• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Underappreciated and Overappreciated Shinies

Anime Psyclone

Moved to PokeCommunity
Reaction score
What Shiny Pokemon do you like that most hate, and what shiny do you hate that most people like?

I love shiny Espeon a lot, but so many people hate it for really no reason other then it’s green.

Shiny Quagsire and Shiny Blastoise don’t look that appeasing. One turns purple, the other turns periwinkle with a green shell that could have been so much more... And the cannons stay silver.

I guess it depends on the eye of the beholder. Me, I love a lot of shinies that a lot of people love and a lot of people dislike. I LOVE shiny Charizard, Rayquaza, Umbreon, Luxray, Flygon, Gardevoir... my brother managed to hatch a shiny Rowlet and it looks very nice. A nice teal color. Shinies that I cannot stand are Pokemon with very little difference to the original (Garchomp, which goes in line with what a lot of people think), something that's a gross, sickeningly green color (Tauros, Ursaring, Machamp), or Pokemon with a mishmash of colors that it's just a disgusting mess (Blastoise, Arbok, Krookodile). I am also not the biggest fan of blue Pokemon having purple shiny coloration with some exceptions: Lapras looks lovely. The rest are meh and never grew on me.

I like what I like and dislike what I like. I really don't care too much if they are underappreciated or overappreciated.

I guess it depends on the eye of the beholder. Me, I love a lot of shinies that a lot of people love and a lot of people dislike. I LOVE shiny Charizard, Rayquaza, Umbreon, Luxray, Flygon, Gardevoir... my brother managed to hatch a shiny Rowlet and it looks very nice. A nice teal color. Shinies that I cannot stand are Pokemon with very little difference to the original (Garchomp, which goes in line with what a lot of people think), something that's a gross, sickeningly green color (Tauros, Ursaring, Machamp), or Pokemon with a mishmash of colors that it's just a disgusting mess (Blastoise, Arbok, Krookodile). I am also not the biggest fan of blue Pokemon having purple shiny coloration with some exceptions: Lapras looks lovely. The rest are meh and never grew on me.

I like what I like and dislike what I like. I really don't care too much if they are underappreciated or overappreciated.
Green shinies aren’t that bad. People have to understand. Pokemon who’s shinies look too similar to the original, like Igglybuff, are the worst.

Green shinies aren’t that bad. People have to understand. Pokemon who’s shinies look too similar to the original, like Igglybuff, are the worst.
I hate green. I just... simply don't like the colour. 'People have to understand' isn't possible, since people have their own opinion. I understand if someone bashes down green shinies, but I don't bash them and don't prefer them, period.

My problem is that Versifly and a lot of Poketubers put “All Green Shinies” on their top worst shinys list. I like green shiny Pokemon. It’s when the Pokemon looks almost the same in such that telling the difference is too hard that bothers me. I do all this work to get a Shiny Gastly and then Shiny Haunter and Shiny Gengar are so hard to tell apart from one another?

My problem is that Versifly and a lot of Poketubers put “All Green Shinies” on their top worst shinys list. I like green shiny Pokemon. It’s when the Pokemon looks almost the same in such that telling the difference is too hard that bothers me. I do all this work to get a Shiny Gastly and then Shiny Haunter and Shiny Gengar are so hard to tell apart from one another?

I don't know about those youtubers, maybe they don't like green?
Don't get me wrong, I sort of like some shades of green, like Rowlet's shiny, but neon green makes me go all giddy.
I don't base my lists on those youtubers.

Also, some shinies pay off in the future. Have a shiny Gengar which you worked hard for? Mega-Evolve it!
I'm a great fan of Charizard, but I don't like it's shiny forms (Megas included).

So, when it's shinies, I guess it goes down to personal preference. I'll gladly have a shiny Raichu if it has red cheeks.

I don't know about those youtubers, maybe they don't like green?
Don't get me wrong, I sort of like some shades of green, like Rowlet's shiny, but neon green makes me go all giddy.
I don't base my lists on those youtubers.

Also, some shinies pay off in the future. Have a shiny Gengar which you worked hard for? Mega-Evolve it!
I'm a great fan of Charizard, but I don't like it's shiny forms (Megas included).

So, when it's shinies, I guess it goes down to personal preference. I'll gladly have a shiny Raichu if it has red cheeks.
Worst Shiny for sure.
Spr_4d_174.png
Spr_4d_174_s.png
And it’s worse considering Jiggles and Wiggles have green eyes and in Gen 2 shiny Iggles looked like this:
Spr_2g_174_s.png

That was a perfect shiny color but you removed the green and made the pink darker?

I don't mind the green color unless it is oversaturated XD I do agree that shinies that barely look any different from the original color are the worst shinies. What's the point :/
I agree. All shinies should look different otherwise all the work you put it to get it will be for nothing! Gastly’s shiny looks cool, but Shiny Haunter has a blue mouth. And that’s it.

But, the colour difference shouldn't totally spoil the Sprite just for the sake of colour difference. I'd prefer is my shinies looked natural, and different at the same time.
My favourite shinies are Greninja and Dragonair. Dragonair gives me the feeling that it could exist in that shiny coloration too.
Litten is also my favourite by being a throwback that white cats do exist. (Since GF has not made a single white cat 'mon, except the original Meowth and Persian, but they're evil... and hideous IMO)

Underappreciated : Nidoking.
Overappreciated : Umbreon.

Underappreciated:Absol, Eevee, Incineroar, Mewtwo
Overappreciated: Greninja, Charizard, ect. Basically that gen’s popular starter.

Underappreciated? Espeon. Its green coloration back in the day was kind of ugly, but now that it's a deeper and more appealing shade of green, I think it's actually quite beautiful. And that's saying something, Espeon was basically my first Pokemon and I'm very particular about it.

The only shiny form I'd really have to say is overappreciated is Charizard's purely on the basis of how popular it is. But it's popular for a reason. Taking the dragon-looking, awesome starter from almost everyone's first handheld video game and making it a more subdued color is bound to attract that attention.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom