• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Underappreciated Pokémon

Obvious fanboyism here might be obvious, but I don't see a lot of Kangaskhan on the battle front. Scrappy, I believe, makes Kangaskhan invaluable, especially because of its very usable attack stats. With a good, reliable Normal STAB, a powerful fighting move, and Earthquake, you're looking at a well built Normal tank. Spiritombs and Sableye cower in the face of Kangaskhan!

Someone else I have appreciated lately is Scyther, rather an Scizor. He doesn't get much use, since he now has an evolved form, but really I think of Scizor as an alternative rather than an evolution. With the right moveset, good training, and fingers crossed, you can build a good Scyther.

Sandslash, good attack, good speed, perfectly usable, but I see virtually NONE of them in UU or NU. Unless Sandslash turned into an uber without me knowing, there's virtually none of them.

And I agree with Camperupt. He has a beastly special. His failing speed, in my opinion, is no reason to count him out. I work a lot with ground and steel types, and I've learned that speed is most certainly not all that makes a Pokemon useful.

Most of the Pokemon I REALLY apprechiate are pretty common though. Steelix, Marowak, Dragonite, Rhyperior, Tyranitar. Someone needs to give more love to the ground types though. Seriously!

GOLEM!!!!!!!!

I love Golem, but every generation, GameFreak has fucked him over even more.

Obvious fanboyism here might be obvious, but I don't see a lot of Kangaskhan on the battle front. Scrappy, I believe, makes Kangaskhan invaluable, especially because of its very usable attack stats. With a good, reliable Normal STAB, a powerful fighting move, and Earthquake, you're looking at a well built Normal tank. Spiritombs and Sableye cower in the face of Kangaskhan!

Miltank does everything Kangy can do (except fake out), better. That's why it isn't used very much.

I'll be frank, I had no idea Miltank also had this ability, I thought it was exclusive to Kangaskhan. I never hear the ability mentioned in the context of using Miltank either.

I've actually NEVER seen a Miltank at any of the matches I've EVER been to. However I see your point. Miltank has one thing Kangaskhan severely lacks and that is recovery. Thought upon looking up more information (regarding Miltank) it seems he's mostly a standard tier Pokemon. I mostly play Under Used, merely for the fact the teams are more diverse, which seems a better fight to me than fighting the /exact/ same team over and over in Standard.

The Rock/Ground types. Also, Megan (Meganium) is mad at most of you.

Hey, don't blame us. Meganium is a highly underappreciated Pokemon, often regarded as the worst of the Starters. That's too bad too because Meganium is one of my favorite Pokemon and one of my top 5 favorite Grass types. This thread isn't about Pokemon that suck. On the contrary, it's about good Pokemon that no one cares about or realizes are good. Hence the word Underappreciated. They don't get enough love, doesn't mean they don't deserve it.

Funny thing is, a lot of the Pokemon mentioned in this thread are Pokemon that I've EV'd, trained, and gotten to level 100 usually with impresive results: Meganium, Miltank, Kangaskhan, Lanturn, Camerupt, etc...

Dunsparce is the overlord of pokémon!:spin:

Carnivine and porygon.

I have a Carnivine named Dianeadude that I send as the helper when I do rescues in Mystery Dubngeon. I wonder if anyone gets the reference...

*FUN FACT* Venus Flytraps use a very weak yet detectable electrical impulse to trigger the initial closing mechanism! It's a PLANTIMAL/ANIPLANT!

EDIT: Oh yes, Onix. My most favorite of pokemon. Needlessly gimped because the designers did not want people getting roadblocked by Brock in gen1.

SOLROCK.

Solrock is...
-my favourite Pokémon ever.
-insanely cute, in a rock sort of a way.
-a rock shaped like the sun that floats.
-FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE.
-a pretty solid Pokémon.

Jumpluff:
-- The thing outspeeds GENGAR, for Chrissakes!
-- MASSIVE annoyance movepool to fuck with people
-- part-Flying = come in on choiced EQs and go to town with status/setup

Quilfish, Lunatone, Solrock, Snorlax, Meganium(I have no idea how to spell), Magicarp, Pineco, and Feebas.

I forgot to say, but Lanturn isn't that bad. Surf, Thunder Bolt, Ice Beam. Nothing resists all three, and it hits practically everything for a super effective (albeit a weak attack, but we'll let that slide), possibly STAB move, besides Magnezone. Decent wall, but always ignored.

Jumpluff:
-- The thing outspeeds GENGAR, for Chrissakes!
-- MASSIVE annoyance movepool to fuck with people
-- part-Flying = come in on choiced EQs and go to town with status/setup

Gengar and Jumpluff have the same Base Speed...

Also: Venusaur. Its base 82 Attack doesn't look like much, but after a Swords Dance + Life Orb, its Power Whip is enough to inflict some pain.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom