an addition.

And the best part is, I'm the one who gets to tell everyone at school.

I did it too. Nobody cared though.

Anyways, since I won't get it till one year or two after it's released (maybe when the first redesign appears), I don'r care when it's released as long as I can see it in action next E3.

And no, even with the release date being pulled to October, B&W it's still for the current DS. B&W will be released one month before, so stop it please. As KPTitan said, we don't need to bring the debate again each time the word "3DS" pops out in the forum.

Oh and by the way, Twilight Princess wasn't "switched to the Wii". It was still released on the Game Cube AND got a Wii port, which is quite different to begin with.

If it actually does come out in October in Japan... where would that put us (America)? I don't celebrate Christmas, but I can kinda imagine it being a must-have for anybody's Christmas list here... if we end up getting it around that time, I mean.

Currently Nintendo has the practice of releasing their consoles around the same time wroldwide, thus I expect rhe 3DS to be released everywhere with at much one month away from region to region. If the 3DS does appear in October, it could be early October in the Americas, mid-October in Japan (or viceversa) and late October-early November in Europe.

If it actually does come out in October in Japan... where would that put us (America)? I don't celebrate Christmas, but I can kinda imagine it being a must-have for anybody's Christmas list here... if we end up getting it around that time, I mean.

Depends what route Nintendo takes with it. The original DS came out in Canada & the US a week before its Japanese launch... even if that doesn't happen, it's at least some precedent that the two releases could be pretty close together. The Wii also launched in most regions within just a few weeks of eachother (starting in North America).

For redesigns, Nintendo still seems to stagger the releases a bit between regions. But when launching a new generation (like the 3DS), they seem much more inclined these days to do international releases within a relatively short time.

So I was reading something on vgchartz, and it said that the US doesn't "need" the 3DS until next year, because our games market hasn't reached its peak... It said that Europe and Japan have seen declines in DS game sales so the 3DS would bring them back up again, while ours are still climbing. Do you think the 3DS will be late for the US?

That aside, what kind of price range are you thinking? All these 3D screens, high graphics, etc sound very expensive, but how high can it go? The Wii is only 200 dollars, so would it even make sense for the handheld to be over that? The XL is 190 right? I think the price gap needs to grow, as in make the handheld cheaper. I'm hoping for 180 dollars maximum, any more and I think I would just stick with my DS lite. After all, we aren't getting BW on the 3DS anyway :( (I STILL HOPE THOUGH FOR E3!)

So I was reading something on vgchartz, and it said that the US doesn't "need" the 3DS until next year, because our games market hasn't reached its peak... It said that Europe and Japan have seen declines in DS game sales so the 3DS would bring them back up again, while ours are still climbing. Do you think the 3DS will be late for the US?

I don't think the North American release would be delayed, if both Japan and Europe get it. And even after the 3DS comes out, regular DS games will continue to release for a period of time. Nor will people have to upgrade right away.

That aside, what kind of price range are you thinking? All these 3D screens, high graphics, etc sound very expensive, but how high can it go? The Wii is only 200 dollars, so would it even make sense for the handheld to be over that? The XL is 190 right? I think the price gap needs to grow, as in make the handheld cheaper. I'm hoping for 180 dollars maximum, any more and I think I would just stick with my DS lite. After all, we aren't getting BW on the 3DS anyway :( (I STILL HOPE THOUGH FOR E3!)

I'd guess that anywhere in the $200-250 range is fair game, for a launch price. I don't see it being less than $200, though. The Wii isn't a fair comparison, as it'll be 4 years old by the time the 3DS comes out (and may be getting a more expensive redesign, anyway). After 4 years on the market, price drops are expected. The 3DS will be brand new, though, and obviously it won't start at a dirt cheap price.

As for the hardware... technology has come a long ways in the years since the DS came out. There's been an incredible amount of focus and development related to portable chipsets... for use in smartphones, laptops, netbooks, etc. The 3DS can, and will, benefit from all that. Sharp's parallax barrier screens were actually conceived and developed in the early-mid 90s, so it isn't exactly "brand new".

What Nintendo does best is take existing technologies that are relatively cost-effective, and implementing them in creative ways. Fortunately, development of portable chipsets and GPUs has now advanced to the point where you can quite very impressive hardware for a significantly lower cost than even just a few years ago. We could easily see Gamecube-quality graphics in a handeheld device now, for $200-250.

Maybe Nintendo will surprise people with a price that matches the XL (at the same time giving the XL a price drop), but I doubt it.

I don't think the North American release would be delayed, if both Japan and Europe get it. And even after the 3DS comes out, regular DS games will continue to release for a period of time. Nor will people have to upgrade right away.

I'd guess that anywhere in the $200-250 range is fair game, for a launch price. I don't see it being less than $200, though. The Wii isn't a fair comparison, as it'll be 4 years old by the time the 3DS comes out (and may be getting a more expensive redesign, anyway). After 4 years on the market, price drops are expected. The 3DS will be brand new, though, and obviously it won't start at a dirt cheap price.

As for the hardware... technology has come a long ways in the years since the DS came out. There's been an incredible amount of focus and development related to portable chipsets... for use in smartphones, laptops, netbooks, etc. The 3DS can, and will, benefit from all that. Sharp's parallax barrier screens were actually conceived and developed in the early-mid 90s, so it isn't exactly "brand new".

What Nintendo does best is take existing technologies that are relatively cost-effective, and implementing them in creative ways. Fortunately, development of portable chipsets and GPUs has now advanced to the point where you can quite very impressive hardware for a significantly lower cost than even just a few years ago. We could easily see Gamecube-quality graphics in a handeheld device now, for $200-250.

Maybe Nintendo will surprise people with a price that matches the XL (at the same time giving the XL a price drop), but I doubt it.

If it does come out before Christmas, I was planning on buying it myself (I have 120 dollars) and my mom said she would pay the rest as long as it was a reasonable amount. If it was like 250, I would have to wait until Christmas xD

Is it even possible for a Nintendo handheld to cost more than one of their home consoles, like the Wii? If that's the case, then I don't really see the 3DS going above $200. But yet I don't expect it to be below the DSi's price of $170 either, because that would be REALLY weird and unreasonable.:sweatlol:

Is it even possible for a Nintendo handheld to cost more than one of their home consoles, like the Wii? If that's the case, then I don't really see the 3DS going above $200. But yet I don't expect it to be below the DSi's price of $170 either, because that would be REALLY weird and unreasonable.:sweatlol:

If the Wii gets a redesign (or the rumoured Wii HD, even if that does sound really stupid), then the thing could shoot back up to $250-300. That's one of the whole reasons that Nintendo produces redesigns and slight updates... eventually the manufacturing costs of the existing unit drop so low, that they can no longer justify selling it for a high price. Redesigning it with a scattering of new features, in a prettier casing allows them to jack the price back up... in addition to drawing in more people to buy the new one, who may not have already been on board.

But yeah, I'd say a handheld could cost more than a home console, if both are released around the right time relative to eachother. When the 3DS comes out the Wii will be a 4 year-old console that, in all honesty, didn't have tech that advanced even back when it launched. Aside from the motion control, anyway.

The 3DS is, hopefully, going to be power-packed and possibly almost a mini-Gamecube in your pocket... with the no-glasses 3-D thrown in for good measure. It sounds more advanced than the Wii, IMO.

I hope parts of your theory is incorrect, or else it will become increasingly more expensive to buy video game hardware. I'd settle that 170 is a good price, considering that the Phat started at, what, $150 in the US?

I hope parts of your theory is incorrect, or else it will become increasingly more expensive to buy video game hardware. I'd settle that 170 is a good price, considering that the Phat started at, what, $150 in the US?

Well, it IS becoming increasingly more expensive to buy video games and hardware. I'd be real surprised if it was anywhere below $200.

Intresting, if these rumours prove to be true I won't be getting it, I rather have a while to save up the green stuff or purple/blue, twenty pounds.

All I'm worried about is Cartridge size. Better not be smaller than DS.
Compare sizes:
NES
SNES
N64
Gameboy/Color
GBA
NDS

Srsly, I could barely keep track of GBA thingies.

All I'm worried about is Cartridge size. Better not be smaller than DS.
Compare sizes:
NES
SNES
N64
Gameboy/Color
GBA
NDS

Srsly, I could barely keep track of GBA thingies.

Maybe they'll finally make it use discs, or actual SD cards.

I've read on Wikipedia that it won't have Black and White as it's own games. Are they right?

Maybe they'll finally make it use discs, or actual SD cards.

CDs and handhelds don't really mix well. I don't even really like the PSP disc things.

So..How about GF doing a GSC+?
As in, extra features if you play it on the 3DS.

Or maybe they'll release two versions of the third version for the 3DS and DS.
Either a Mystery Dungeon (split the games) or make two versions of the same game..That sounds like a money waster though.

It'll be on the DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom