• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Underappreciated Pokémon

Well then, let's change that.

I think Kecleon is very underappreciated. While he doesn't have the highest attack, he has a very respectable attack stat, amazing special defense, and a ridiculously huge move pool, Nasty Plot egg move making even special sets viable. Kecleon is a lot of fun to use. His ability is easily manipulated, but still pretty awesome.

As much as I like the little guy (especially its movepool), its stat distribution is pretty poor. Namely, it only has a BST of 440, and what would really help it is more HP and physical defense. If Gamefreak let it have a BST of 500 (+60 to its base stats) and divided it evenly between its HP and defense, it'd be used a lot more. Here's hoping for an (unlikely) evolution that won't fuck up its other good qualities.

If it had better durability, I would be on board with using it. It really does have a stellar movepool for support and physical attacking on the side, and don't forget that HG/SS added Recover to its movepool.

As much as I like the little guy (especially its movepool), its stat distribution is pretty poor. Namely, it only has a BST of 440, and what would really help it is more HP and physical defense. If Gamefreak let it have a BST of 500 (+60 to its base stats) and divided it evenly between its HP and defense, it'd be used a lot more. Here's hoping for an (unlikely) evolution that won't fuck up its other good qualities.

If it had better durability, I would be on board with using it. It really does have a stellar movepool for support and physical attacking on the side, and don't forget that HG/SS added Recover to its movepool.

Kecleon is strangely featured quite a lot; I wouldn't be surprised with an evolution. I'm hoping for an evolution not based on levelup, since I have like 6 Kecleons at level 100 [including a shiny one]. Mmm. Evolution.

Meowth - famous for its appearance in the anime but i never seen or heard anyone using it(including persian). Even though it has pickup as ability but I'm sure everyone prefers phanpy or zigzagoon for picking items...

Poli family - I always appreciate it being my HM slave but its been long time since Gen I seeing somebody using it.

I have a Lv. 100 Poliwrath in Crystal... anyway, Steel types. Most people lean towards huge attack power.

Mantine, Slowking, Pesian, Meganium, Tauros and Kabutops don't get as much respect as I think they deserve, though that's an opinion.

I personally think that a Pokémon's entire worth should be dependent on its tier ranking, by the way. Having a good/interesting design is almost as important (ex. Garchomp is powerful, sure, but it's ugly enough that I never use it).

I always hear people hating on Magmortar and Electivire, deeming them ugly and unnecessary. Not only do I find them awesome, but by being evos, their automatically better battlers than their pre-evos.

Mantine, Slowking, Pesian, Meganium, Tauros and Kabutops don't get as much respect as I think they deserve, though that's an opinion.

I personally think that a Pokémon's entire worth should be dependent on its tier ranking, by the way. Having a good/interesting design is almost as important (ex. Garchomp is powerful, sure, but it's ugly enough that I never use it).

I disagree with this, I don't think that a Pokemon's value should be based upon how often it is used in competitive battling.

Before being introduced to competitive battling, I liked all Pokemon alike (except maybe the common Rattata/Tentacool/Geodude/etc.). But, after seeing their movepools I can see why they're not as often used as their OU counterparts; they can do just as well as the former and still do more.

Even though some Pokemon may have mediocre movesets, I don't think that they should be judged in that manner. I'm sure that many Pokemon were more appreciated before the Physical/Special split, because many of their moves were devastated by it and did not work well with their base stats (Sceptile's Leaf Blade/X-Scissor?).

I do agree with how the design IS AS important as a great movepool. In my opinion, a good design and moveset make an ideal Pokemon, not how often it is used in battle.

~ I feel like a lost my point there :/

Last edited:
Whiscash, Furret, and Pikachu.

Whiscash can be a complete tank, attack from either the Special or Physical side, and keep restoring health with Rest.

Furret is fast, has Super Fang, Trick, and a whole bunch of stat increasing moves + Baton Pass. On top of that, it can still take hits.

Pikachu + Life Ball = stats of a fully evolved Pokemon. Also, Volt Tackle.

Aipom line
Heracross
Lileep line
Weedle line
Psyduck line
Porygon line
Smoochum line

Exploud, Meganium, Torkoal, Kabutops, and Mantine.

Masquerain. Yeah it's Bug/Flying, but it seems to be a decent special attacker (in fact I was planning on EV training one), it's design is cool, and its shiny form is downright awesome!

Bibarel. Before I reset my Pearl and lent it to a friend, I had one that was pretty handy. I know everybody hates it, but I kinda liked him.

In mentioning Bibarel, me and a friend came up with this last night.

"Bidoof used DERP! It's not very effective..."

^ Bibarel. Simple could be used way more, but I never see it. Actually I don't think I've seen anyone take advantage of Simple. I plan to.

Curse, Amnesia, Quick Attack. Yerrr.

Armaldo.
He's so awesome, yet I rarely every see people mention him.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom