• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Underappreciated Pokémon

Also: Venusaur. Its base 82 Attack doesn't look like much, but after a Swords Dance + Life Orb, its Power Whip is enough to inflict some pain.

I wouldn't call Venusaur underappreciated at all, in any sense of the word. He is the #1 used Pokemon in UU at the moment.

Charizard actually fits the bill more, competitively. Though his popularity with the fandom does keep it from being called underappreciated as well.

As far as Starters go, Meganium is the one who fits the bill the best. 80/100/100 Defenses are very good and with access to Synthesis and Aromatherapy, she can be a great Cleric. Add Reflect and Light Screen, and you've got a great supporter and she even has some staying power. Too bad she's usually outclassed by many other Pokemon.

Dunsparse needs an evo... Seriously

>How come no one talks about Wobbuffet? Thanks to its pre-evolution, his moveset is more flexible, also it is an absolute BEAST with its counter and mirror coat. While battling with it kind of becomes a prediction game, but that honestly makes battling a lot more interesting and out-of-the ordinary with it.

>Hariyama. I think a lot of Gen 3 pokemon such as this don't get the credit they deserve. It's almost like a snorlax with a high attack stat. Give it leftovers and it's complete imo.

>Claydol. It's a ground type with not only the highest special defense of all ground types, but is also completely immune to its own type's attacks due to its Levitate, which is pretty much a revolution for ground types the way I see it. Yes, it's special attack is shitty for a psychic, but if taught moves that expand its coverage, like Earth Power and Ice Beam, it actually has potential.

>Lapras. What is wrong with Lapras? Ever since I caught that thing in HG, it has been reliable not just for its HM water moves, but for it to tell dragons to f*ck off with Ice beam has been pretty useful to me so far. I'm also very fond of Water Absorb.

>Meganium. I can't understand why people just don't like Meganium to begin with. I hardly consider it the worst starter, and it got me through a huge portion of the game. It's healing abilities are also very nice.

Another one: Typhlosion. It's got the same base stats as Charizard, but it's outclassed by a lot of other Fire types like Magmortar. But, it makes a good Choice Scarf lead with Eruption.

Dunsparse needs an evo... Seriously

So do Farfetch'd and Delibird.

>How come no one talks about Wobbuffet? Thanks to its pre-evolution, his moveset is more flexible, also it is an absolute BEAST with its counter and mirror coat. While battling with it kind of becomes a prediction game, but that honestly makes battling a lot more interesting and out-of-the ordinary with it.

Wobbuffet and Wynaut are in the Uber tier. Hardly what I'd call underappreciated

>Hariyama. I think a lot of Gen 3 pokemon such as this don't get the credit they deserve. It's almost like a snorlax with a high attack stat. Give it leftovers and it's complete imo.

Low speed and beyond terrible Special Defense as well as a lack of reliable recovery. Relatively shallow movepool and (most importantly) outclassed by better physical walls like Skarmory.

>Claydol. It's a ground type with not only the highest special defense of all ground types, but is also completely immune to its own type's attacks due to its Levitate, which is pretty much a revolution for ground types the way I see it. Yes, it's special attack is shitty for a psychic, but if taught moves that expand its coverage, like Earth Power and Ice Beam, it actually has potential.

Low HP and lack of a reliable recovery hinders it's walling capabilities. Low offenses mean it can be setup fodder for strong sweepers. More reliable Rapid Spinners (Blastoise, Donphan, et. al) in the tier.

>Lapras. What is wrong with Lapras? Ever since I caught that thing in HG, it has been reliable not just for its HM water moves, but for it to tell dragons to f*ck off with Ice beam has been pretty useful to me so far. I'm also very fond of Water Absorb.

Mostly a Stealth Rock weakness and lack of reliable recovery. Bad defensive typing (Ice is THE WORST defensive type in the game) doesn't do it any favors either. Too bad too, I'm rather fond of Lapras.

>Meganium. I can't understand why people just don't like Meganium to begin with. I hardly consider it the worst starter, and it got me through a huge portion of the game. It's healing abilities are also very nice.

I'm a huge Meganium advocate and think she should be used much more often. I like her better than most Fire type Starters. Her defensive and supportive prowess are fantastic. Hell, she's one of my all time favorite Pokemon. Unfortunately, she has a bad defensive typing (weak to 5 types), poor Status moves (Grasswhitsle? Really? Best she's got is Toxic, and who doesn't have that? At least she gets Leech Seed) and gets outclassed by Leafeon and Tangrowth in the physical bulk department and by Venusaur in the Special one. And that's only bulky Grass types.

Another one: Typhlosion. It's got the same base stats as Charizard, but it's outclassed by a lot of other Fire types like Magmortar. But, it makes a good Choice Scarf lead with Eruption.

It fails to stand out. Eruption's all it's got and with Stealth Rock, it's kind of a moot point. You're only real choice is to use it as a Choice Scarf lead and, well, there's better leads out there frankly. Though it's quite popular in general. Non competitively speaking, it is the second most popular Fire Starter thus far, only losing out to Charizard.

Last edited:
Tropius> playing XD i got owned by a tropius Synthesis+Solarbeam+Sunny Day= Complete ownage

Tropius> playing XD i got owned by a tropius Synthesis+Solarbeam+Sunny Day= Complete ownage

Houndoom. This reminded me of the Houndoom I used to annihilate that Tropius. Good moves, decent stats, and nice type combination was great.

I forgot to say, but Lanturn isn't that bad. Surf, Thunder Bolt, Ice Beam. Nothing resists all three, and it hits practically everything for a super effective (albeit a weak attack, but we'll let that slide), possibly STAB move, besides Magnezone. Decent wall, but always ignored.

Shedinja resists all three.

Magikarp, Bidoof, Delibird, Farfetch'd, Solrock, Lunatone, Dunsparce, Numel line, Surskit line, and Girafarig.

Bidoof. "Vendor trash pokemon"? Really? *Huggles Bidoof* Oh, and wooper. Wooper is awesome. And Venonat... and Sandshrew...

Torkoal. It has descent Attacking stats and very high defense. Give it a Life Orb and the right EV's and it can make a good wall AND a potent attacker.

Qwilfish, Farfetch'd and Stantler need an evolution badly.

did you read the origin of the pokemon farfetch'd? its suposed to be useless to make the player feel like an ideot. of course it needs an evelution... but i realy dont think its getting one.

and yes, stantler needs an evo. i once thought that it evolved into Arceus... fail.

same with quilfish. (and dunsparce)

Nobody has love for Wigglytuff or Clefable they're quite the tanks Wigglytuff having lotsa HP and Clefable having real high Special Defense

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom