• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Underrated Pokemon you like?

Chidamari Sketch

All Ancestors Standing Beside Your Bed
Reaction score
Are there any Pokémon that you like that aren't very popular?
Some of my favorite underrated Pokémon are (but not limited to) Mawile, Elgyem & Beheeyem, Beedrill, Carnivine, Exeggutor, Garbodor, and Magcargo

I adore Sawk. No one likes the poor guy due to his design, and is outclassed by other Fighting types of Unova such as Conkeldurr. I love this guy because of how useful he is in Black/White. I also love his design too~

Another underrated Pokemon I like is Honchkrow. I remember using one in Diamond and it sure helped me throughout the game. Despite how frail it is and is slower than it's pre-evolution, it is still a good Pokemon. Honchkrow's design is pretty cool too.

I don't care what anyone says, Trubbish is freaking cute, even though it's just a bag of trash.

A whole lot of them, too many to list here anyway.

Wobbuffet, Xatu and Beartic stand out for making my top ten list though.

Landorus, Thundurus, and Tornadus. I love these flippin' genie Pokes. In my opinion, they are so cute and awesome. Especially Landorus. I don't know how many times the gentle land giant has helped me through the league on White and such. :3 Those guys make my top ten list, I feel they are unloved, sadly. Poor guys...
I also like Sawk and Throh. Those guys are seriously helpful in Black and White. Throh got my through my White game, actually. Big guy was TOUGH! :)
Sawk got me through Black as well. Although I never did use him very much after the league, he still is my special guy. :3
...And I can't remember any other ones. All I know is that I love the Kami trio and Sawk and Throh very much. Poor guys get little to no love, especially the trio. :( *huggles Landorus, Tornadus and Thundurus*

MEGANIUM. Full stop. Everybody seems to hate on her, but she's one of my absolute favorite Pokemon of all time.

To a lesser degree, Jumpluff, Exeggutor, Vileplume and Bellossom as well.

Yes. I like Grass types.

With underrated I'm just going to say "I think there is a generally negative oppinion of", rather than just "not popular". Otherwise this post would be even longer.

- Beedrill. Of course, it IS the early bug, but most people like Butterfree which has gotten some buffs, while in comparision few like Beedrill. With reason though, it isn't good in any game it is in. Maybe it won't suck in one future spin off. Possibly. I hope. Still, I can say that every Beedrill I've used has served me surprisingly well and pulled way more than its own weight; it's the one pokémon that never has failed me when using it against odds, so that's definitely worth me liking it over many other better pokémon.
- Parasect. I like bugs, if it wasn't obvious. I also like unusual inspiration from creatures. Parasect is a pretty scary pokémon when you apply fridge logic, being a parasitic fungus taking control over a zombified Paras. Its stats and pretty much everything involving gameplay absolutely suck, though. But its the design and concept what I like: there's something delightfuly sinister about a parasitic creature that consumes a former pokémon, that while not "evil", still displays the mindless cruelty of nature.
- Golem (only). To be honest, the main reason I liked this pokémon is because it reminded me of Turtle Rock and other similar depictions of an island turtle. Also, in Gen I, this Pokémon is a beast, despite its low special. Of course, with generations it quickly degradated, from being an unlikely, mysterious and powerful evolution of a common and weak pokémon, to a known weak evolution of a common weak pokémon.
- Magneton and basically every compound pokémon. "It's just many of them together" a shared sentience is an awesome concept to have as an individual creature. I think it's a pretty good take at trying something different with the concept of Pokémon evolution, than just "monster gets bigger" like many were in Gen I.
- Rhyperior. I like the entire Rhydon family. And I think Rhyperior was not unnecesary, Rhydon was getting weak as generations went on. This pokémon lets them revive a line that would otherwise have been forgotten forever. Also, I kind of like the design-- it does look like a Digimon, what with the armor plating and extra stuff, but it is supposed to be as such given that's exactly how it evoles. (And it looks better than Magmortar anyways)
- Jynx. Sure, there were racist implications... but there is more than just that to the pokémon's concept, such as how apparently only her hair doesn't dissolve in thin air when she's weak, so she's more like an apparition. She is creepy and strange, as a mysterious ice humanoid ghostly woman, ideas that would be shared by other humanoid Psychic pokémon later on. Also, she's the only non-legendary Ice type that isn't a Water type in Gen I.

- Meganium. That's all that there is to be said.
- Ariados. Spinarak is adorable, specially that cry. Ariados is pretty cool and while not precisely the best thing it is certainly usable to an extent. I am a bit disappointed that they went for just a poison spider though instead of introducing right there a bug/dark huge spider of the kind that preys through brute force or something, but still, it isn't a bad pokémon and it has a good design.
- Unown. It's an useless pokémon that provides an equally useless codification, sure. But it really adds to the world, GSC, specially Crystal, would absolutely not be the same without mysterious gylphs from an ancient civilization causing creepy interferences and unknown connections to everything. It's a pokémon that, in the right situation, can be pretty creepy. It leaves more questions open than it answers, and it's basically one of my favorite ways of adding mystery to a videogame, through subtle cues with such odd characters. Lost Silver should be mentioned too.

- Masquerain. Kinda like Ariados. Surskit is adorable. Masquerain is cool and pretty adorable too, while not really useful but still can fight some things (it's a bug-type wih Ice Beam)... Just like Ariados though, I'd really have liked if instead of having (or rather, evolving into) a terrible overused typing it was Bug/Water. They really have no excuse to make it Flying with Intimidate, it's a water strider imago, it's the generation they introduced abilities. Why isn't it a Bug/Water with Levitate?
- Relicanth. It's a Coealacanth, the end.
- Armaldo. Mystery Dungeon, Anorith is adorable, and an inspiration I like. I kind of wish it evolved into Steel/Bug or Rock/Steel or something, but eh, Rock/Bug is okay too.
- The Regis. Often overlooked for some reason, or at least not as popular as the other trios (really, even below the Kanto birds?). But they provide a nice mystery to Hoenn, specially since the story was left open, along yet another subtle background story. They probably are still my favourite "lesser" trio.

- Bastiodon. 4x Fighting and Ground weakness, yeah. But it does have a ton of resistances, massive defense, and is a castle bastion.
- Drapion. This is how more pokémon should evolve. It is obviously a bug, but look! It's more evil and toxic than its base design warrants! A ton of pokémon seem almost to limit themselves to what their base design implies, such as a billion water fish or "it's a bug with wings/poison so it MUST be of the two most overused terrible types ever". This thing ditches the Bug/Poison for Dark/Poison, which is awesome.
- Abomasnow. I don't like that Ice pokémon are given a ton of defenses, and again Grass/Ice is also one of those typings, which yes, Abomasnow fails to use well. Like Parasect, though, I like this one for its design and concept. It's a yeti mixed with an snowed evergreen tree, it's awesome.
- Heatran. It seems to me it's only liked for its competitive prowness, but I like its design and concept. It's almost like a molten, primitive Metagross.
- Regigigas. See: Regi trio.
- Arceus. Yes. Arceus. A lot of people who like it is because "OMG POKEGOD THE BEST", which results in a lot of people hating it because of these people. I like Arceus, though. I like its unique design, that looks like something intricate but you can't tell what it is, it looks other, frailer than a big mon, yet somehow more intimidating. In metagaming, I think it is hands down the single best thing Game Freak could've tackled the idea of an "ultimate Pokémon" like: It isn't something stupid overpowered that outclasses anything else, no, in fact its stats would be outclassed compared to those of more specialized pokémon with higher special attack and such. Instead, they decided to make a pokémon that you can fit in any strategy, to encourage its synergy with the rest of the team, as it can fit any role, including those that wouldn't otherwise exist. And finally, I also do actually like its lore. It's interesting they ended up doing a creator deity, although noting it doesn't necesarialy reign anything as supreme. It allows them to draw a lot of parallels and take from many religions and cultures.

- Emboar. Okay, it is the third Fire/Fighting in a row. But I don't mind it that much. It's really nice otherwise, I really like the Unova starters.
- Audino. I play double battles, remember. Healing pulse is the best recovering move in those so far.
- Basculin. These are on the way of becoming some sort of cross between Quilfish and Plusle+Minun. So I might as well like them while they have hopes of not being the most forgettable thing in existence.
- Sigilyph! It's good in battles, but the main reason I mention it is because the design. Most people don't like it because it looks like someone was tripping out, but that's exactly why I like it. It looks outright surreal and abstract, with some meso-american undertones and Nazca Condor references that only add to its weirdness. This honestly is one of my favorite designs of Gen V. Also, they are involved in a subtle backstory about still watching over the ancient city in the desert ruins.
- Garbodor. I don't need to say more than what has already been said. Well, other than pointing out the vacuum cleaner design too: its arms are pieces of one.
- Klinklank (only). It is a sentient complex clockwork mechanism, I think that's realy cool in its own right. Unfortunately, I think the rest of the line is too simple, with a too gradual progression, that in the end feels a bit like filler. I'd rather have it been started here and evolve into some giant clockwork being, or merely stay as a single stage.
- Cryogonal.
- Stunfisk. With so many fish being water and everything that lives in water (except Masquerain) being a water type, seeing a fish, that lives in shallow ponds, be not only not water but an unique typing, is awesome. It is a derpy design, but hey, derpy pokémon every now and then are good. Slowpoke was that.
- Druddigon. An average dragon. No I AM UBERHAX deal, just a basic, one stage, dragon-type. That's what I'd preffer to see more of this type than anything else at this point.
- In fact, I'm just going to go ahead and say the entire Gen V.

Last edited:
-Beedrill. Everyone loves Butterfree, right? Wrong. Butterfree did nothing for my team when I used it in Red. I was so disappointed I never touched it again. Beedrill however, was a force. In SS, my Beedrill was the one who destroyed Whitney's Miltank. Needless to say, I love that Bug.

-Sawk. I don't care what anyone says, this guy is adorable. (Don't believe me? I can find fanart of him smiling and he. Is. Too. CUTE!) He was also my killer in Black and I just fell in love with him.

-Golett. Everyone wants a Golurk and I've seen more than one person swear that Golett is nothing more than dead weight and useless until it evolves. Not true, definitely not true. Golett is quite a little tank if you know how to use it...and believe me, I know how to bring out the little cutie's potential.

Golurk, Mime Jr., Mantine, Donphan, Elgeyem, Ariados and Lickylicky.

Spearow and Fearow. The anime keeps depicting them in a negative way, and everyone seems to prefer Pidgeot because he looks cooler, despite the fact that Fearow learns Drill Run and has a better stat distribution.

And I honestly believe that killer cormorants deserve more love than ugly overhyped humanoid dogs.

My Raticate is in the top percentage of Raticate! Raticate are cool.

Also things like Zebstrika and Druddigon. They're really cool, without being extremely powerful. Almost a pity, but that's half their charm.

MEGANIUM. Full stop. Everybody seems to hate on her

I can't say I've seen that much hate for Meganium, but it's true that I don't see as much love for it as the other two Johto starters (I'm not saying that hate doesn't exist, but every Pokemon is hated on at some point and I haven't been exposed to that much hate on Meganium).

I've probably used Meganium most out of the three Johto starters all the times I've played through HGSS, and it's actually a really useful Pokemon (it was very useful in my Nuzlocke run too, thanks to its great bulk and support moves). So I'd agree it's very underrated (and underappreciated, too).

- Golem (only). To be honest, the main reason I liked this pokémon is because it reminded me of Turtle Rock and other similar depictions of an island turtle. Also, in Gen I, this Pokémon is a beast, despite its low special. Of course, with generations it quickly degradated, from being an unlikely, mysterious and powerful evolution of a common and weak pokémon, to a known weak evolution of a common weak pokémon.
- Jynx. Sure, there were racist implications... but there is more than just that to the pokémon's concept, such as how apparently only her hair doesn't dissolve in thin air when she's weak, so she's more like an apparition. She is creepy and strange, as a mysterious ice humanoid ghostly woman, ideas that would be shared by other humanoid Psychic pokémon later on. Also, she's the only non-legendary Ice type that isn't a Water type in Gen I.
- Masquerain. Kinda like Ariados. Surskit is adorable. Masquerain is cool and pretty adorable too, while not really useful but still can fight some things (it's a bug-type wih Ice Beam)... Just like Ariados though, I'd really have liked if instead of having (or rather, evolving into) a terrible overused typing it was Bug/Water. They really have no excuse to make it Flying with Intimidate, it's a water strider imago, it's the generation they introduced abilities. Why isn't it a Bug/Water with Levitate?
- Abomasnow. I don't like that Ice pokémon are given a ton of defenses, and again Grass/Ice is also one of those typings, which yes, Abomasnow fails to use well. Like Parasect, though, I like this one for its design and concept. It's a yeti mixed with an snowed evergreen tree, it's awesome.
- Sigilyph! It's good in battles, but the main reason I mention it is because the design. Most people don't like it because it looks like someone was tripping out, but that's exactly why I like it. It looks outright surreal and abstract, with some meso-american undertones and Nazca Condor references that only add to its weirdness. This honestly is one of my favorite designs of Gen V. Also, they are involved in a subtle backstory about still watching over the ancient city in the desert ruins.
- Cryogonal.
- Druddigon. An average dragon. No I AM UBERHAX deal, just a basic, one stage, dragon-type. That's what I'd preffer to see more of this type than anything else at this point.

I really agree with these. Jynx, Sigilyph, Cryogonal and Druddigon being my top picks out of them.

Jynx is something I've only really learnt to appreciate lately, when I was younger I just thought it was weird. It does have an odd design, which probably puts a lot of people off. But the thing is, Jynx is unique in a group of around 650 monsters (same with a few of the ones also listed above) which is more than can be said for some of the more popular, well-loved Pokemon. It's also no slouch in battling either.

Anyway, some of my picks would be:

- Volbeat. It's just so ridiculously cute (seriously, look how cute it is) and I love its design. Plus I like real life fireflies a lot too, so that helps. It's also got a nifty ability in Prankster, with Tail Glow, Baton Pass, Encore and Thunder Wave. Yeah, it's quite weak, but who cares, it can be generally useful in battles aswell as looking so adorable. More people should like it!

- Mawile. Definitely underrated now that Sableye has made it to the big leagues with Prankster. I've always preferred Mawile over Sableye, I just think it has a more interesting origin (Sableye is interesting as well, I won't deny that). It is also quite useful in terms of battles too. Of course, it isn't the greatest Pokemon, its stats are low in most places, but I do think a lot of people don't give it the credit it's due so it's a really underrated Pokemon imo.

- Carnivine. It's probably underrated due to people seeing it as forgettable -- single stage Grass-type with nothing really allowing it to standout. It's just a plant with no special attributes (though arguably one of the more interesting types plants we have in the real world). It's kind of similar to Victreebel in terms of its design and concept (the anime seems to think so aswell, with it having James' head in its mouth often just like Victreebel did) and I love Victreebel, so that might explain why I like it.

- Lumineon. Yeah, Lumineon is often poked fun at, but I really love its design and it's definitely one of the better looking fish we have. I just wish it had more to work with, so people don't have a good reason to poke fun at it. :( I'd say it's underrated because it's gained a reputation as being generally sucky, but I still like it nonetheless.

I might post back another time with more, since this post is too long for my liking right now. :p

Absol. Such a Misunderstood Pokemon and one I can relate to so well.

You have probably misread the title of this thread, because Absol is one of the most loved pokémon :D

Anyways, here are mine: Slowpoke family, Chinchou, Xatu, Misdreavus, Girafarig, Poochyena/Mightyena, Wingull, Masquerain, Manectric, Spoink, Duskull, Tropius, Chimecho, Hippopotas, Sawsbuck :)

Absol. Such a Misunderstood Pokemon and one I can relate to so well.

Er, Absol is one of the most beloved and fawned over Pokemon ever. It's arguably more popular than the Gen III starters.

Perhaps you meant underrated in the battling department?

Last edited:
You have probably misread the title of this thread, because Absol is one of the most loved pokémon :D

Er, Absol is one of the most beloved and fawned over Pokemon ever. It's arguably more popular than the Gen III starters.

Perhaps you meant underrated in the battling department?

Different circles have differing opinions.

I'm not saying it doesn't have it's own Fan-base,
As does any other Pokemon named in this thread.

Just Saying it doesn't get the respect it deserves.
In the Anime, it's treated as a Pariah and, yes even in competitive battling,
it's often glossed over just because it doesn't measure up to some Arbitrary "Tier" system.

No. I didn't misread the thread.

for starters...,meganium and serperior everyones like "omg like there weak dude like pick the stronger ones there like totally better" but i dont like pokemon based on stats soooo

in general..beedrill, illumise, parasect, scolipede, venomoth, dustox, weezing,ledian,arbok, stuntank,octillery,pinsir,sawsbuck, among others....

Tyranitar.

I have always hoped there would be more with this Pokemon, but there never is. If they gave T-Tar to half the trainers they give Dragonite too, I might not be as upset with the lack of appearances.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom